1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving props to Mike Tomlin this week.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 22, 2017.

1. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    He's been here 10 years for reasons. Nothing wrong with staying status quo. Especially considering that all this team did and does is WIN with him as the HC.

The team wins on sheer talent in spite of him. Nonsense, if that's the case why can't the talent on this team win in spite of him every week?

You must hate that the Tomlin coached Steelers continue to win. It must be difficult for you to route for the team with a coach you hate so much.

Oh and Tomlin's helped to assemble some of the talent on this team. You guys can carry on with the hate fest now.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I think that's taking it too far. Obviously he's not a horrible coach. If he were this team of ego's would have imploded many times over. He's not going to come up with a master plan to beat a great team. Our record in the playoffs and NE is proof of this. Our record against bad teams says something. He's not a HOF coach. But he's also not horrible. He did win a Lombardi. He's an average coach IMO that does a nice job of keeping the team together. There have been plenty of times this team could have imploded over the years but never did. In the NFL horrible coaches have losing seasons. Great coaches win titles. (more than 1) I think we have an average coach with great talent. I do think other coaches could have done more with what we have, I also think we could do worse. There's no doubt we have under achieved over the last 6 years. If Tomlin is coaching the Titans or the Bengals I have no doubt he would have been fired by now. If Tomlin were coaching the patriots or cowboys he might have a ring, several playoff births, and some disappointing seasons.

I agree it's tough to watch under achievement. When a coach can win by over achieving or take a bad team and make them great or take a great team and beat other great teams (aka win playoff games)...that's IMO what it means to be a great coach. we don't have that, but that doesn't mean we can't win another ring or two under Tomlin. I also think people can learn to be great. Bellicheat was not always a good coach. Just because Tomlin hasn't over achieved as a steeler HC.. he could still improve. He's capable of learning as most people are. Tomlin could still end his career as a great coach. If he wins another ring...especially if he can do it without Ben... I think it would be hard to deny Tomlin credit if he shows the ability to rebuild a team and win it all more than once. His story has not been written, like you seem to think it is.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    It succeeded and basically put the game away. 15 was not going to happen for that Bengals offense. Also, even if it failed the Bengals were around midfield. So what? The defense drove them backwards when they had field position the last time. I think it was a good gamble at the time. Even giving up a FG because we gave them some position would have left it a 9 point game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Whether Tomlin stays for another 20 years doesn't affect my life.. But maybe it affects yours more since you sound pretty sensitive.

Cheers!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Nah bro im not a hater. Its a big burden to carry for anyone that has hate and dislike for anything or anyone one. You have to live with your hate and dislike of Tomlin as long as you follow this team. That must be stressful for you. So it does affect you and your life.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    You really showed me. :lolol:

7. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    It was on our 40 yard line. 12 point game. 11min and 18 seconds left on the clock. you really don't know football if you think giving them the ball on our 40 was no big deal in that situation. Not to mention the potential for a turnover when attempting a play like that. A punt was more likely to win that game then a completed pass. We did complete it, so it didn't matter. It just bothers me that we would do something so stupid in that situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I thought golden called for it? That’s what I heard

9. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

No he needs to praised for always bringing fourth a competitive Steelers team year in and year out..

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  10. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

you heard right.. golden makes that call based on coverage.. He alerts the long snapper

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
  12. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    The fake punt call took balls. And balls is something we haven't seen from this team in a VERY long time. Of course it was risky! So is an onside kick in the Super Bowl. They saw something on an earlier punt that lead them to make that call late in the game.

And the logic that something could have gone wrong works the other way tool. What is the snap goes over the punter's head? What if it's blocked? What if he shanks it for a 15 yard punt and they basically get the ball there anyhow?

I applaud the call and would have even if it didn't work. THIS is the type of thing that wins games, not playing prevent and trying not to lose.

13. MadtownDruankard

Aug 31, 2015
    Using the same logic why are we not going for 2 on ever TD? Didn't that take "Balls" ? Tomlin has always made "ballsy" calls his entire career. What you call Ballsy others would call risky. Some others might call it stupid.

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I almost always support trying to keep the ball over trying to gain some field position. NFL coaches are in general way too cowardly about going for it on 4th downs. Plus with the way our defense was playing I was not particularly worried about given the Bengals field position. I don't think they would have done anything with it and even if they eked out a first down or two a FG made it a 9 point game. Oh, and a turnover on that throw would have been pretty much like a punt. Just not something to get upset over. If they start going crazy with these sorts of plays I might start complaining, but mainly because if we are going to go for it on 4th downs I in general would prefer to keep our offense out there to do it. It just so happens that they caught the Bengals in the perfect look to run this, ran it, and it worked. Not something to get upset about, imo. I think the risk was worth it as it basically put the game away. Punt and you gain maybe 40 yards of field position which does little to put the game away (and it is always possible a punt results in a block or return, which if we are worried about a turnover on the fake then it seems fair to point out).

15. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    Tomlin is a great coach but he needs to be fired! See, now I have made everyone happy!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. BK99

BK99 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    This^^^^^!!!!! That quote sums it up perfectly. I'm critical and I don't hate Tomlin, but I think he gets a lot more credit than he actually deserves. He has been able to keep the team together when things were bleak and for that I give him credit and he has been able to do good things. The issue is underachieving with a talented roster, and believe it or not I do give him credit for being able to win because he has taken the talent and actually have them play as a unit for the most part. I remember the Eagles the year they had the "dream team" but the coaching staff could not get those players to be able to work within their system and they went from dream team to not making the playoffs. So just based on what could happen I say we have a good coach but again, you have be objective and say that while he has done really good things with the team he has also squandered a lot of opportunities by not being able to game plan and we see it every when we watch games like the Jags game or the Bears, when a team is incapable of throwing the ball and the defense can't stop the run, they should have known in practice that they would get a heavy dose of run and prepared for it. Against the Jags you would have thought that they know they have the worst run defense in the league but the best pass defense with the best CB in the game and they would have prepared for a ground attack, but we all saw the 55 pass attempts with 15 runs. You can say it is on the OC or DC but Tomlin has the responsibility of looking at the game plans and he is also responsible of having a plan "B", something we have never had under him, if it is bad from the start, it is bad the entire game and that has been a problem with his coaching style. I don't think many hate him, it is just that we also don't think he is great either, he is a good coach that can win with a pretty good roster of talent, he just lacks the ability to keep his teams focused for an entire season, and I apologize for constantly bringing up the AFCCG but that was a game in which Tomlin was out coached big time. Brady threw 36 passes and we had ZERO passes defended, it was like they didn't even put a plan together and just told the guys to wing it playing a soft zone that not only allowed for dink and dunk but intermediate passes as well. They had no plan in place on offense either, they should have know AB would be doubled and tripled in coverage so you would have thought they would have prepared for that, well it didn't look as if they prepared for that game at all and those are the things with Tomlin that gets me. It isn't even as much as the record against sub .500 teams as it is that we always end up not just losing in a lot of those game but always getting blown out as if they didn't even practice, and that is the main criticism of Tomlin, he is a good coach that has average results with an above average roster.

17. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Rooney's disagree with you, they gave him a contract extension so you can keep on hating :facepalm:.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    MT still sucks as a coach Bell and the pass rush are saving his ass right now. When the game gets down to coach vs coach MT is still a student

19. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Don't you mean he's only winning with Cowhers players? Oh wait nevermind.

20. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Don't you mean he's only winning with Cowhers players? Oh wait nevermind.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Should the Steelers win it this year that would put Tomlin 1 ahead of Cowher as a head Coach and he already has more rings then Bill.

22. Jim90

Jim90 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011

When he first took over that's an easy yes....now with those players gone they haven't been to the big show in over 10 years. He's a cheerleader

23. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Well since this is 2017 and we were last in the Super Bowl in 2010. Wasn't a math major, but that's not over 10 years. Nice try though.

• Like Like x 1
  24. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    How does he already have more rings than Bill? Did I miss a Super Bowl win?

25. Steelers89

Steelers89 Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Better question, what does he need to accomplish to be better than Noll?