1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Going All in or Not to win the SB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mcam, Jan 23, 2019.

1. All in

2. Not all in

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    So fun concept.. Just read an article that basically states don't expect the Steelers to make any huge splashes in free agency. Saying it's "too late". Basically we are to expect the same old type of splashes in free agency. No huge profile guys. You're "good" veterans found in mid-to-latter part of Free Agency.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...-late-for-the-steelers-to-go-all-in-for-2019/

That article leads me to another reflecting the opinion of none other than our beloved Le'veon Bell that states you should go all in pointing out that's what the Rams did.

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...nds-confusing-message-with-instagram-comment/

The idea being to go "all in" one sacrifices their future.

The Rams are in with going "all in".

As far as I can tell, New England is also in the Superbowl without doing so.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Interesting side note: Probably don't want to point out to Le'veon that big $$ Gurley was seated on the bench in favor of CJ Anderson in the championship game. Ouch lol

2. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    Should have went all in years ago

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Next year is gonna suck. This is gonna be one of those '99/'03 seasons.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Doesn't matter what I would do. The Steelers are not going to go all in. They will make a couple of headscratching mid tier signings in FA, re-sign all of their free agents, and focus on the draft. The only real splash to be made is if AB gets traded, and even then it will most likely be for draft picks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Funny, I just googled it and couldn't find any Steeler stats for 1899 and 1903. :shrug: But to your point, I don't think you have to go back 20 years. 2019 may very well look just like 2018 - some highs, some lows and a lot of in-betweens. :hmm:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Re tool and be done by week 15 lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    It should be pointed out that the Steelers have as long as I can remember never have gone "all in" and they did win 2 superbowls relatively with this philosophy.

Players like Farrier were when signed not really a "high-profile" player but he had a good reputation. Like most free agent signings, most were to reasonable veteran deals.

Bettis was probably the largest free agent signing at the time. If there are others help me out.

But we're not seeing the Steelers trade for example draft picks for Eli Apple (<<Saints) etc to get stacked for the present year forfeiting future picks to do so. Trading for Brandon Cooks, etc..

8. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    1899? Maybe I missed the joke.

1999 (6-10)
    2003 (6-10)

I still hold out that if our kicking game was better alone, we'd have easily won at least two more games this year.

I'm not all doom and gloom with the Steelers. Think they will pull it through. SB who knows though..

Players like
    Trey Flowers
    Dee Ford << Expected to get Tagged
    Jadaveon Clowney << probably gets Franchise Tagged
    Earl Thomas
    Tyrann Mathieu

etc might be availalble. https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2816047-ranking-the-top-nfl-free-agents-in-the-2019-class#slide3

9. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    We traded for Bettis

10. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Joe Haden was a good pick up.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Yep missed him. Need someone on the other side of him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    That's right forgot it was a trade. Gave up a 2nd that year with a 4th the following year. Got Jerome Bettis and the 3rd round selection.

Blockbuster trade there.

13. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Best trade eva

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Bell says the team should go all in, yet he wants the biggest contract for a RB, setting the market and all :facepalm:. Just paying Bell, AB, and Ben takes up about one third of your salary cap,

15. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    They’re going all out...losing Bell and AB

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I thiink Bell reset the market down big time. Conner showed you get more for your money and what the hell is Gurley sitting the pine during the NFC game? We'll see what this peon gets vs what he left on the table. .

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    He was right but his timing was off. They happily have went all out years ago in like that 2014-2016 range.

18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Gurley is hurt. That's why Anderson is receiving more playing time. And he's making the most of his opportunity. Good pick up

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry MCAM, yes I was joking, I knew you meant 1999 and 2003. Actually the 2018 season was going great, 6 game mid-season win streak...when the wheels came off the bus with a inexplicable 3 game skid. You'd think it would be a successful season where they beat the Pats (with Brady), almost beat the 2nd or 3rd best team in NO in the friggin' Superdome, beat the nemesis Jags (but who didn't?), and held their own against another top team, KC. But alas, it was all for naught. I'm thinking they might also be gun shy (more than normal) about bringing in any new unknown personalities into a very mixed up locker room environment.

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers are 2 years too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I still hold that if the Steelers could have done better on

1) special teams especially kicking (Sorry Bos)

and

2) Penalities ( << I know a lot near the end especially were BS)

The Steelers would have won at least two more games.

Throw in there inopportune timed picks (end zone), and all of that would have overcome the deficit on defense. Superbowl? probably not. But not as bad as many are portraying.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Disco1981

Mar 20, 2017
    Absolutely...Gurley isn't near 100%...Call McVay what you want but, He's not that ballsy to sit a legit MVP candidate for C.J.Anderson...

I think you will see a much greater load for Gurley with the 2 weeks off...Unless obviously he is still not close to 100%

23. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I read an article suggesting he was benched due to missing plays (missed catch, etc). Just goes to show you can't believe what you read half the time.

There was issue of the Steelers passing up CJ Anderson. The new dilemma on the block is the now infamous Kareem Hunt, which we've already discussed on here. Some people believe he's a violent individual that should be banished for life. Others believe he responded inappropriate manner to an isolated incident involving young people and alcohol.

I'm in the latter category, and would definitely be good with the Steelers talking with Kareem if the NFL puts him in good standing. There will be plenty of teams waiting in line. I think the situation just got the best of him. Not a huge need as the Steelers have Conner, but as much as I like Samuels I'm not all that sold on him as a solid #2 RB yet. In this league it's good to have two good ones if possible because of injuries at the position.

24. rocketdog

rocketdog Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I think ownership looks at things differently than fans. The Steelers org. is a company whose main business is to make money. They put out a product that people buy and support. If they sell out the stadium every game and continue to take in large income from tv money, the NFL and all the marketing why change anything. They (professional sport organizations ) rely on peoples emotions on wanting to be part of something special while living through our everyday mundane lives. Once the money they take in starts to drop then they might do something. Until then nothing significant will change. Just my 2 cents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    We won a sb 11 years ago now. A lot has changed since then. They guy we beat in the sb is now in the hall of fame .That should tell you something.