1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Khan Named GM

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Feb 4, 2022.

1. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    That Sammy Watkins trade was horrid whoever's idea that was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Or you know because he's a scout and he'll remain a scout.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Art said he wants his GM to be a personnel guy, Hunt has that experience and trained under Colbert, he gets the job IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    Every candidate that they've interviewed minus Khan maybe is a personnel guy.

6. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    But not every candidate has worked for the Steelers the last 10 years in personnel, and trained under Colbert :shrug:.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    In the end you may likely be right but I still find it almost odd how many external candidates they brought in. Remember when Tomlin wowed them, I think they started cancelling some coaching external interviews. That kinda says to me that Hunt's interview may have been meh.

And if one of the external candidates is in the driver's seat for the position, they obviously can't take that person to evaluate players yet.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Agree with them. We need a GM that scouting s n the blood and how they earned their bones. Hunt is that man.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DukeDukeDaDaDa

Sep 24, 2017
    The majority of the candidates have scouting in their blood too.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Looks like Riddick is getting a second interview. They interviewed a zillion candidates, Riddick would be down the list for me.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I don’t have a preference as long as they come from a solid organization that has had a lot of success drafting and managing the cap. One area I think the Steelers could improve on is draft day trades and managing player contracts from the perspective of knowing when to cut bait and trade them for draft capital. I feel like we too often either hold onto players too long, or let them knowingly play out their contract and hit free agency without an opportunity to trade them for draft capital.Obviously every situation is unique and you can’t always just trade a player when you have no contingency behind them but I feel like there were a few instances where we could have made trades to pick up some draft capital.

13. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    They're interviewing the vice president of player personnel for both the Titans and the Buccaneers, both of which have solid teams. I think the Bucs have been put together as well as any other team but there's always the Brady factor and how much he's responsible for roster moves. Regardless, as long as they do their due diligence I'll trust whatever choice they make.

• Like Like x 1
  14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Second interviews for those two. I’m guessing they’ll finish second round of interviews next week and announce the new gm shortly thereafter.

15. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Thanks. I did forget to my mention the second interview detail from the article I read.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Just a hunch but I think they are interviewing so many people because they are looking for an unusual arrangement. I think they are going back to when they didn’t officially have a GM. IIRC, Colbert didn’t get the GM title until years later.

I think they are looking for a more of a partnership between Tomlin and the next guy with Tomlin having final say as far as personnel decisions go.

Reason I think that is because Tomlin will now be taking part in the interview process now that the draft is over. Who interviews their future boss?

In the end I bet it will be Hunt or Khan because they will probably be the only two that would agree to that. Or maybe Riddick, I could see him going along with that.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I think you are spot on.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    If that is the case then why not just name Tomlin the GM and Head Coach? I guess for the sake of titles maybe they feel like it will be harder to get a VP of operations or Assistant GM so they just call the position GM. The league is small and tight so people are going to know what the real job title is. I hope they don’t give Tomlin that much control. Very few Coaches can handle both the duty of GM and Head Coach and do both jobs well. If they legit hire a legit GM I hope they focus on the following teams to cherry pick from -
    Ravens
    Colts
    Rams
    49’ers
    Saints
    These are the tope teams at evaluating talent in my mind.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

That is probably a reasonable hunch, but I’m not sure it’s true. It’s not uncommon for a new gm to bring in his own coach. My bet is the Steelers know they already have a great coach in tomlin and are looking for someone that will work with him. As opposed to a I’m your boss type of relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  20. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

If they’re so good at evaluating talent then why haven’t they done anything? Yes. The rams just won the Super Bowl. However, they didn’t do it through scouting and drafting players. They did it through trading away all their draft picks for players. They’re not exactly building a dynasty.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Fair point. Other than a Non Brady team their haven’t been a lot of other teams to win Super Bowls over the last decade. Obviously the other key ingredient to building a very successful franchise is having a franchise QB in place. SF doesn’t have one yet but they have still been very successful in recent years. Same with Colts and Ravens. Rams just got their franchise QB and just like that Super Bowl. Regarding the Saints I have just always liked the way they draft.

• Like Like x 1
  23. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Colbert wasn't really Tomlin's boss, he didn't have the authority to fire him or anything like that, they work together in personnel just like Cowher/Colbert did according to Dale Lolley.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Andy Weidl is a name that even Kevin Colbert spoke about recently in an interview with Dan Sileo. That said, no reason to rush the pick... unlike some Owners many of us know... *coughs* Shahid Kahn *coughs*.

All this taken into account.. no doubt there is one aspect that the GM has to be able to have in spades; being lockstep with Mike Tomlin. This is not to say Tomlin needs to have complete control (pro tip; he will not) but someone that will Tomlin what he needs to hear. If anything, a very honest and positive relationship; no different than it was for both Colbert/Cowher to Colbert/Tomlin.

Long story short; an exceptional peoples person with an exceptional football mind. Not as easy nor simple to find so much as one believes.

• Like Like x 1
  25. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016