1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

golson

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    is it time to open this spot for a healthy body while we have 2 games left after sunday? possibly get another safety in here to look at. how long do we let a guy we know nothing about as a player to sit and take up a spot and collect money? i know most want to finally see him since he was a 2nd rd. pick but it's camp 3 for him and not one full padded practice even completed. do we keep that spot open still? :cool:

2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Who is this Golson person everyone speaks of? This is reminding me of Jimmt Stewart and Harvey.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I can see no logical reason other than saving the embarrassment of cutting a #2. If he is ever healthy, he will never get any first team snaps until next year. He has no value this year.

4. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    Short of a dire need or unless someone really, really intriguing becomes available, I wouldn't, not at this point. They've waited this long to see what he can bring, might as well wait a bit longer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    While I think the Steelers would be within every right to cut him...

I just want to see him perform in 1 game. Is he what they thought he would be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    it's more like a PO box we keep sending a check too. :cool:

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    at least we could have another healthy body to evaluate as opposed to him. i'm not sure it has to be an intriguing body. :cool:

8. dd63

dd63 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2017
    My guidance counselor never mentioned that as a career option. <grumble grumble :@>

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I never liked the tape that much to begin with, he could have possibly got better than what we currently have , but he can't stay healthy enough to develop...

Might as well take a look at another DB option ...

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Its the sean spence syndrome.

11. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    The new cut down rules have an effect on this situation. I believe if they would take a look at someone cut at the 90 to 75 point if that still existed. As it is now, there is no compelling reason to do anything with Golson until they are forced to. He still has a chance to contribute. Placing him on I/R and bringing him back is an option. Costs them nothing extra. If they don't need him at the point he ready to be added to the roster, they can jettison him then. Corner is one position I believe they are going to look to upgrade, either through trade or signing someone cut from another team. If Brian Allen was a little more polished, I think he would give Cockrell a run for his money. Allen has the size and skill set to be the physical man coverage CB they want to employ.

12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I'd wait. I believe a healthy Golson will have a better chance of succeeding than searching for a diamond in the rough.

Healthy being the keyword there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Daddymac10

Daddymac10 Well-Known Member

May 1, 2015
    Was not happy the day we drafted him. Isn't Dri Archer taller than this guy?? Guy is way too small. Anyone he lined up against would be a size mismatch. This has to be the most fragile player in sports history. Year 3 we don't even know if he's NFL quality because he's never ever healthy enough to reach the field. And even if he did get healthy, as small as he is, there's an excellent chance he'll be shelved again after "1" good on-field hit....

14. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    mike hilton is the same size and he hits people and makes plays. not really worried about size but it's been way too many injuries. we could at least have a guy on the field to look at if we cut him loose. we have since moved on with better players since we needed his services 3 years ago. :cool:

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You would have better odds believing in the tooth fairy. At least she has a history of showing up.

16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    If he doesn't make it back by the end of the preseason, I expect an injury settlement and he be out of football. What other team would bring him on given how few practices he has participated in?

17. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Why the Cardinals of course. LOL!

• Like Like x 2
  18. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  19. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    an on the cheap former high round pick? sounds like someone would grab him.

See: Mitchell,DHB,Alualu.

Keep him until the choice must be made. If it was me, sensabaugh(sp) would be cut before golson but I lean towards pedigree.

20. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    LOL!!! Then after his NFL career Golson will go on to write a best selling coffee table book about longevity in the NFL.

21. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    I agree with keeping Golson until the Steelers are forced to make a decision, but cutting Sensabaugh? He's the backup at both outside corner positions, at least until Sutton comes back.

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Is Golson PS eligible?

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    what is this PS you speak of?

Paid Sick leave.
    Poor Selection
    Punish Steelers fans
    Probably Sorry we picked him
    Pay Sucker
    Pick Sutton
    Pickup Sensibaugh
    Pay Someone else

:smiley1::cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    First, he has to be eligiable to practice?

25. Fugitive60

Apr 21, 2016
    There are two categories of players who can be signed to the practice squad: Practice Squad Eligible, and Exempt. Four of the 10 players on a team’s practice squad can be from the Exempt category. And as always, all players must clear league waivers before they can be signed to the practice squad.

EXEMPT: Martavis Bryant, Eli Rogers, Artie Burns, Fitz Toussaint, Jordan Dangerfield, Tyler Matakevich, Bud Dupree, L.J. Fort, Anthony Chickillo, B.J. Finney, Al Villanueva, Jesse James, Cobi Hamilton, Xavier Grimble, L.T. Walton, and Sammie Coates.

PRACTICE SQUAD ELIGIBLE: Joshua Dobbs, Bart Houston, Canaan Severin, Demarcus Ayers, Marcus Tucker, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Cameron Sutton, Senquez Golson, Brian Allen, Malik Golden, James Conner, JaCorey Shepherd, Trey Williams, Brandon Dixon, Brandon Brown-Dukes, Greg Ducre, Terrell Watson, Mike Hilton, Farrington Huguenin, Jacob Hagen, Kameron Canaday, Matt Galambos, Colin Holba, Keith Kelsey, Kyle Friend, Francis Kallon, Lucas Crowley, Ethan Cooper, Christian Brown, Jerald Hawkins, Lavon Hooks, Jake Rodgers, Brian Mihalik, Roy Philon, Keavon Milton, Jake McGee, Phazahn Odom, T.J. Watt, Johnny Maxey, and Keion Adams.

• Informative Informative x 1