1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotta Love James Conner

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...fan-battling-cancer-ahead-of-win-over-browns/

I hadn't seen this anywhere on the board, so I apologize if it was posted on another thread. I get the frustration with Conner due to injury, but how can you not like him just as human being? A guy sent Conner a Tweet telling him about his friend, who is battling a rare form of cancer. Conner insisted on meeting them before the game Sunday.

Oh, and fcuk cancer. (That is what the guy had on the back of his jersey.) If I'm being overly sentimental about this, bear with me. My best friend has beaten cancer twice, once as a teenager and again two years ago. I absolutely get why the cancer patient's buddy was crying while they had their moment with Conner before the Browns game.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    That’s pretty nice of conner to do that

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    That was a class act by Conner

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Conner definitely gets it...

He's a very positive force for the team and city imo

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Love James Conner and I hope he can put his injuries behind him. He is a solid and productive player when healthy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    JC is human being before a star football player.
    He has very humble beginnings and hope that he never forgets
    where he came from and continues to help people with his kindness.
    Hail to PITT!

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I forgot to mention that I found out about this while watching Inside the NFL. They interviewed the guy with cancer and his buddy, then brought Conner in via remote. Conner insisted that it wasn't just a moment. He told them to stay in touch.

The guy with cancer did clarify one thing. What he is is not untreatable. He said it is just so rare that doctors aren't sure what is the best treatment. I'm not sure that is a comforting distinction, but it is worth getting it right.

Somebody should have told the writer of the story I posted, and a few others, that it might be worth getting the last names of the two guys as well. I know ..I know...fun at parties...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Hey Formerscribe.

This is just an observation of human-nature in general. Here we go: When someone confronts adversity in this world it usually humbles that person especially to that specific circumstance. How many times have we seen a "celebrity" or one of their loved ones affected by something that they feel the need to share it with the world for whatever reason.

Because of their celebrity status, they have been given a much larger platform to voice awareness to whatever the issue is because of who they are. In a strange way, maybe they are somewhat "obligated" to help bring attention to the issue? They have greater access to more resources to spread the word on a larger scale. Once again, they are not obligated to do so but it could only do good IMO. It could bring hope to the victim or just let him/her know that they are not alone. And that is great! Simple rule of thumb if you are genuinely concerned about that person, and that particular issue, just envision yourself in his/her shoes.

Often it takes some sort of wake-up call for other people to empathize and become active to one's personal battle, whatever it may be. I am glad and proud of Connor for what he did. Now, I am not saying this is JC's situation at all. I just wish that it would not take one to endure a personal dilemma before they become an advocate for something like cancer. I am sure that there are plenty of people in this world that fall into that category we just do not hear about them.

So, in wrapping this up, for all of us, do not wait for tragedy to strike before making your move to become an Agent of Change or an Advocate for a specific issue. Unfortunately, there are enough "bad" things in this world to choose from that all of us can get involved with to make a difference. Take care all.

STEELWINDS AKA The East Side Kid

9. FeedTheMachineFTM

FeedTheMachineFTM Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Its called perspective and the young man gets it, to its fullest !Hometown kid from up here in Erie PA !!Love this kid!

• Like Like x 2
  10. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    We have a team full of incredible people. It's so refreshing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019
    Yes, we do uncblue012.

No more AB or Bell and their non-sense. Nothing more than self-centered pricks. Unfortunately, there will be others that pass through our doors. Actually, people like AB and Bell really have their own set of inner personal battles to deal with. They are just to "blind" to see them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hope the football Gods see this and grant him injury free for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I'd love him more if he was playing!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. The Glory Days

The Glory Days Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2017
    Dang, son. Keep this up and I'm gonna have to start appreciating you. I think if I had read some things like this from you before we got into it, I wouldn't have been so rude.

I still think you're a stick in the mud, but as sticks in the mud go, you're not so bad. ;)

15. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I know Conner's step-sister and she is a top notch person also. She got her bachelor degree last spring and now is going for her masters while working weekends at a local restaurant. There is nothing phony or pretentious with these young people. They are both humble and hard working.

• Like Like x 1
  16. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    And even though JuJu is in that weird spot with the 100-mph incident, dude seems genuine as well.

17. STEELWARRIOR

STEELWARRIOR Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hello Human Kindness!!! In life a lot of folks never really have the unfortunate experience to witness human suffering at a magnitude, that a war or natural disaster can create let alone a rare uncurbable disease can create. Having served in three wars and being deployed to a few third world country's I have a new found respect and outlook on human life as a whole. Human life is precious and its worth fighting for no matter the battle your faced with live every day like it was your last, love your family, friends and neighbors and try to touch someone's life in a positive way each day you will be enriched by it. Go Steelers!!!!:herewego!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The funny thing is the post you are replying to is a very me kind of post. I was mostly writing about the things that were done wrong in the article in my original post, such as not getting the last names of the guys with Conner and perhaps not understanding the form of cancer he has properly.

I just used the link to share more detail. The really good source is the piece on Inside the NFL.

Stick in the mud is not unfair. :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    He needs to change his running style imo. Seems like he wants to hit the defender harder than the defender hits him.

20. STEELWINDS

STEELWINDS

Sep 12, 2019

Hey STEELERWARRIOR.

It sounds like you have seen your fair share of suffering. It really does humble one. As a computer teacher in a major metropolitan school district, I built on-line classes for students who were too sick to attend school. The medical issues ran a wide gamut; from a "curable" student who broke a leg to a child with terminal cancer. Very disheartening. It really does help one put life in perspective. Take care.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I'm wondering if he's hurt or
    If it's in house punishment with the kid regarding that incident...

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a great story. Very glad we picked Connor up.

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just saw Conner has been ruled out for the Cards game.....

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw that, class move all the way.

I think any of us who have know someone who has been afflicted by that insidious disease has a deeper appreciation for what Conner has done. Especially any of those among us that have beaten it themselves.

Him and JuJu are easily my favorite players on the team.

25. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    We have a number of incredible fans on the message board too!