1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good read on direction of Offense

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by CK 13, Apr 18, 2021.

1. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Would have read it, but when 78 pop ups come at me, I just × out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thanks for the read, CK.

I won’t be upset if they take Harris or Etienne in the first, I just don’t think that’s the best use of their first rd pick. I would try to grab Williams in the second, I think he’s as good as either of them and if they miss out on him, then Sermon or Stevenson, I like Stevenson better.

I’m tired of seeing us fail to get a yard for a first down, part of why I want a big boy like Harris or Stevenson.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Idk if Rooney was truly serious about committing to run game, bringing back Ben who would throw every down if you let him doesn't make sense.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Having a rookie or MR being the starter would allow teams to stack the box and force the young inexperienced QB to beat them through the air. We saw the mixed results on that two years ago. So if you are serious about jumping starting your rushing attack having a QB who can make them pay for going man with single high safety it forces them to play a bit more honest. Not saying it's a given the Ben will be better just not as easy to plan a defensive scheme against.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    THIS should have been the plan LAST year. Ben, coming off a career ending injury. Tomlin sucks - unable to see this entering last year. and almost always unable to see what needs to be done to win a championship. Now - we are planning for 2022 and beyond. RUNNING was the key last year. (BTW - i love that is a focus, just one year late.....) RB and OLINE - THAT has to be the focus for the first 3 picks. C / G / T / RB - all of the above. (and ADD TE as well....) Relying on an old aging QB to dink and dunk was a joke. Fichtner was a joke, Tomlin is clueless, honestly. Take the reigns away from Ben.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They were, and will, do the same thing against Ben. At least a rookie or Mason has some upside potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Ben vs Canada, who wins? I'll say Ben until its proven otherwise. Running from shotgun will be a rerun of predictable regurgitated same ol same ol, IMO. I just don't know if there is going to be the change that has to happen. We'll see soon enough.

9. Mike T

Mike T Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2018
    Personally i think they are living on hopes and dreams and nostalgia. I hope i'm wrong but i think everyone is hoping that Ben can regain some of the former glory days. It is possible but He's another year older and i still dont know of any Pro athlete that has beaten father time and come back better. There are ones that have defied time by playing longer but none of them have come back and played better than the year before (especially after major surgery).

10. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Ben vs. Canada we talking football or hockey?

• Like Like x 1
  11. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Ben will do as likes, and the OC better learn to live with it. Unless they’re willing to bench Ben, and they won’t, he will call the shots. Every RPO will be a pass. Had to do it, says Ben, the D alignment required it. Canada can raise a stink, but who’s Tomlin gonna side with? Rooney wants them to run more, he wanted this last year too, and the year before that. He can want it again next yr.

12. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I think they need something in the middle. No way is Ben rolling back the clock to 2004 and playing like a rookie with nothing to lose. Nor will we get the stiff and awkward Ben of the final 5 weeks of the season. I think he lost a bit more weight than he had planned and that gave him a bit too much play in those joints so coming off the injury, surgery, and rehab anything little twinge was a moment of panic. Heck at 46 anytime I'm walking up the stairs and get too much weight centered over my left knee it kinda moves backward and I think I'm going down and I have zero athletic ability besides being able to stay upright in skates. I'm sure for a person who makes a living at playing football the terror of getting old has to be on his mind. So pack on 5 pounds Ben, get numbed up and take a snap or 50 under center.

• Like Like x 2
  13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i agree. Ben is 75% of what he was in his prime, and if we didn't already know this, we have not sniffed a SB in 11 years. We have underachieved. We have not even ranked top 5 in offense with all of that talent a few years ago. we are kicking the rebuilding can down the road, that is all we are doing.

14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Gotta say, this would look pretty sweet

15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers had some success running the ball early in the 2020 season. I think several issues happened to throw a wrench in the run game.

The worst part about the Steelers run game was the inability to gain a yard in short yardage situations. I believe it bothered everyone in the organization from the owner on down to the coaches.

As a result, I believe the Steelers will take the best OL or RB 1st overall in the draft. They need a OL that can get a push in the middle.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Damien Woody response to this was their OL

17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Whats his point? Does he think they can’t address both.

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He was probably just being a smart ass, I don't know.

19. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    No te hurts the run game. Tomlin's hybridization of the te position...:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Tomlin.

21. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Reiterating here, Tomlin doesn't know anything about offense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    The Steelers ran the ball with some success early in the 2020 season. I think a number of things happened to diminish the effectiveness of the run game as the season progressed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Exactly JEH defenses did the same thing last year to us when they realized Ben couldn’t complete a pass more than 5 yards downfield. Expect that to happen out of the gate this season.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  24. Jujubean

Jujubean Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Yea three things happened:

The OL is awful and as of today still is

Ben wants to be in shotgun and throw every play

Conner was nicked up as usual and we didn’t have a legit #1 RB which we still don’t as of today

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we lost banner at RT. we took our good RT and moved him to LG where he just shouldn't have been. we took a LT and put him at RT. our LT was not the best from the start in run blocking and put a good RT next to him. we lsot our backup center and guard to free agency and brought in another backup center/ guard which lasted one game. we then went to an undersized backup practice squad center to man the LG and center position. we put in a TE that isn't a run blocker. is there any wonder why we didn't play well and run the ball and throw it more then 5 yards? our good line was aging before our eyes as far back as when mason and duck were manning the qb position. we blamed the qb position. we blamed the RB position. :cool:

• Like Like x 2