1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good to have Max back

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    With out Big Max Attack 4 games With Big Max Attack 2 games
    375 total rush yards 359
    93.75 avg rypg 179.5
    14 sacks 4
    3.5 avg pg 2

I know its only 1/2 the sample size but I like the way these numbers are going with 78 back!

2. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I always thought max was underrated. I like him and am very impressed with his play considering he was not in football shape.

3. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    His return has definitely made a positive impact. There was such an outcry for him and Flozell, and it was maddening to hear management say 'we'll work with what we've got'. Hope he stays healthy.

4. tarheelsteel

tarheelsteel Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    It's not even just that he's clearly a better player than the Scott, but I also think he's smarter and can play a leadership role on the o-line. Also, aren't he and Ben good friends? That's gotta help some too.

5. SteelerD

SteelerD Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think if nothing else at least Ben seems to be able to look downfield for a split second longer before he has to peek over his shoulder. I think after the Balt game he was convinced that the left side of the O Line couldn't block anybody and was peeking over his shoulder as he dropped back. Now with Max (who he seems to trust back there) he is looking at his receivers instead. I want to see how this offense can perform with Max in the lineup and no wind to carry all the 20 yd+ passes away.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    In fairness, Suisham would probably do better at Tackle than Scott.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Which begs the question, why was Max waived in the first place? It makes me question some of the personnel decisions that have been made with regard to the OL. We waive Starks and Flozell and in my opinion, they were two of our best linemen last year. We've also waived Urbik and he is now an effective starter with the Buffalo Bills. It looked like Tony Hills was playing well in the pre-season and was poised to step in as a starter at LG possibly and then all of a sudden, he's gone. Really, what's going on with these questionable personnel moves on the OL? Any theories? :confused: :confused:

8. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I questioned the Hills cut from the moment it was made. There's nobody (including Kugler) who could convince me that Trai Essex is a better option at G or T. I could care less that he's our 3rd string Center. The Urbik situation might be different. Sometimes a change of scenery or just experience in the League makes a big difference. However, there's no question that he's been playing well for the Bills since they picked him up. Hopefully Max has brought that veteran leadership to the O-line that was missing. It looks like that's the case.

9. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I guess cutting Max and Flo was about the money. I supported cutting Flo even though he did a great job for us last year. At the time Colon was back. I still thought Starks was our best option at LT and it seemed pretty obvious without him even before the injuries. Our big sweaty guys in the interior seem to be more injury prone than the big sweaties across the league. Maybe it only seems like it. Could be conditioning on top of short camp.

10. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    They said is was about the money, but if they knew Starks' neck was healed why cut a guy in his prime years? He could have at least 5 more quality years here.

On the other side of things there are some old guys on defense who are eating up cap space... To me there should been more deliberation about Hampton, Smith, Farrior, Foote, Bmac, Foote, Hoke and Clark.

I give props to Colon for coming back, but I would never pay a guy big dough coming off an achilles injury.

11. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I thought withe surgery that he was done.Im glad I was wrong.Now we have two tackles and a center....how about the guards?

12. Tiny

Tiny Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I wouldn't lose any sleep getting rid of Clark. Every game, he goes for the big hit instead of wrapping up and tackling his guy. He might make the highlight reel occasionally with those big hits, but one of these days I'm gonna have a heart attack from screaming at him to wrap up.

13. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Colon moved to LG and we drafted DeCastro. Where have you been?

Glad to have Max back!

14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers love what Max Starks does in the community,
    I also should say they may not be to ready to the leave the blind side
    open to a a rookie or second year player.Unless Adams jumps out and makes
    a very good impression It looks like LT spot is WIDE OPEN.

15. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Where have you been? You're quoting a post that's a year old! Lol

16. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i know i'll be flamed but here goes.

skip those two games you listed and lets go to max's next 4 games.

total rush yards 361
    90.25 avg rypg
    13 sacks
    i'm not sure what you are avg in your last column.
    we had 73 yards in losses with those 13 sacks also.

just sayin. it ain't all roses,and i'll leave it at that. :cool:

17. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    There should be a law against bumping up old threads like this. :facepalm:

18. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    :roflmao:

Some site admin come down hard on necroposting :butcher:

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we need to speak to someone in charge!! :) :cool:

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good luck with that...invisible, faceless so and so's. Can never get a hold of 'em. :lolol:

21. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    Or you could do neither of those and simply compare Starks' play to those that played before him and after him. Using running stats and sacks allowed to measure a lineman is the kind of thing that has ProFootballFocus saying Maurkice Pouncey is average if we're lucky and does not contribute to our team.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  23. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011
    First of all, it's bleacher report.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

true. they probably gave max a little higher grade. :) :cool:

25. HugeSnack

Oct 17, 2011

true. they probably gave max a little higher grade. :) :cool:[/quote:3sifsxao]
    There are so many things wrong with it I don't even want to get into it. You can look at the rest of the list yourself to see, or you can just look at Max. For god's sake, they give him more points as a run blocker than pass protector. I didn't think anybody thought that. They also gave him a perfect 10 on a scale of 1-10 for health, despite tearing his ACL in the playoffs and missing 4 games for being too fat.

That list appears to be based on physical attributes and potential for the future more than 2011 performances. I can see why you like it though. They take the mac daddyo approach of basing his entire pass blocking performance off of one game of their choosing. There were only two games where he was overpowered by defenders (SF and Den), and they used one of them to justify giving him a 4 out of 10 on pass block power. I guess you could grade the whole season and see what you get... or just watch the national games and write an article like this guy. In any case, it's too bad that our 3rd tackle will only be the 29th best in the league, right?