1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodell says Pro Bowl might go

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Thigpen82, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75428 ... sideration

Couldn't see if anyone else had posted this.

Goodell unhappy that fans were booing a lacklustre display of football that he created. Presumably he will respond to this by making it even easier to score.

Or am I being unfair? Is the problem with the pro bowl the timing, the money, the lack of incentive... what?

2. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Nobody ever really cared about the Pro Bowl.

But they should have left it for a couple weeks after the Superbowl. Then, all of the players who were voted in could play (No player who is going to the SB is going to play currently), and people who are jonesing for football would be happy to see what amounts to a light exhibition.

3. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It's nothing but a popularity contest. They should just have the voting, pay the players who were nomiated and call it a day.

4. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    The problem with the Pro Bowl is that the players don't care about it. Once upon a time, and I'm probably going back to the '60s, the difference between the winning teams share and the losing teams share was important to the players and they played accordingly. Today? it probably covers bar tab for the week in Hawaii.

This game has not been worth watching in at least 30 yrs. Moving the game before the SB, or after the SB won't change things. The top players who've been to it before, very often look for a way out. Players from SB teams largely skipped it when it was a week after.

So if the players don't care about it, why should I?

5. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    As another member posted in a different thread, move it after the Super Bowl and have it in England instead of the regular season England game. Then all the fans in Europe get to see the big names and we don't have to waste a regular season game overseas.

6. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They should just officially make it a two-hand touch game and play it on the beach. They can play 6 on 6 with all players eligible as receivers, and have each team play every play with 5 NFL players and one hot, bikini-clad cheerleader.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    The Pro-bowl reminds me of the sand lot games we played as a kid. You have to count to 5 before you can rush the qb and 3 completions for a 1st down. We hit a lot harder though! :yeehaw:

8. Jack LHambert

Jack LHambert

Oct 18, 2011

This would make perfect sense here. Whoever said this, I want as the commish immediately! :cool:

9. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I guess I'm more intrigued that the pro bowl increasingly looks like the no-tackle, all-scoring arena football league that Goodell seems to want the NFL to be. Now, he's saying that there's a problem with it if the fans don't like it. Is that a light at the end of the tunnel? Is he starting to see sense?

10. Coke Oven

Coke Oven Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Bring back the college all star game.

11. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    Or it could be like that episode of the A Team, when they go to Eastern Europe...

12. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Lord, talk about a game that became a joke!

13. ScottChab

ScottChab Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The game is a joke and the players hardly go all out. The people in England might get to see the big names but they won't get to see them play good football.

14. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Could we make it be in the middle of the season and the winner get home field advantage in the super bowl? Oh wait that's baseball

15. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I'm a big English Premier League fan. I follow it as best I can on cable, internet etc. A few years ago there was exhibition game at Heinz Field between Everton/Chelsea, had I not been away on business, I'd have been there in a heatbeat. I'm a bit dissapointed that they haven't had anoter one. On the other hand, I can give a rat's *ss about the MLS. Why? EPL is quality play, MLS stinks.

So it would be for NFL fans in Europe. I can understand why they didn't care about NFL Europe, its like MLS and it stinks. Same with the Pro Bowl. But give them a real game they pay they through the nose to see it at Wembley.

16. Steeldefense08

Steeldefense08 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I know players arent gonna go 110% during a pro bowl but i expect them to run faster than a jog into the line of scrimmage. it was ridiculous.

17. diehardsteel

diehardsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Good riddance,it's a joke and wee don't need it.

18. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    if guys are turning down a week in honolulu, think they're going to embrace london?

19. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'd watch a hour long skills challenge like the NBA has the 3pt shoot out and slam dunk contest....the trick is what skills they could compete in? If the odds of getting hurt are lowered more guys would participate.

20. rukus4ever

rukus4ever Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    This.

21. colsteveaustin

colsteveaustin Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    :hmmm: ....Good Points

22. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Savaran said that they use the profits form the probowl for the retired players fund.... They'll have to figure out some money generator....

23. Cru Jones

Cru Jones Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The players that have shown the most excitement and enthusiasm in the Pro bowl are the young guys.

Having a game that has the best young talents go against each other would be fun to watch IMO. Guys that have 3 years or less in the league. Guys that are still trying to make a name for themselves.

The NFL version of the NBA rookie vs sophomore all star game.

24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have never watched a Pro Bowl and doubt I ever will.
    I know there's little defence, but are there any sacks at all, or do the players just let the QB sit back there forever until he throws it?

25. snipit73

snipit73

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah!!! Look out Harrison the fines are about to increase :roflmao: