1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Safety To Pair Up With Davis?

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Nov 23, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Considering that, Mike Mitchell is slowly showcasing he is on the wrong side of 30, which type safety in this draft do you lean towards?

An Uber Athlete like Sean Davis?

A well rounded safety who can get the job done?

A big hitting run stopper?

Or

A ball hawking free lancer?

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    all of the above AQL. this spot should be high on our draft list. maybe a double dip. i do think wilcox could work out for us. i'd like to see him get more time with davis. :cool:

3. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think the best option is a true back-end pass defender first and foremost. I haven’t charted Davis’ plays, but to my eyes he is much better playing near the LOS (though his tackling still needs a lot of work). He’s made some excellent plays in downhill pass defense vs. backs and blowing up WR screens. However, I can’t recall many good plays downfield. Though he has the physical ability to cover a lot of ground in deeper coverage, his instincts are those of an in-the-box safety. His best complement would be a deep zone coverage guy with instincts and good football IQ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd sure like to see what allen can do back there. why keep him and waste him on the bench? make the move next year and teach him the safety spot in preseason. davis and allen both have some safety and corner experience. :cool:

5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Back end, single high safety type and its not even debatable imo. You know a guy who can actually break on the ball and give you a PBU or high point an INT.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    This is exactly what we need, a young Earl Thomas type player.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Safety prospects

Minkah- overrated but long gone before we get him

Derwin - looks like a beast. Long gone before we get him

Harrison - would be only ok with him at #28. Doubt he would be BPA.

Reid - I like the player. Would love him at #60 but likely goes before. I think #28 is too high though. Trade up in 2nd round? Will he cause a stir like his brother in SF?

Bates - this is starting to become my favorite of the possible options. Once again will he be there at #60? May have to move up.

Elliott - actually tested better than expected. 3 INTs vs Sam Darnold. Will he be there at #60?

Terrell Edmunds - big and athletic. I initially had him as a 3rd round prospect. Legitimate if he were there at #60. Doubt he will be. Trade up in RouND 2 or does he have round 1 talent? Need to watch more tape.

Kyzir White - big SS/LB hybrids. Worth looking into at #60.

I have Marcus Allen and Armani Watts as potential 3rd rounders.

8. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree I kinda feel Davis could be this guy while still being an in the box guys as well. I like that as it gives us flexibility, do you agree?

I like Reid a ton, some other names at S are James, Watts, Edmonds, Elliott, Webb, Blanding, Flowers and Reaves(my darkhorse) and according to which article you read a lot of these guys are slotted at both FS and SS. I really am taking a liking to Reid and he may need to be taken in the first for us to have a shot at him.

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    In some of those trade up scenarios would it make more sense to trade out of the first round instead to a mid second round pick and pick up a 3rd or 4th in the process?

10. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    If they are really set on getting a Safety like Reid or Bates, then yes a trade out of the 1st round would make sense. Pick up another pick or two.

I just see that as unlikely.

11. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Bates in the second would work,he's a CF type safety I feel we need in this defense which we play single high....I was gonna ask the same question about Reid ...would he feel obligated to his brother if his brother wants to keep up his stance against the anthem. We clearly don't need that distraction....

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I've seen Edmund's as low as the 4th but that was prior to him running a 4.47 at the combine. He's got some good tape. He's definitely got the size. I'd love he and his brother at 1-2 or 1-3. If some of these other LBers are more favoured you never know. I do think Davis paired with a good SS could fit the bill. Don't count out the kids from Temple, northwestern, Wisconsin or Hawaii yet either. Pretty decent ball skills amongst them.:cool:

13. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Harrison will be a pro bowler. Book it. He is harrison smith with better speed. Or at least better football speed

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He has been described as more of a box safety, than a guy who can play single high.

15. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He can do both. At least in my opinion he can. He done both in college at a high level. He is just a football player

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Harrison, white, Edmund's fit that bill of the hybrid players even if they don't have the better ball skills of a traditional FS they bring some things that type doesn't. In our system they could be teamed with guys that are in the traditional sense and you get the small faster LB type with SS type of tackling with better than LB ball skills. Win, win, win. :cool:

17. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Admittedly I don't watch every Bama game but I've seen my fair share. I have seen Harrison on quite a few occasions make plays down the field. How consistent he can be,Idk. The biggest weakness of this D and the scheme we run is the single high safety....so unless your gonna tell me we are going away from this then it's in our best interest to draft or sign someone who can do it. I don't have faith in Davis making the transition, I just don't see his recognition and ball skills when he's been tasked to play his part of a zone.
    While it would be great to have this hybrid wonder player ,if we continue with the single high look we better shore up that weakness first....