1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Giving out some love

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Watt Wack, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    We played a team on a 4-game winning streak, in contention to win their div. with a first overall pick QB in his 3rd year (meaning he should be experienced enough to shine), with our x-DC (who knows everything about us) with is current players inspired to win for him, in his honor....and we destroyed them, in the end.

The team was prepared and focused. A tip of my hat to Tomlin. I really don't want to hate the guy but sometimes his coaching - or lack thereof - makes me angry. But not last night. They kept showing him, and I found myself being happy for him and this game. Over all, the team was prepared, and - just as I blame him when they are not - I have to give him some love for having the team ready. Kudos, Mike. Job well done.

And, for the QB that half in here claim is a dumpster fire, he sure didn't seem like hot garbage to me. Did you see some of those throws? Frozen ropes. You think he stinks so badly now? How many QBs out there could make those throws and put a 40-burger up? Go ahead and name all the QBs who are so much better than Ben. Go ahead, I am listening. He obviously outplayed Mariota (4 ints). It's easy to dump dirt on Ben as he is out there risking his health. He was balling, and we might not have his level of play for 20 years (Remember life after Bradshaw? How long before we had good QB play after him?)

How about Bryant? No, he didn't light up the stat sheet, but he showed up, put his tantrums behind him and contributed (including hustling to jump on a fumble by AB). I don't know if MB will ever fulfil his potential, I don't know if he will fall back into being a baby, but last night, he put his whining behind him and did his job. That is not easy to reverse course and man up but he did so.

The D? Yea, early on some major gaffes. Those two deep balls were some crap D. But as I told a few buddies, this D will get on track in the 2nd half, and boy did they. We were missing our top CB and starting safety but they heated up in the 2nd half and became a bees' swarm. Let's not forget, the last 5 years, or so, our D almost never came up with turnovers. It's damn hard to win without some. Last night they balled, after looking soft earlier. I like this D. I like how they can be a pack of wild dogs (LT quote).

Haley? I don't got much love. It still appears that when TH calls plays, they do way too much short, tricky crap when we have the players to open up a can of whoop -ss. It still seems to me the only time they play to their potential is when Todd ISN'T calling the plays. That's what the eye test shows me.

Yea, i too can fall into the "But we can't beat the Pats" mode, but for now I am going to enjoy this game, and this season, before wallowing in Pat depression. Good job, fellas. Enjoy it and recharge your batteries.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Good post until you brought up the Pats.:facepalm:

BTW - GB is our next opponent.

Oh and Bryant left a lot of plays on the field last night. It's obvious he doesn't fight for the ball and that's a shame cause he could be so much better if he did.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    I dunno. He seemed to battle for at least a couple that I recall. I think he needs work on positioning his body better, the way AB does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Not consistently... Could use improvement and agree with his positioning. Other than that just hold onto the damn ball and he'll be O-Tay!

The O really needs to exploit the short to mid game and get him going... As well as establishing the rhythm we saw last night. No huddle isn't needed to get that going playbook is. No huddle should be a nice addition.

5. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Green Bay Packers
    Green Bay Packers
    Green Bay Packers

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Aye!!! Put em to bed. One foot in front of the other!

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    AB has the best body control of any receiver I've ever seen. Some of the subtle things he does at times in getting himself into position cannot be taught. Take a look at his first TD catch last night and watch closely as he takes a quick half-step to the inside and then times his jump perfectly to come down with the ball. He got himself into perfect position between the two DBs who really had decent coverage on him. That was a thing of beauty.

• Agree Agree x 5
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Funny watching the chest thumping over Bens performance yesterday, as if last nights game means his previous struggles didnt take place.

News flash, players skills diminish as they get older. I still think he retires at the end of the year.

Agree with the overall gist of the post though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    The last 6 quarters have showed those skills are not gone

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I agree. We don't know if Ben was nicked up in some of those games. Ben's binky, Heath Miller hasn't been adequately replaced, either. I think the effort is there from the TE's we have, I would just like to see more consistency. Point is, I'm not suggesting none of the offensive struggles are Ben's fault, they clearly are. He has consistently missed with the long ball and suffered some accuracy issues overall. But, it isn't all his fault, nor is it all Haley's fault; there is enough blame to go around. Plus, as a previous poster said, those teams are trying to prevent our offense from moving the the ball and scoring. No, really. They get paid for it and everything.

I hope the Titans game is an indication that the offense has turned the corner, and not a teaser. If this offense can get on the same page more seamlessly, they can really do some damage. Screw the Cheatriots, bring 'em on.

11. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    IMO the skills could be gone/going but the experience is what is gonna save him and our team. What I mean by that is if he makes the right decisions and uses his experience the players around him have the skill to make the plays and I feel can cover up the fact that Bens skills are diminishing. This team is talented, maybe more talented than we have ever had top to bottom. We are deeper oline - #4 wr than any team I can remember and Ben shouldn't need to carry us anymore just steer us, no?

12. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    One last thing when this season is over we could have played over half the teams in the playoffs in the AFC. The Cheat, KC, Jags/Tenn/indy/Texans one of these teams will make it id not 2 so that will be 3 teams out of 6 that make the playoffs in the AFC and us being the 4th. I hope we keep going the way we have and keep the #1 seed and the road will go thru Pittsburgh!!!!!!

13. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    How much does a quiet Home crowd help

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats what Ive been saying to you, game manager Ben, we can win with that. Obviously Thursdays performance would be much more helpful and appreciated :lolol:

Not sure how many more games like that Ben has in him though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    No no no......Game manager Ben has to hit the easy passes you know the ones where the guys are wide open??? Up until 3 games ago we did not have that Ben. I don't want or expect Ben to carry this team but I do expect Ben to be able to make the easy play.....we are seeing that now. Those two Bens are night and day and while you and I are on the same page with what we want/need from Ben our take on what we are getting from him are not. The last 3 games Ben is hitting our guys more instride, not always but more. The wide open misses are going away and the production is going up. jmo :thumbs_up:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Um, last game wasnt game manager Ben, lol. That was vintage lighting it up Ben.

We disagree on what a game manager is. 200-250 yards, a TD or 2 and a win is game managing to me.

I dont know what you deem an easy pass. Vance wide open in the end zone? How many of those have their been for the taking.

Bens been throwing high, goes back to last season, needs to stop sailing them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012
    IMO a game manager don't make mistakes, gets the ball to the play makers very high percentage passes. This is the Ben I want to see and yes Thursday night Ben was a game manager. He did throw deep but his numbers came from his guys making plays. Now before you say wait Ben made plays yes he did but just what he needed to get by.

I am not bashing his play I feel Thursday's game was a lot of what I have been saying for weeks I want to see. The long td to AB was due to a fee play cause of offsides, that was all Ben and the experience part. The long passes that he missed were much better thrown than in weeks past. I am not about numbers, Ben could throw for 500 yards in this quick strike offense and he would still be a game manager, no?

As for the Vance comment there have been many, were they in the endzone no but the first few games of the season Ben has missed many of these throws and he rarely hit a guy in stride. He is far from that guy right now and if he keeps getting better great if not I will take improved Ben over the last 3 weeks. :smiley1:

18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    What the hell dude, no, just no, LOL

19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

If any remain for him, they will be needed in the playoffs.

As me and you have discussed. Ben can get us there but Bell must remain the catalyst to ascend to the stairway.

20. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Which brings me to a minor annoyance from Thursday..Can we please defer when we win the toss at home!!!???

Not only is the crowd going to be near its loudest at the start of the game, but also it is 100% of the time going to be at its quietest at the start of 2nd half when most of the crowd is still in line for the bathroom or for food and beer. (and in some cases disgustingly eating food or drinking beer IN the bathroom..You know who you are!)

21. Rush2seven

Oct 17, 2011
    Seems like they usually do defer, but the game plan was to attack the Titans with their offense, first Drive proved to be true to that

22. NY STEELERFAN

Dec 10, 2012

[​IMG]

:puking 4::puking 4::puking 4:

23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I’m usually disgustingly getting rid of food and beer.