1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

George Pickens ‘Visibly Upset’ After Exchange With WR Coach Zach Azzanni Late In Practice

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jul 25, 2024.

1. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Pickens reminds me of what Crash Davis said about Nuke in Bull Durham. Million dollar talent with a 5 cent head.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The only reason I've defended Lamar in the past is because he thinks he's a terrible QB....It's like he thinks because he can run, he can't throw, even though his stats as a passer are above average...The only thing he is right about him is that he's awful in the playoffs and that's a big deal.Still a very good QB in the regular season who he can't admit

He also said that Josh Allen is overrated and his play in the playoffs is the reason why the Bills haven't been in the Super Bowl, he's stubborn about it and he ignores the facts

3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    The Steelers would DIE to have either of those two QBs. Even though I do think playoff Lamar is a bust. He would fit right in with MT!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Definitely weird.
    Some people just aren’t satisfied unless they are making others equally as miserable as they are.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I Think MR Pickens is going to be :bscow: with a attitude a :crycry: baby a total loser should have shipped him off with Johnson Now it will be a distraction all season:ACK!:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Azzanni has been coaching for a long time despite being only 47. I severely doubt he is going to change for anyone; Pickens included. If anything, after the likes of Ike Hillard and Frisman Jackson, I'd imagine that the Front Office, along with Tomlin, have had enough of the distractions caused by WRs since Antonio Brown.

Someone like Zach Azzanni is just what the doctor ordered; a no nonsense, fully commited and stern fundamentalist.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

I agree with this.....This look like a great hire!

8. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

iF Piockens goes any where its because the QBS suck, and Tomlin isnt that great as some say.. If he HAS a good season, 1500 yrds? why would he want to Leave? esp if we have a bunch of $$ like u said.. a;ll this hype abt he is a problem is more of the media starting ****.... and some just jumping on bored like society does.. with every other thing

9. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Same can be said abt MT in the past;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jball

Jball Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Question is, will George embrace the change as a football positive? It might frustrate him, but he has to believe and accept that the discipline and rigorous nature of Azzanni's ways are almost certainly going to make him a better player. Guess we'll see how badly George wants to be great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    this is a concern

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Indeed we shall.

I do concur with @Blast Furnace that tossing him out now isn't the way to go about things. How much more will it escalate remains to be seen.

13. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    You don't even know what was said. But you jumped right off the cliff to thinking Pickens had a problem, as well that he was the one in the wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    He scares me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Bubbahotep

Bubbahotep Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2022
    Like any petulant child, they tend to test authority. If you set strong enough boundaries, they eventually figure out that they can't cross them without serious consequences.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    About time. This team has been seriously short on accountability. Getting rid of an Ahole like DJ and letting Pickens know what's up on the first day is great.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Not the only one in Pro sports.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think after Brown and Bell a lot of us are uneasy at even the smallest infraction. And the media sure as hell jumps on the smallest crap.

19. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    If he has 1500 yards,his value could be very high on the trade market if his drama is not out of the control this year,so if the steelers would a big offer for him they need to think about that....One thing is sure,next offseason this is either a extension for him(at 30 millions or more if he has around 1500 yards) or trade him....If he is great,can't lose him for nothing

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pickens lacks discipline in how to act. Azzanni is a disciplinarian.

I'm sure OC Smith will have a meeting with Pickens.

Hopefully this doesn't extend any further.

Look around the league. Most of the top talents are. That's not excusing Pickens. It's his 3rd year and he should be taking more of a leader approach being he is the 1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    He is finally being held accountable. This what we needed and wee didn’t have last year. Tomlin is never going to be the bad cop. Thats why he needs bad cops in the coordinator positions. Tomlin works best in that environment see Todd Haley with Ben. Tomlin can now ride in on his white horse after Pickens settles down and speak to reason to him on why it is important to listen to the WR coach and the reason and logic behind what the WR coach is trying to accomplish. Once Pickens comes to realize it isn’t personal it is for the whole teams benefit perhaps he can accept crtisicim as an opportunity to get better. Thats the difference between someone like him and Hines Ward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  22. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    look Pickens might change and turn out to be great-- but can we afford to wait for him to grow up:rolleyes:

23. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Because we pick receivers. Unfortunately it’s in their DNA. The majority at least. We get guys with great “talent” but not a lot with great character. The star WR at least.

So frustrating.

Does anyone remember the Hines Ward would come to camp with tape over the numbers on his helmet and re-wrote the numbers with a sharpie to remind himself to stay humble and EARN HIS HAT!

His entire career!!! After having a SB MVP!

I want THAT kind of guy again please.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011

25. oldschool

Oct 19, 2011
    You are writing as if “reason” was a character trait with this type of WR. The majority of the stars seem to have some type of diva/entitlement/immaturity component to them.

Some fand make excuses for it, some call it swag; but I call it a distraction.

Why can’t Larry Fitzgerald be the monitor these guys emulate and not the Ocho Cinco’s and AB’s of the world?

Team owners and GM’s REALLY need to have active plans to curb this stuff, turn it around, and nip it in the bud early on in rookie careers or this will never end.

Personality and positive thinking are one thing, but toxicity is another that could mutate.