1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

golson

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Feb 17, 2017.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    According to Ed or one of those guys, Golson is very much in their plans, they are expecting him to play.

3. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    At this point I actually still have more faith in Senquez seeing the field before Green and that's not saying much...

4. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think a slot CB is drafted in the first 3 rounds. And I am making the difference between slot and outside corners. They need different athletic traits imo. There's no doubt Golson is still in the mix, but they will add to it.

Where we pick, the talent level at CB is way higher than OLB I think.

5. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    I was not a fan of the Golson pick......

That being said he is a Steeler now and I have hopes for him but realistically expect little. He hasn't played a single snap of any kind in over 2 years. He also had a serious injury to his foot- how will that effect his ability to perform is unknown.

My point is him being on our roster should have absolutely zero effect on who we draft ... If a good corner is there draft him. I'd prefer an Edge player in the 1st then let the BPA chips fall as they may.

Cajun

6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed.

Golson has the capacity to recover to possibly get back to where he was mentally and athletically.

Green.... who knows? If he can get past his concussion issues.. another weapon for us. If not... he might have to hang them up.

7. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I still have a lot of faith in Golsons potential. If he can break the string of bad luck I think he could be a important piece in our D....he has the natural instincts and his ability to track the ball is outstanding...he would be the best that we could put out on the field as far as that skill goes for sure....I think he adds the versatility of playing slot and outside on occasion....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe add a free agent CB and draft one too.

9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The more I scan the landscape, the more a CB will be needed. This is
    tough decision but I am not so sure we can count on Golson.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    They have expected him to play for now will be 3 years, if he doesnt play this year due to another injury I say let him go and call it a bad draft pick....Green wont be available for 16 games this year and may not even play again, so depending on him in their plans may just be wishful thinking that will never materialize....

11. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Golson is just a victim of bad luck. He didn't have an injury history in college if Im not mistaken.

He's missed 2 seasons, he's been playing football his whole life, not going to forget how. Spencer came back from much worse, only I think Golson can be much more effective since his injuries weren't nearly as bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    True he may not forget how but he never learned how at the pro level. I think Colbert was hinting at that as well:

“I’m a little more apprehensive. Just from sitting out two years, where you haven’t played at all, it’s not real easy to just step out there and catch up.”

http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Steelers-have-a-wait-and-see-approach-with-CB-Senquez-Golson-51343720

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Neither had Spence. You either can or you can't, just like everyone coming out of college.

He's definitely behind the 8ball but I expect him to be able to do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    True I am just passing along what the article says...Colbert saying. I think you have to put some stock in it when it comes out of his mouth. My opinion draft a guy anyways for protection

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, somehow I dont think Spence extensive practice into his first camp had too much bearing on his return. :lolol:

17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Well I don't care who you are, when you a rookie and don't play for 2 years there is a ton of catch up. I am not saying it can't be done but let's face it he wasn't a top prospect coming in here and I was totally taken back by this pick. With that said I have zero faith in him #1 being on the field and #2 being productive. So whatever we get out of him imo is a bonus. You can never have enough DB's anymore the way I see it you almost need 3 starting DB's.

18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  19. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    I like the fact that Colbert is talking like that, I want to see Golson produce for us that's the bottom line for me. Damn this kid is only 23 and he lost 2 years already. We have him under contract 2 more years I am hoping for the best but right now it is team first. Bing in another young guy and if Golson comes back that is a pretty nice problem to have.

20. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    there is no question we will be adding to what we have. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Far as Im concerned, he just needs a camp to get back into football shape.

After that, he's just like any rookie coming out of college. None of them have any NFL experience.

I look at it as I did last year, an extra draft pick. And unlike NYSteel, I loved the pick, he has a nose for the ball. If he stays healthy, I predict he will be a good player for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    You are right he does need a camp to get back into shape but I guess we disagree on the comeback level. Yeah he has the same experience as a rookie....none but a rookie is coming off a season of playing actual ball. Golson is coming off the trainers bench, don't get me wrong like I said before I hope he comes back but I am not putting my hopes on it.

As for liking the pick we don't have to agree that is what makes this fun but let's not forget if you liked him cause he had a nose for the ball......Mr. Holliman had a nose for the ball to a tune of 14 ints in a season........:shrug::hehehe:

23. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Let's remember another ballhawk from that same draft, Gerod Holliman........

Let's look at Golson as a rookie, a rookie who has played a single snap in a season or preseason for over two years and Never in the NFL, he's never even made it thru a single training camp.

Best case scenario he makes the 53...... Do we think he'll have any kind of impact? What about his sophomore year which will also be his final contract year.

I didn't like the pick, too early for him, but really am pulling for him. If he makes it he may help us but if he doesn't do it this year his career will most likely be over..... He has the motivation so let's see how he handles it.

Cajun

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    Golson is signed for this year and next. FA after the 2018 season

25. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    The only thing similar between Holliman and Golson is they pick the ball off alot. Golson is a good aggressive tackler, Holliman was allergic to tackling and thats the main reason he washed out.

We'll find out if he can do it or not but I don't think its the herculean task its being made out to be.

• Agree Agree x 1