1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Good game guys

Discussion in 'Football Talk With Other Fans' started by Cicero, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Cicero

Cicero New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    It is nice to finally come out on the right side of the score board in one of these games. Sorry for what happened to Bell.

A few questions/thoughts:

Do you guys think Ben came back to soon? He seemed to have trouble pushing off on that knee.

Is your defense that good or did we play that poorly on offense today? To me it looked like your defense is gelling again. Great pressure can really help an undermanned secondary.

Your season isn't over yet. I remember leaving you guys for dead in 2005. I will not relax until mathematical elimination. Your team is like that old slasher flick villain that seems dead yet gets up over and over again.

Rivalry and fan stuff aside what did you think if the 2015 Bengals? I am cautiously optimistic but you need a lot of luck on your side to have a special season. I think they are capable of it but one bad injury can undo everything.

2. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    With Ben it's really tough to say whether he came back too early or not because he usually doesn't take much time to heal during injuries. He is sometimes a little TOO tough. I think he was certainly physically able today but once pressure started being generated I feel like it shook him more that it has in the past. We are playing with a 2nd and 3rd stringer on the line and some of our starters aren't exactly world beaters. As far as our defense, it's really tough to say. We are ultimately built to not give up the big play and that's why we will pretty much always lose against teams like KC or NE because they just kill us with a thousand paper cuts. Your guys offense looks a little like it has an identity crisis too. I'm REALLY surprised they didn't eat us up with Eifert today because we are HORRIBLE against TE's. I didn't think you guys had a good gameplan at all today really. Also there were some VERY questionable calls. Green was mugged in the end zone and they missed it but we probably got a little more of the short end on some calls. As far as whether you guys can go all the way I really do doubt it. I think NE is gonna do it again. I think your d is ranked like 17th or something and you've had a favorable schedule. Dalton just doesn't seem to have the mojo for winter football but I could be wrong. History suggests otherwise but we will see. Congrats today and if you ever talk to any of the players PLEASE tell them to quit hurting Bell. That is just flat out not nice. LOL!

3. Cicero

Cicero New Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Yeah I hate to see injuries regardless of what team they play for. Bell is an Ohio guy and was a big Corey Dillon fan so there is a sad irony to it as well.

I also expected a big game from Eifert today. I think the pressure from your front seven rattled Dalton and the offensive line. The bad snaps and mistakes were a result of that as well I think.

I agree that the refs were awful both ways. We did benefit from it at times.

Our D looked better yesterday for sure, but I wonder if a healthy Roethlisburger picks us apart in that game. There were open receivers all over the field on several plays that he over threw or held the ball too long. Getting Burfict back will go along way toward shoring up our defense. He is a bit like Polamalu in that his defense plays better as a unit with him on the field. I am not sure if it is chemistry thing but if you look at the statistics when he is on the field there is definitely a correlation.

I do think the talent is there for a run but as you point out Dalton will be the big question mark in December and January. If he figures it out I think we will finally win a playoff game or two and maybe more. I think games like yesterday will help with that. The Bengals of seasons past would have wilted in that kind of game.

This was a fun but frustrating game to watch. Hopefully we only see you guys one more time this season. 2005 is still too painful a memory.

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks and congrats on your win, Cicero. We'll get ya next time! ;)

5. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Ben may still not be 100%, but he was just fine on the opening drive.

But once he took that shot to his leg, he seemed to unravel. His throws started going high and he started pressing. IDK if that's because he was hurting, or if it got in his head.

Ben also has a history of not faring well in his first game back after an injury. That's just a fact. I'll let others debate if that's because he comes back too soon or some other reason.

But we wouldn't have done any better with our backups, so it's a moot point.

How did Eifert not have 15 catches for 185 yards?? Did the Bengals ignore all of the film from the Steelers' past 2-3 years? We SUCK at covering TEs. I'm amazed at how the defense held you guys in check, and I really don't know how they did it. Sure, they played well, but Cinci had to be off as well.

It's still early. Be happy with your start, but they still have a long way to go. I've seen teams start out hot and slide in the second half of the season... sometimes right out of the playoffs. On the flip side, we've witnessed our own team salvage what looked to be a bad season and win it all by getting hot at the right time...

I wish I could believe they'll do that this year. But this team has all the hallmarks of a team that's snake bit. At this point, I'd be happy to get out of a game without losing yet another starter. I don't hear no fat lady yet, but the season has been rough so far.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  6. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I'm convinced the Rooneys built their beach house over an Indian burial ground. It's the only logical explanation.

7. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well Art WAS called The Chief......(queue Twilight Zone music)