1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good the bad and the ugly.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good

Browns ass whupping!
    Another TD for Claypool
    Good game by JW
    Conner over a 100 yards against a Browns defense that has been tough to run on.

Bad

JuJu MIA, this is getting concerning but could be game script, most targeted was JW with 7. Not a lot of volume went around.

Bush injury, initial reports not good but have to wait for the MRI. Hoping for good news.

Ugly

Browns fans

• Like Like x 2
  2. Smitch89

Smitch89 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    The good-everything
    The bad-the browns
    The ugly- the browns fight song leading up to the game lmao

3. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I kind of like that Juju is quiet, we all know what he can do, also we NEED a a quiet receiver who can block and attract DBs to him so other guys can get open

good - a win, splash plays on D,
    Myles Garret confronts truth, G-d, and karma and loses badly, Mason completing a pass in mop up duties after a rout

the bad- Bush injury

ugly- Baker Mayfield, Kareem Hunt, Jarvis Landry, OBJ, haha

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Only attempted 24 passes so I’m not overly concerned about juju. Definitely worried about bush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Yeah, going up big early negated the need to pass often. And we were grinding them really well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, that’s what I was thinking, he isn’t seeing a lot of targets overall.

Agree about Bush.

7. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Good: finally a non clenching butt win.

bad: bush injury

Hilarious:

0BBEC8F6-8B58-4661-9882-7E7E3F2B9750.png

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  8. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Good:
    Spillane, Connor, JW, Ben,s confidence

Bad:
    Still thinking

Ugly:
    Bush's injury

• Like Like x 1
  9. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Good: 5 and freaking 0

Bad: Bush (F injuries!!)

Ugly: I didn't get to see it:(

• Like Like x 1
  10. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    The Good

Pretty much everything

The Bad

Bush Injury

The Ugly

Baker Mayfield's black and blue body after this game. Dude has to be bruised from head to toe.:lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Good - 38-7 against what we all believed was an up and coming Browns team.

The Bad. Bush Injury obviously. Attempted shoulder tackles. Please wrap up the player with the ball. I thought that was the pure definition of tackling.

The Ugly. All the Browns players on that LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG bus ride back to Stainsville.

• Like Like x 2
  12. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Good - Steelers coaching; Team won without a great game by Ben; No turnovers by the offense; James Conner and the Steelers running game; D-line; Run defense; Bud Dupree; Minkah - Pick 6. QB pressure. 3rd down stops. Edmunds is improving.

The Bad - Ebron OPI. Slow start for the offense.

The Ugly - Devin Bush injury. The Browns.

13. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    upload_2020-10-18_21-0-50.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    The good:
    1. We won and made a statement at the same time
    2. The league's best run defense totally destroyed the best running game and best scoring offense
    3. Minkah says screw you to all the haters
    4. Anyone else notice how much of a beast alex highsmith was on special teams
    5. James connor showing the browns how to properly run the ball
    6. Bud continuing to make a statement

The bad:.
    1. All the missed holding penalties.... Tuitt and tj may need a cigarette after this game

The ugly:
    1. Feel absolutely terrible for devin bush..... Here's hoping for a speedy recovery

• Like Like x 3
  15. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I was commenting on Highsmith on special teams. He almost blocked a punt. He did get flagged for lining up too deep on a Steelers punt, but no harm came from it.

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The great: Multiple ways and weapons this offense employs. Multiple threats to pressure the QB. DBs who can catch.

The bad: Ben’s worst game, didn’t throw multiple touchdowns, less than 64% completion percentage. No sacks for TJ Watt. Green font because stats don’t matter, only wins.

17. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Couple of mentions of Ben not playing well. I thought he was fine. He had a good running game and he really didn't need to do much. Vintage Ben might have taken some chances and thrown a pick or fumbled on a scramble. The defense got them seven bonus points and gave Ben a short field for some drives, and the offense was physically efficient and methodical. I'll take 11 more identical performances if they produce wins. No turnovers and I think Ben was only sacked once. It was a game manager type of performance. #7 wasn't asked to nor did he need to be great, just efficient and mistake free.

18. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Ben was a game manager, didn’t have to do anything. 34 minute TOP

• Like Like x 2
  19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Ben got under center. :thumbs up:

20. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Now to follow that up with a play action

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Good: 5-0!!! Ben not having to wear his arm out, Conner running hard, O Line killin it, Smothering Defense. Spillaine played strong in lieu of D Bush. Hope he continues with upside. Minkah quieting the critics. J Washington.

Bad: Juju disappearing. With Claypool coming on this might be his last season with us. Like to see McDonald more involved.

Ugly: The Devin Bush injury...

22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Good. Win
    Bad. Bush, hilton.
    Ugly. On the road for 3.:cool:

23. Stone

Stone Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2015
    Good:
    Kept their foot on the Browns throat.

Bad:
    Haden beat badly for the TD.

Ugly:
    Bush

24. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Good punishment

Bad luck for the factory of sadness

Ugly injuries

25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Alright guys! Here I go!!

The Good:

Chukwuma Okorafor:

I have always liked Chuks. Even coming out of college, watching some tape of him, I knew he had tremendous potential due to his immense athletic talent and potential. Granted, he was still new to the position and would need time. Granted, he still is not where he needs to be as there are still some kinks to straighten out.

That said, I believe that this Sundays performance was a big one for him moving forward. Myles Garrett is not going to be silenced by anyone in the game. As I said, he is simply too athletic and powerful to be nullified completely as his combination of size, speed and power are truly superb. Even so, outside of a Sack, Chuks performed very well and held his own. More importantly, he got better in his run blocking sets; against a very formidable foe no less. He will have another challenge in Jadeveon Clowney but I believe Chuks is up to the task. For that matter, never mind Chuks being a good starting Offensive Tackle. Should the team move on from Big Al, I expect Chuks to be a high caliber Left Tackle. All I ask is that COVID 19 is eradicated by then!!

Kevin Dotson:

Seven total Offensive Lineman were taken in Round one of the 2020 NFL Draft. Their names are as follows;

Andrew Thomas

Jedrick Willis Jr.

Mekhi Becton

Tristan Wirfs

Austin Jackson

Ceaser Ruiz

Isaiah Wilson

All of these names should be familiar to those that watched the 2020 NFL Draft. Now, here is another interesting fact. How many of these players have not given up a sack?! Two of them. Austin Jackson and Ceaser Ruiz are the only two Offensive Lineman to not give up a sack. Now consider this; is Kevin Dotson a starter like the either Jackson or Ruiz?! Nope!! The other seven are.

I did not have my doubts about Dotson when it came to Run Blocking. Pass blocking was something I was interested in. However, since week one, Kevin Dotson has been playing lights out when called upon. Even with David DeCastro out, this team has seen little to no drop off in either Pass Protection or Run Blocking. For that matter, the fact that Randy Fichtner now is using Dotson on pulls showcases how much trust the team has in him; an important vote of confidence for any Rookie that is not a First Round pick. Dotson has showcased that not only he is capable of playing now but also will be in the future once the team elects to depart ways with Matt Feller. Yes, Dotson will be 25 by the time his Sophomore Season begins but I believe he has a long career ahead of him regardless.

Chase Claypool:

Biggest steal of the 2020 Draft?! He has some challengers like Antonie Winfield Jr., Julian Blackmon and Micheal Onwemu. That said, few Rookies have had as much impact for their team like Claypool has. Only players that have are Chase Young, Henry Ruggs III, Jerry Jeudy, CeeDee Lamb, Brandon Aiyuk, Justin Herbert, Joe Burrow and Patrick Queen. With the exception of Aiyuk and Queen, the other six were consensus Top 20 selections. Chase Claypool has not only been outperforming his draft stock but also punching well above his weight class.

I was very happy with the Claypool pick at pick 49. Not just because he is the classic "Size, Speed and Power" freak but also he is simply a pure Football Player. Very seldom have Rookie Wide Receivers come into the league to willingly play Special Teams. Claypool is quite an exception. He is not only good at Special Teams like he was at Notre Dame, he is very good; often being among the first to tackle would be big returns for little gain. Never mind about his Special Teams ability though. His Receiving abilities are on another level.

Long story short, he will end up challenging D.K. Metcalf for being the most complete Receiver by seasons end assuming Claypool can continue his ascension. Claypool's mere presence alone now forces opposing Defensive Coordinators to game plan against him; another Receiving target being the beneficiary of it. Be it Ju Ju, James or even Efron, people are getting open thanks to Chase's impact. He is not just merely a decoy though as Claypool gives this passing attack a dimension it has not seen since Martavis Bryant; a "Thermonuclear Option". Even if it is something as simple as a slant or a post; Chase has shown repeatedly that one on one coverage against him is a big no no. What is more impressive though is Claypool's evolution as becoming more and more of a complete Receiver. It initially was just mere go and slant routes. The past two weeks have showcased that Randy Fichnter has opened up the play book more for him in terms of route running; a great apsect overall. The more well rounded Chase becomes, the better he will be. The better he will be, the more explosive this Offense is.

Offensive Rookie of the Year anyone?!

Minkah Fitzpatrick:

Now, before I begin with what Minkah did do, here are some names and a number to each name; all noteworthy the same.

Ronnie Lott: 4

Brian Dawkins: 1

Ed Reed: 3

Troy Polamalu: 1

Deion "Prime Time" Sanders: 3

Rod Woodson: 1

Charles Woodson: 2

I don't really believe I need to explain the names of these great men. Their resume speak for themselves; their busts in Canton doubly so. While these men are obvious, what are those numbers?! Those are Defensive Touchdowns within their first three seasons. The most at the time was Ronnie Lott with four. However, as of Sunday, October 18th, his long standing record is now being threatened. Minkah Fitzpatrick is now at four total within his First Three Seasons; Three INTs for Touchdowns and one Fumble Recovery. Keep in mind that this is still Week 5 with 11 more games to play. Plenty of action that can happen now and then. For that matter, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Minkah can break that record. However, none of that is a factor as we speak.

What is important here is that what Minkah provides this defense that no other Defensive Back on this team has; range and instincts. There is no "Minkah Failsafe" plan on this team. There is no scheme that can hide what Minkah does. It is impossible. Minkahs production is not due to his drop in performance. The lack of production stems from the level of respect his opposition is giving him. Even some of those aforementioned safeties like Troy or Ed would go some games before making any impact. It happens. The key for Minkah's production has never been about how often he can sustain his success.

The question always has been what can Minkah do with those opportunities when they come up?! The answer thus far is he has cashed in on those opportunities.

Bud Dupree:

Pay. The. Man. Simple as that. If we lose some good players, so be it. Few 3-4 Rush OLBs possess more athletic ability than Bud. Never mind his athletic ability though. He has shown in both 2019 and this season he is getting after the QB. There really are no other ways I can describe it either. Just pay him. He is worth every coin.

Stephon Tuitt:

After missing out on all of last season, Tuitt has returned in 2020 with a vengeance; his best season yet. Tuitt has now become that force on the Interior many of us were waiting him to be. Granted, the talent and potential have always been there. The question though has always been can he stay healthy?! So far so good. Him, Cameron Heyward and Stephon Tuitt are the best trio of Interior Defensive Lineman in the NFL right now; their rival Baltimore right behind them.

I did question whether or not if he could stay healthy given his contract. However, five weeks i to the season, I am happy to say I am happy that I was wrong.

Alex Highsmith:

His snap count is still in flux in terms of total count.. That said, he is quickly becoming a force on Special Teams. Special Teams often can lead into bigger things when it comes to development. I was a big fan of Highsmith's tape coming out of Charlotte. My biggest question was how quickly he could contribute to Special Teams. That answer could not have come at a better time. Given how the Team is now using T.J. Watt as an Inside Linebacker in some Defensive looks, look for Highsmith snap count to go up; even if only by a little bit.

The Bad:

Ju Ju Smith Schuster:

As I said in another thread, not worried or concerned as of now about him. He is still the most technically gifted route runner the Steelers have. Never mind that, he is the team's best Possession Receiver; a Receiver that is both underappreciated but invaluable. All that said, he has not seen much action. For that matter, he has not been targeted as much either. To make matters worse, James Washington had more looks on Sunday than Ju Ju did.

Again, not worried or concerned. That said, something to keep an eye on moving forward.

The Ugly:

Devin Bush's Injury:

This is truly the worst news of the 2020 Steelers Defense. With Bush, Pittsburgh had unrivaled range among all three levels of the Defense. Without him, that range has been greatly diminished. There is the linebacker by committee the team now has in place in comparison to 2017 though. Shazier was lost for good that year and Pittsburgh had no failsafe. This time around though, the team does.... somewhat at least. Even with the likes of Marcus Allen, Robert Spillane and UG3, Bush's overall impact in both Pre Snap and performance will be missed dearly. I would hope Kevin Colbert is on the phone right now attempting to find a good trading partner the same. I would say the FA market but there is not a single Inside Linebacker I would select from that crop either.

In any case, get better Devin Bush Jr. You will be sorely missed. May your recovery go well and I wish you God speed good sir!! :herewego:

That will do it for me guys!! Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it. Let us get another win!!!

Go Steelers!!! :steelflag:

• Like Like x 1