1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Got to fix the run defense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Da Stellars, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Even at full force it really wan't good all year.

They need to take a long and honest look as what is not working when trying to stop the run.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Stephon Tuitt being out did not help at all. Then again, counting on Stephon Tuitt to stay healthy is a risky proposition anyways. That alone is not the issue though.

Inefficient execution was the problem. That is not just a players issue. That is a coaching issue.

Keep in mind Butler's contract expires soon. Kick him to the curb. Either outsource a new Defensive Coordinator or promote Teryl Austin and give him another shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I might be nuts, but when I think of the shortcomings of this team it's not run defense. I could be a moron. That is very possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Sustained drives do wonders for the run and pass defense. Our D got a cardio overload in 2019.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Hawaii 5-0

Hawaii 5-0 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2019
    I thought the same thing so I looked it up.

Steelers ranked 3rd in the NFL, allowing only 3.8 ypc.

that's pretty darn good, and the least of our worries...

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-yards-per-rush-attempt

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Agreed.

Let's not overreact to yesterday's game. That's an offense that broke the 40 year old single season record for most rushing yards by a team in a season. I don't know where they stand historically on an average rushing yds/game, but in terms of a 16 game season they're historically the best. They averaged 206 yds/game this year. The Niners were second at 144 yds/game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Yesterday was the only time they allowed a 100 yard runner, and that was Baltimore's back up. The D had a long game and a very long year. Yesterday pretty much every one sucked, you cannot expect a D to win every game for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Long runs were made at Hargrave/McCullers/Alualu yesterday.

Loosing Tuitt hurt but he can’t be counted on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah that Baltimore line is built to smash the run at you. San Fran couldn’t stop them either. Our defense wasn’t too bad vs the run. If we could score any semblance of points we are a 12 win elite team

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    People need to understand that Baltimore historically was built on that principle anyways. They live to smash the football and play defense. That has been their identity since their inception.

Now, the reason why the Ravens are having so much success is that many NFL Defenses are designed to stop the pass. That aspect of the NFL continues to increase in terms of its explosive capabilities and the new generation of QBs who are exceeding expectations early; Patrick Mahomes II being the prime example. The issue now for NFL Defenses is that there is not enough run stopping capability to combat heavy run based teams like the Titans or the 49ers. Here is where though the Baltimore Ravens SHATTER this mold; a QB who can not only run but also throw. The passing aspect is annoying enough but add his ability to run and that will cause MASSIVE issues. This is also not accounting for the fact that Baltimore has a ridiculous STABLE of Tight Ends that would make just about any NFL Team envious.

Keep in mind this next decade of NFL will likely be centered around Dual Threat QBs given how much protection they get as it stands. Due to this, Lamar Jackson is likely going to be looked at as the progenitor of this new wave movement. This in turn, will force defenses to attempt to not just stop the run but also account for the QB. That alone is difficult for any defense; great ones like ours or otherwise. However, this all leads to Roger Goodells endgame plan anyways; high scoring games. This appeases to not only the causal fan but the Fantasy Players as well; said segment going to be even bigger in the next decade the same.

Once again everyone, context needs to be accounted for here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    yup i mentioned that. Teams built defenses for passing. Ravens are bringing out the old jumbo heavy run stuff and these speedy lineman/backs are getting out muscled

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. blake duerden

blake duerden Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2017
    yup , movin the chains on offence will solve a lot

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Romans5:8

Romans5:8 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It seemed to me that in the Baltimore game, the Steelers ran their nickel package a lot. Rarely were they in their base 3-4 package. Yet, when they were in their 3-4 package Baltimore seemed to have a harder time running against it.

Why the Steelers chose to run as much nickel as they did vs a run heavy offense like Baltimore being led by RGIII, is puzzling to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    We need to be better at run defense in Nickel then....

16. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Coordinators living in their fears lol. Lamar you can only slow him down but RG3 you should be able to shut down

17. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They also seemed to have an outside linebacker flying at Griffin whether he had the ball or not most of the game. Maybe that was a flaw in the design. Maybe it was just a lousy job of recognition by the linebackers, especially Dupree.

That said, overall the run defense was decent this season. The yards per carry put them among the best in the league. The biggest issue for the defense was that they were on the field so much. The offense didn't just hurt the team by failing to produce enough points. They also made things incredibly difficult for the defense by failing so badly in time of possession and by turning the ball over too much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    It's an area they need to improve on. Watt too, he falls in love with rushing the passer so much he gets caught of position and losses containment.

Steelers were take away kings and sack masters.

But often they got run on.

When a team runs on you and you can't return the favor on offense, your headed toward a losing day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Most times Watt is being smothered. He is the focus to take out of the game. And yet he forges through.

Lets not leave out the great seal the edge Alvin. How about that performance against the crows. How many times was he juked out of his shoes going after RG 2 1/2 as the running back went right by him? I believe it was 4 times. Same play.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Fix the offense and the Defense is off the field a lot more. TOP is key to keeping a fresh defense on the field. So many other things to fix other than run D. To me this is about as much a priority as improving our fake punts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chainmover1

Chainmover1 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2014
    The D showed great promise this year. Adding just 1 more visible type could mean #1 status. A lot of early mocks have the Steelers taking a CB. Good, maybe they will get it right this time.

Either one of thse 2 of the 44 out there looks like a steal.

Kyle Van Noy ILB 29 NE TBD 15 57 7 15 3 $5,878,548 UFA

Cory Littleton ILB 26 LAR TBD 16 134 4 5 2 2 $3,095,000 UFA

LB Vince Williams --plays hard but really this gutsy 7th rd draft choice is limited and is at best a quality backup. On the advice of an astute poster, I put him in a mock draft. I was surprised and pleased he was actually taken but if you want a #1 D he is a spot starter or backup.

The poster having them #3 at 3.8Yds/P is on target. They were just as good in Total D. Yds/P is the more meaningful stat.

Total D
    5 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 18.9 303 1,030 304.1 4.7
    Yds/P
    3 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 18.9 303 1,030 304.1 4.7
    The 4.7 Yds/P is actually tied for #1. Both San Fran and the Pats also were 4.7

BTW: They were also #3 in Pass D.

22. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    I’ll admit to have underestimated Jackson from last year, but I’m not sure he’s going to change the game in the way you’re suggesting here.

Steve Young and Randall Cunningham were dual threats. Mike Vick as well. They were all great in their prime, but didn’t change the centre of the game.

What the Ravens have done - very well - is designed an offense to stump DCs. But in this, they remind me of the Dolphins use of the wildcat, or even Seattle’s Legion of Boom - unstoppable for a season, but difficult to sustain. DCs figure out ways to improve, a slight rule change or point of emphasis disrupts some of the core mechanics of the system... etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This simply isn't true. They were among the league's best defenses in yards per carry allowed. Yes, they sucked against the run in the final game of the season, but that was not indicative of the team's performance all season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't drafting a CB early, they just paid Nelson and Haden last season, and they drafted Layne last year.

25. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Wow Jball, you gave us 3 options to choose from: 1) "I might be nuts"; 2) "The Steelers run D is not a problem"' and, 3)"I could be a moron". You leave us no choice but to AGREE! :roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1