1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Going to be the Dobbs & Houston Show Again

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Fugitive60, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    No Ben, no Landry. Apparently LJ has been throwing on the side, but without much velocity. If Jones doesn't get some reps in soon, maybe they put him on IR with designation to return. Since they can bring back two players from IR, maybe that's the path forward for Golson as well.

2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Wonder why some teams play their starting Qb's and we don't?

3. coldrolled

coldrolled Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Because some teams have starters as good as Dobbs.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Indeed.

Ben will get some playing time at some point.

We did the same strategy last preseason - starters turned up and tore it up for a drive or two, but not much more. We started out 4-1, so it didn't seem to have a huge effect on Ben's regular season performance.

5. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    I actually like this.

We know #7 is the straw that stirs the drink.

I think the coaching staff can say definitively that LJ Is the backup. Any dreams of having Dobbs as the #2 should be long gone. Just too much work left in front of him.

Because of our WR and CB situation, I really wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers are considering keeping only 2 QBs on the 53.

They may want to know if Dobbs is such a project that they can put him on the PS to develop.

As a Badger fan, I don't mind getting more time to see Bart Houston, as this is probably the last time I'll get to see him play in a game.

6. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Good grief. Ben has enough trouble making it through the season and some fans want him to play in preseason???

He's been playing for 15 years, doesn't need preseason.

He'll play in the 3rd game, theres your tune up.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    What is the status of LJ? If he's not healthy soon I could see starting the season with Dobbs as our main back up. Houston is a PS guy.

I personally think this might be by design...allowing Dobbs to show what he's got. If the coaches don't like what they see, I would not be shocked to see us sign a veteran FA QB once a few decent one's are cut.

There's always a good chance Ben gets hurt. Going into the regular season with 2 QB's would rank right up there with one of the dumber things Tomlin and our FO have done. It's not going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    I'm still in the "Play like you practice, practice like you play" camp.

I just don't like Tomlin's lackadaisical approach to pre-season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    griswald - the proof is is in the pudding. Just look at our inconsistency and sloppiness over Tomlin's run as HC, especially early in the season. This is a huge reason why we lose to inferior opponents with regularity. A loss in week 1 is the same as a loss in week 14.

If we were a well tuned machine coming off a SB win I could see taking it easy on the vets for health reasons...but we are not that. We are and have been the epitome of inconsistency....while loaded with elite talent. There is no reason why we should not have been fighting for a playoff bye week last year and many other years. Instead we are usually fighting for a playoff spot late in the season....then easily booted. I expect more of the same because we've done nothing to change. Tomlin thinks if we stay healthy and add a player or two we will be SB contenders. This thinking is the reason why some teams have a lucky season and find them selves in the SB on rare occasion and the patriots consistently win rings. The only way you can reduce mistakes and execute plays with precision is from serious practice and repetition.

10. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    The Falcons DBs should have a feast on Dobbs inaccurate throws.........

11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cannot wait for Joshua Dobbs myself.

His first game was simply a case of the jitters. Nothing more to it than that. After settling in though, he did well and redeemed himself.

He should be more comfortable now heading into his second game now that the jitters are gone. He will be better this time.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    Hope not. I've got $200 on the Steelers and am giving 2 points. Last week worked out okay taking the Steelers and getting 3 points. I won't bet more than a couple of hundred on a pre-season game, but having a little skin in the game makes it more interesting to me. Can't wait for the regular season to start so I can get a little more aggressive on the weekly betting.

13. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Except you don't know how they practice. Seeing as how Ben was complaining about it being too tough last season, I'm not sure where fans are getting this notion they don't practice hard.

Who you play in a preseason game doesn't have anything to do with how they practice during the week.

14. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Has anyone really looked at the first INT by Dobbs... Gilbert let his man by and in slo-mo looks like he swiped Dobb's arm.. and the ball veered...
    I watched the game 5 times just for fun... Dobbs looked better then Geno Smith after his second INT.. which was a bad INT... and how many games has this Geno guy played in the regular season? Was he drafted second round? or first round? Dobbs is a fourth round QB pick up.. He needs some quality coaching. He could be a quality player.. Right now he is 3 qtrs into the NFL..

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Griswald

Griswald Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2014
    Preseason games are practice. You can't really spin that any other way.

16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    No, its what they practice on all week. Are regular season games practice? You practice during the week and then you apply that to game day.

Preseason games is more an evaluation tool than anything else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

I find it hilarious that you wager money on preseason games. My little tiny town has an annual frog jumping contest. The frog that jumps the furthest distance with 3 consecutive jumps wins. Care to throw down a couple hundred?;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Right. And in practice, you try out certain things, see how particular guys do, test match ups, try some things etc etc.

Which is exactly what Tomlin does in preseason games.

The idea that preseason records affect regular season games has been disproved countless times.

19. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    This is good news for Dobbs. He and the coaching staff get a longer look at game action. I like it better than LJ coming in for a quarter and then turning it over to Dobbs. Start the game, see how he performs and give him the whole first half.

20. fanforlife

fanforlife

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm trying to make money for the animals not to amuse you. So I don't care what you find hilarious.

21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Frogs are animals, they need money too. Particularly fond of greenbacks.

• Like Like x 1
  22. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm actually fine with this approach. We need Landry to have fresh arms because that clipboard isn't going to hold itself.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I hope Dobbs plays well and has a big game.

24. coldrolled

Dec 1, 2014
    Will Ben get a series or two this week?

25. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    No, already announced that he won't play. Hence the thread title.