1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving props to Mike Tomlin this week.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by 86WardsWay, Oct 22, 2017.

1. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    If anyone has been been following me on this site then they know I usually criticize him at times immensely.

I thought he had this team very well prepared and focused this week. A few blunders but not worth complaining about. Keep it up Mike. Good job.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    At times?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    yes he most certainly did 86.. your right there. he needs to be lauded as a good to great coach :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    This is a first :shrug:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

True. Guilty. That's why I had to post this. He drives me nuts sometimes. Not today.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Today was a good day Tater.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Props? To Tomlin? Is that allowed on here?

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Well said.

Well disciplined against a very volatile adversary no less. I concur.

Our biggest tests have yet to come but I will worry about those teams for another day.

I am celebrating this win.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    2 big wins in a row, very good job indeed

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Remember!!

[​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    No one should doubt that Tomlin is a good coach after all these years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    yesandno.gif

• Like Like x 6
  13. lewisha

lewisha Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Good coach, not great, and certainly should not be untouchable, as some believe. That being said, he had a great game plan this week, although Conner should have got more work in the 4th. If Bell goes down...
    One more thing, if Tomlin gets the final win before the bye, I will not say a bad word about him the rest of the year, lol.

14. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Since all coaches occasionally do **** that seems really stupid (and sometimes is), I find it best to evaluate coaches based on the larger picture. Since Tomlin has been here the Steelers have been competitive pretty much every year, with disappointing years almost always being related to injuries. They have many times been down in games and I as a fan have been ready to give up only to see the Steelers come back and make a game of it. I think they play hard for him and usually play well. I am fine with Tomlin as a head coach even though he does still need to get better at certain things (like time management, although I think he has improved there). I really don;t see anyone out there who is clearly better, setting aside everyone's favorite hoodie wearing genius.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tomlin's story is still be written. He will more than likely go down as a great coach.

No coach immune from criticism. Some of the criticisms thrown Tomlin's were just dumb. Some people trash the man like he has no idea what he's doing. Tomlin will be untouchable (in terms of being fired) as long as this team continues to remain competitive and win.

Can't be to concerned about what ifs. The Steelers needed this win and Bell delivered.

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Win a super bowl this year and then I’ll put Tomlin on my bed ceiling next to cowher

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  17. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    toomuchinfo.gif

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    So today we are lauding him great for a win against the Bungles? I mean, I guess that's pretty impressive for him.

Don't mind me, I'm just passing through this thread. Carry on.

19. Frost33

Frost33 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2014
    I really liked how prepared this team was to play today. Another thing I really liked was seeing a fired up Mike on the sideline. I'm SO sick of the show no emotion no matter what Mike. I really think this team responds to it

20. theRealeHarris

theRealeHarris Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    The Tomlin era is far from ever. At least another 4 seasons?
    2 Superbowl appearances. 1 Superbowl win. An additional 4 serious playoff appearances/runs. Multiple seasons jeopardized by injury. Consistent questionable draft selections....just a few notes

21. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    The coaching staff did a fantastic job the last 2 weeks getting this team prepared. 2 games in a row is exactly what we needed to get some confidence back. I hope this means we got the train back on the tracks and can ride it to the promise land. If there was ever a season that the SB was ours for the taking, this is it.

I was very surprised by the last two games after watching the choke job in Chicago and poor game planning vs Jacksonville. Consistency has always plagued Tomlin's teams. The record against bad teams is a prime example of this. His post season record is prime example of this. Even in beating the crap out of the Bengals the score was closer than it should have been... this has sort of been a theme for this years offense. We can't score TD's. Settling for FG's is keeping the opponent in games. This is an issue that must be fixed if we want to win another ring.

The fake FG was probably one of the more moronic decisions Tomlin has made in a long time..but it worked out in our favor so everyone will forget. If that attempt fails or results in a TD for the Bengals it''s a colossal gaffe that could have cost us the game. This is a coach IMO that is great at times and horrible at times, he took risks often. He'll be remembered by inconsistency. IMO Tomlin has lost too many games against inferior opponents. It's a rare event to see the steelers out coach anyone. We don't win the chess match. We win by trying to impose our will. This leaves us susceptible to being out coached . There isn't a better team talent wise in the NFL. Our FO also deserves some props for the talent we seem to churn out. How often do you see a top 5 WR, RB, QB, great OL, along with studs on defense all on the same team? There is not a team with our talent. Period. Tomlin is an average coach with great weapons.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I think you are more happy after loses it gives you a legitimate reason to rip Tomlin, on days like this you just come off as a hater.

• Agree Agree x 5
  23. Steven Leonard

Steven Leonard Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2017
    I think you are more happy after loses it gives you a legitimate reason to rip Tomlin, on days like this you just come off as a hater.

24. MadtownDruankard

MadtownDruankard Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Really? lol You obviously haven't been around me after a bad loss.

I've been consistent with my criticisms of Tomlin. I also gave him credit for the last 2 games. fantastic wins. This is the team we need to be if we're going to win playoff games.

Am I skeptical? hell yes. we got our asses kicked by the Bears and Jags. Compare both of those rosters position by position to ours and then explain to me how Tomlin doesn't deserve criticism. I remember the last 7 years pretty well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Could not have said it better. Ill add as he has been here for 10 years, what you see is what you get. He is not progressing, or getting better, and not going to. He is what he is. His inadequate and inconsistent game planning and his inability to strategize(or is he just arrogant his approach 100% works?) against other nfl coaches has hurt this teams development in some ways imo.

The team wins on sheer talent in spite of him.

• Disagree Disagree x 2