1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Get a FB in FA or the Draft: Two Candidates

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by edog55, Feb 20, 2012.

1. edog55

edog55 Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I'm pulling for the steelers to do one of two things:
    Either sign Owen Schmitt (Eagles) in FA, he would be cheap

or

Draft Terrance Ganaway, RB/FB, Baylor
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 241.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.60.
    Arm: 31 3/4. Hand: 9 1/2.
    Projected Round (2011): 3-4.
    1/16/12: Some teams in the NFL could look at Ganaway as a fullback. For the Bears, he played running back and had a good senior season. Ganaway ran against very easy fronts because teams played the deep part of the field to try to limit quarterback Robert Griffin III and wide receiver Kendall Wright. Ganaway ran for 1,547 yards (6.2 average) and 21 touchdowns in 2011. He has a nice mix of size and speed to run through tackles and break off some long runs. In the NFL, Ganaway could be a hybrid power back and fullback. He needs to improve on his receiving ability as he totaled only 12 receptions for 133 yards and one touchdown in his collegiate career.

Lets see what he does at the combine!

2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Fullback is one of the cheapest positions. I wonder what Marcel Reece would cost. He is really, really good. I don't see where Schmitt has done anything to prove that he was anything more than a good college player. I have no idea whether Ganaway can play FB on the NFL level. It seems like there's speculation that he can because of his weight, and we've already got a stable of 240 lb. RBs that aren't really FB material.

3. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I'd like to see more of Chad Diehl from Clemson. He could be had late late in the draft or even udfa

4. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I'd pass...especially if this guy is a potential 3-4th rounder, no way on drafting a FB that high. Theres guys that could be there in the 6-7th that I'd consider but no. And like Elvis said...his size is a little on the light end for a FB too.

5. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I want an established fullback, not a running back who is the size and shape of a fullback.

I'd go for Reece too, but he'll want top FB money, which is not a lot, but still too much for us. I see him as everything the Steelers wanted Carey Davis to be. But I'm not greedy. I don't need a "do it all" guy. I just want someone who excels at being a lead blocker, and I don't care how much they suck at everything else.

That said, I don't think 240 lbs is too light for a fullback. Kreider was only like 255, and he was huge. Lester was a great lead blocker, and while I don't know exactly what he weighed, he was on the smaller side. Probably in the 230s.

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    when kreider first got here he was only about 230-235. they beefed him up the next couple of years. he was very capable at 235. thats about what lester played at 230. whitmen was about the same, maybe 240. he was just a little taller. attitude plays a big role. technique is also a big plus. i still like gentry, and he's a ST's deamon too, which is a plus. :cool: