1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Getting a Feeling Todman could be unleashed

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Jan 7, 2016.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Good morning guys and gals I have been looking at some tape last night and this morning and it is very clear that Todman is more than capable as a KR . OK lets get down to brass tacks he has more skill at it than Wheaton . Why does he not play on that unit ?

Todman clearly has more NFL experience than Fitzgerald. I was surprised to find that Fitz ran a 4.43 forty.That is a very solid time .DW ran a 4.45 in his hay day. Todman clocked in at a 4.4. So all these guys are very similar in the speed area slight advantage to Todman...

So next I looked at vision and of course DW won that,I thought.. I would rate him a 8 on a scale from 1 to 10 in seeing a hole and feeling where a hole will be before it opens up ...The tape on Fitz not so good at vision looking at the game tape very closely he gave up a lot of yards not feeling the crease or seeing where it develops . I would give him a 6 in that area...When I look at Todman his KR tape and his RB tape show him a guy with very good vision and the same ability as DW to see a hole before it exist...He rated out at a 8 just like DW did to me..

Now in the passing game all 3 of those guys look very similar, but It appears to me that Todman has the best hands of the bunch and is clearly the biggest threat after the catch ? So again why no PT for Todman?

My take on it is Coach wanted to keep Todman healthy in case they needed him, coupled with the fact that Fitz was putting in a blue collar workman effort day in and day out ...With DW healthy neither RB was going to get much work anyway so why not Reward the hard worker... With that said this week is a different beast and I am sure they will want the best RB that we have on the field...IMO I have no doubt that is Todman..Not that Fitz is not good, it's just that Todman is Quicker, has better vision, has better hands, and is a better runner in open space ....I predict Todman will be a big part of the O if DW can't go.....

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  2. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    He doesn't play on that unit because Todman has not being getting a helmet on game days. They have only been dressing two running backs and Toussaint has pasted him on the depth chart.

Returning kicks is a de-valued position because most kickoffs are touch backs anyway. But, with the winter weather your going to see more kick returns. Hopefully this helps us instead of hurting us.

3. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    I really believe while you may be correct PWP that they want somebody that has experienced and sure handed to not mess up the punt returns.

Wheaton as a WR fielding returns just makes good sense. He likely wont break any however he is likely not to make mistakes

4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Left out one very important aspect, blitz pick up, apparently Fitz is good at it. I dont know where Toddmans talents falls in that area.

5. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, as a UCONN guy I am very familiar with Todman going back to his first college snap. He is a solid football player. He was always a solid ball carrier, with the good vision that PWP has mentioned, however I would put his vision and decisiveness a notch or two below DWill's. He can catch and make things happen as a receiver out of the backfield. He is an experienced KR at both the NFL and college level, and was a quality KR for the Jags. I think he is clearly better returning kicks than Wheaton, but I am OK with Wheaton handling those duties because he has certainly stabilized that position.

My only questions with Todman are 1) pass protection, where I think Fitz has an advantage; and 2) power running - he was OK in short yardage at times, but more due to quickness and vision - he's not going to push the pile.

He needs to be a part of the game plan. He's a very solid player, and the moment won't be too big for him.

One play from college always sticks in my mind with Todman. It was a 4th & goal from the 7 with time running out, and us down by a TD. Definitely a passing situation based on down and distance, but Coach Edsall decided to just put the ball in the hands of his best player with the game on the line and ran Todman. On a sweep to the pylon. Even though the blocking was only partly effective, he found a way to the goal line FTW with a combination of speed, fakes and a slipped tackle. It was one of those great plays that great players make when the game is on the line. Now, I'm not saying we should expect such a dramatic result from him in an NFL playoff game, but the point is that he can be trusted to bring his best game to the table when the moment is big.

6. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Start DHB at RB! He has the physical tools and he'd be great at catching passes out of the backfield! He won't drop the short ones! Put him in coach!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    No DHB at RB. He does not have the hips, nor does he have the lower center of gravity needed to be a RB ... DHB has his on thread please direct your comments there .This is a thread on Todman and what I see on tape ,I have a lot of practice watching tape and comparing players . I have never really took a good look at Todman , but now that I have I really like what I see and just wanted to share that with you guys ...

As far as DHB goes he has helped us get to where we are now , he may not have a killer stat line , but he has been very valuable just like I said he would be... Keep watching he will make a big play or 2 Saturday Night as well...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    DHB > Randy Moss and Jerry Rice

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Fitz looks very good at it and Todman looks ok. If rating I would give Fitz a 8 and Todman a 6 . Todman is best used to check down instead of step up.... So both guys can be effective , but I would rather Fitz be in if looking to go deep ...

10. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not greater ,,, Faster yes,,,,Better blocker yes,,,,Better ST player yes ..... Great value for the Steelers,,, had DHB not made some of the timely plays he made this year the Steelers would not be in the playoffs ..As a Steeler fan you should be thankful he is on this Team...

Here I try and do a thread on another Important player that we will need and all some of you guys is clown and not really add anything to the thread . Well do what you do ...I will continue to do what I do....Go Steelers....

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Thanks for a meaningful reply, even though I think his vision is equal to DW'S and you don't ..At least you stated what you have seen on him and how you feel about that ... I appreciate the story as well as I have not seen that game or that play .. I will now go search for it...

12. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Good luck finding it. I don't remember which game specifically, just that it was a home game, and I watched it from a upper deck seat, at about the 10 yard line on the side of the play. It stuck with me.

13. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    DHB faster than rice, for sure. Moss in his prime, nah man. lol. Sure he is a better special teamer , i'll buy that. nothing else

14. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I'm just glad you said "brass tacks" corerctly. :thumbs_up:

15. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I think both Todman and Touissant will get their carries.... my concern is fumbles. Guys that don't get many carries during the season tend to fumble more often. These guys are both virtually unknown. Not really sure how you can evaluate Todman on 4 rushing attempts, but ok, your analysis is always fun to read. :)

16. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    DHB will help take us to the promise land

17. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Umm. Todman has been in the league for a few years now.

18. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm sure Toussaints 4.4 was probably before he destroyed his leg at Michigan or a favorable stopwatch. Toussaint has Todman beat in the pass protect dept which is why they favor him. As far as running the ball I think Todman provides the better upside and he rarely fumbles. Not sure they can rotate them and not give away their intentions of the play call. They will give Toussaint first crack until he proves them wrong. I don't see Todman getting much run otherwise.
    I understand the importance of pass protect but they still have to find ways to get the RBs the ball. We need some sort of threat from the position.
    The best solution is to hope that D Will can go...

19. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    So long as it isn't hell being unleashed, we should be okay.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Yep I went to the Jag tape on NFL rewind..

21. MorrisFoster

MorrisFoster Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2014
    DHB = (Randy Moss + Jerry Rice)*2

It's simple math really. Ha.

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    The Steelers can win if the running game is serviceable. They actually gained more rushing yards than the Ravens did in the playoff game last year. Neither QB had the benefit of a strong running game. The difference was that Flacco was sacked once and threw no INT's. Ben was sacked 5 times and threw 2 INT's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Come on PWP it is just some good natured fun and lets face it some of it you do bring on yourself. That being said if Todman is the better option for kick returns I liked to see him get a try, however it is going to take a lot to get him in there since Tomlin seems slow to action on some of these necessary actions.

• Like Like x 1
  24. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My hope is that Tomlin doesn't give them the hook if they do fumble once and scrap the run game to go all out pass. We know he punishes the running backs that way while giving DB's the opportunity to dig themselves out of a rut. So if soemone does but it on the turf ala Tate last year they give them a chance for redemption.

25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They have no real film work on him so if he has any skills..then maybe he can have the game of his life during an important playoff game. Would make a wonderful story