1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

grade so far

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by steel1031, Apr 26, 2013.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011

That and the fact the media likes to grade this thing, too.

2. bignasty92

bignasty92 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So far seems like a good solid draft. Right now I say B+. Lets see what happens the last rounds, might grade higher or drop like hell! :cool:

3. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I would go:

Jarvis Jones: A+
    Le'Veon Bell: B-
    Markus Wheaton: A-

I'm not even that down on Bell, but there was a slew of other prospects I was hoping for. I personally didn't see RB as that big of a need, especially with the signing of Stephens-Howling.

Obviously I was going for Arthur Brown. But even to pass up on Margus Hunt (obviously not a need, but a tremendous player), DJ Swearinger, David Amerson etc.... As far as RBs go, I liked Lacy, Franklin and Ball a bit more to Bell. However, I completely understand why they took Bell. They don't want a part time RB. They want a 3 down BELLCOW RB. Now's lets just hope they use him in that capacity.

Markus Wheaton is a WR I coveted, and had him and Ryan Swope as 3rd round options. I think Wheaton can contribute immediately. Actually, I could easily look at this draft and say the first 3 picks will all be immediately productive.

Colbert is plugging needs and getting good players in the process. Now let's go get a Safety, an interior offensive linemen, another DB, an ILB and a QB and call it a day!

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I would say:

1. Jones - He was my BPA at #17, and he fits a need. I can't give that pick anything other than an A.

2. Bell - This pick KILLED me last night. I usually trust the front office even when they take someone that I didn't want, and pass on guys that I want. However, there have been a few times recently where I have felt really bad about a pick, and my bad feelings are usually justified. 2007: Matt Spaeth - we didn't get 3rd round value out of him the 1st time around, especially leaving Marshal Yanda (my guy) on the board; 2008: Bruce Davis - nuff said; 2010: Jason Worilds - TBD this year, but so far nowhere near 2nd round value; 2011: Marcus Gilbert (TBD). So on those few occasions where I have strongly disagreed with a pick, I have generally been right to feel that way. Well that's how I feel about the Bell pick. It's more about the players who were left on the table than Bell, but I don't see Bell as anywhere near the best RB in this draft. How many successful tall RBs do you see in this league? There are very few, and the ones who are successful (AP, S. Jackson) are freaks. A tall RB has a harder time getting his pad level down on contact, and Bell does not run with enough power to overcome that at the NFL level. He also doesn't show enough of a willingness to attack defenders for the extra yard, at least not as much as you would expect from a bigger guy. He seems to me to be a big guy who wants to be a scat back. If we were going to grab a bell cow back, I would have strongly preferred Lacy or Franklin, maybe even the underrated Stephan Taylor. As for players we didn't take here who I think provide more value - the list is long: Keenan Allen, Arthur Brown, Jamar Taylor (day 1 starting corner for Miami), etc. - many players. The good news is that Bell will be our day 1 RB, and will put up decent numbers. However, I'm not sure that he makes us that much better. I certainly think that Ahmad Bradshaw could have come in cheap, and an RB stable of Bradshaw and our other guys would give the same production in 2013. So, he'll look like a good pick in 2013 because he'll be the guy generating numbers, but will he be a difference maker, or will it just look that way because our O-line got healthy? I'll stop ranting on this one and just say - I hope I'm wrong. Grade D

3. Wheaton - He's a really underrated WR prospect. He makes me think of a cross between Wallace and AB. I know there's a lot of teeth gnashing over his size, but the good bigger receivers were gone (bad move passing on Allen in the 2nd), and we needed to get a receiver who would impact day 1. He will. He's that polished and ready. Grade B

5. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    The team addressed needs. Needs we all were asking for. Solid draft so far.

Now to get a safety,ILB and tight end.

6. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    i know you can grade the draft yet but you can grade whiether you are happy with the picks. i know a cowboys fan who is pissed. i am sure the jets fans are wondering what they are doing so i think it is safe to grade the picks.

7. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Wheaton looks more like brown on steroids then Wallace. Have you seen thus dude he us ripped. I saw his combine photo and you cab clearly see why he wins the ball when battling in the air.

8. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    The FO is drafting high character guys as mentioned earlier for a reason. Colbert drafting BPA is bull. The FO has decided to draft good guys,goodplayers who fills a need and this can be dangerous because you can miss of really great talent that way.

I will wait for a grade at this point but will point out a few things:

Jarvis Jones- Even though I had him as my #1 mock I'm really not that crazy about the pick. Forget his medical issue for a moment. Right now he's a one trick pony. His run defense and dropping into coverage has been questioned by a few. It also means we've wasted another high pick as it seems our #2 pick Worilds isn't what they were hoping for.

L. Bell--- He's another great guy and very good player. I mentioned on another poster's thread when he had bell in later rds Bell would go much higher and could be the 1st RB taken. He's Big 6'1" and 240 lbs running a 4.6 40 AND has the 3rd best 3-cone drill amonst ALL RBs. He's durable and had 3 games over 200 yds. He's a GREAT fit for us BUT we passed on Talent when we passed on ILB Brown who I was hoping we'd get and to note J. Franklin is still there.

Wheaton- He's a Clone of Brown but faster and Stronger ( 20 rep @ 225 ) meaning we have three guys who do the same thing--Brown-Sanders- Wheaton. I guess since we matched Sanders offer and then his agent went running his mouth about his next contract has to be big the Steelers decided to pick his replacement now so this pick is really to protect us next year and remember, WR is one of the hardest positions to learn and master..

I'm not a fan of David Amerson or Montee Ball at all and would have passed on them easily. I like Lacy but Bell is better for us. Franklin would be even better if we could have got him in the 4th.

Now I'm praying for Phillip Thomas safety in the 4th. I just got home from work and I don't think he's been drafted yet.

Cajun-

9. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Cajun I thought they said bell had the best cone time because they said the best last year was Rainey. I could be wrong but I liked this pick at first and it has grown on me even more. Of all the backs I think he has the most upside. Lacy was running through holes the size of Texas thanks to his oline bell wasn't.

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    :this!:
    I did not invest alot of time into RBs this year as I saw it more of a Day 3 type of need. In hindsight, here are my thoughts.

Eddie Lacy & Montee Ball ran through holes the size of Central Park. They had incredible O-lines and their offenses were geared for their success. Don't get me wrong, I really like them as RBs and believe they will be success in the NFL,but where they played really did make them look better than they may be.

Bell had a terrible O-line and an even worse QB this year. Very little skill at WR. Bell WAS the Spartan Offense and still succeeded. I am seeing some special qualities in his tape now. I know most aren't as high on Jonathan Dwyer as I am, but I see some similarities between him and Bell. Bell is bigger and more physical though. As long as Haley is committed to utilize him correctly, I think we are all going to be pleasantly surprised with Bell.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, that was incorrect. Rainey did have the best 3-cone in 2012, but Christine Michael had the best this year. Bell was a top performer, though.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I totally agree. I think Bell is the best of the crop, I was never high on Lacy for reasons you already gave and Ball I liked but has ran behind a great line too and has a lot of milage already. I know people are down because they wanted other players but Bell is a great pick.

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    bell is eddie lacy plus. we got the better guy by far. with LSH and wheaton we got two very highly rated return men too we needed. i'm not sure how you can give the bell pick a D elvis.:cool:

14. TheSteelHurtin2188

Nov 30, 2011
    Ok but Heck at his size top 3 is still awesome. He has what 50 pounds on Rainey.

15. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I am going to run with the pack and give the draft thus far a B+ .. Its way too early to even consider how this will turn out for all of the reasons stated previously. It is off season though so we need to talk about something and I cant wait until August. Will probably get to the Burgh this year .. Looking at the Turds game...

Bman

16. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    ya too early to grade this draft,, last years draft got an A-.....now look at that mess..DD tore up his knee ,Rainey is gone, T'amu DUI

17. noitall0605

noitall0605 Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    C , so far, don't really mind the Jones pick but think the RB and WR were not great value. Hope to see some size added today. The Steelers have been getting their asses kicked up front for the last 3 years. I don't look at rankings. I look at obvious running downs, 3rd and short. Both sides of the ball need to get stronger.

18. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Regardless of what grade we have...Bengals had an even better draft. They might be poised for a deep playoff run next year.

19. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah and they might be poised to crap out as per every year. I see people predicting Bengals every year as being a threat.

Wont happen.. Even if they win the AFC North they still dont have the coaching personnel to make a run

20. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    this cracks me up. its kinda like a few years ago when the browns drafted well after doing so good in free agency. i think they won 3 games

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Don't lump me in that group, I liked Mendy and Sweed, the rest of the picks didn't do anything for me, thought it was very uninspiring.

22. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    b- , we missed a lot of picks , too high for bell a qb with no sense no lb no depth on oline and we lost a 3rd round next year in the process
    people that i would have liked : swearinger k.allen a.brown barret jones quentarious smith john simon hugh thornton bw webb

23. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I like those guys as well but when u take a close look at what we have done it looks great. I couldnt handle another year of seeing batch on the sideline. I like him but its time to move on

24. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    jones would have been still around now , like dysert and bray , we miss arthur brown or swearinger to take bell at 48 , in the 4rd we traded our next 3rd to land a safety that could have been around 5 spot later and we miss barrett joines to land this laundry. this draft should have benn perfect with all the holes we have , spence will not recover we still have foote no depth an oline spaeth and questionable depth at dt/de . i don't know i'm not happy expecially loking at san francisco and baltimore flying away

25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Bell pick is a real head scratcher for me also, Oh well can't say I told you so with evaluaters of RB, OL, CB
    for the Steelers. I hope he makes me look bad, I am willing to give the kid a chance.