1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

general draft talk 2013-14 addition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't think any of the TE's in this draft even remotely have the same receiving skillset that Ebron would bring to the Steelers.
    You could argue Amaro I guess but none of the other TE's can carry a candle to what he can do in the passing game. Big drop off after the first (2) IMO mac.

Enter a young future #1 at TE and it could lengthen #83's career as a darn good #2...

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    my trouble is his blocking is not very good. we have a few of those.

amaro looks very good and is known to be a better blocker.

everyone wants a gronk. we don't have tom to start with and we covet that do it all type TE like heath. heath was finally getting back to form. spaeth helped in his short time playing. he should be back healthy too. I just don't see a 1st round pick at that position.

I could live with fiedorowicz, Jensen, grimble, bolser and the two former vets. all 4 of those guys are still quality players in our setting. that would be a lot of money tied up at that position. we also don't have the O-tackles that can be left on their own and need the blocking parts of our TE's game. Johnson wasn't playing bad either before the injury.:cool:

3. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I really like Seferian-Jenkins as well, and think he is more of a 2nd round prospect than a first. That to me is even better. I want CB, ILB, or WR in the first.

I think we need to draft the following (in no order):

CB
    ILB
    OLB
    WR
    TE
    S
    Depth

4. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I really like C.J. Fiedorowicz, and I think there's a strong possibility he could be there at the end of the third. Drafting Ebron wouldn't disappoint me, but I haven't seen enough of Seferian-Jenkins yet to have an educated opinion. The last Huskies player we drafted who had a prior DUI didn't work out so well. (Relax everyone, it was a joke.) I'm surprised you don't have OL on your list, Tarheel.

If Mosely is there at 15 I'll do a cartwheel...

5. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    van noy ......OLB/ILB....... playmaker one guy can play two spots. can play the rightside. can play inside.
    roby............ CB good size and fast.
    moncrief...... big WR with some sub 4.50 speed and some girth.
    johnson...... OT can play the money spot or anywhere else on the line. beachum like.

mosely would be hard to pass in the first also. he is a guy, like van noy. they can play any LB spot.:cool:

6. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Do we go defense in the first round? Or give Ben more weapons?

If we go defense he needs to be a "special" player. LIke Troy. Someone that can start day one and be able to grasp Lebeau's system in training camp. But even troy didn't start his rookie season.

We go with that big WR or TE and give Ben more toys to play with. He will or should be able to catch on to the offense quicker than a defensive player to the defense.

So, if we go defense we need to have a plan that we don't need him to start his rookie year. Most of the starters you seen this year will be starters next year on defense. Minus Clark and Kiesel.

7. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    kareem martin de
    jabari price cb
    aj blue rb ( blue bell backfield as sweet as ice cream)

8. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    In our setting. That is the key. I don't think we would ever utilize a pure receiving TE,we like our guys a little more versatile. So to me Ebron or Amaro or the likes wouldn't fit our style. The O really seemed to take off once Bell got on track and I think and hope he will continue to be the focal point with everything else working off what he can do. That being the case a guy like C.J. Fiedorowicz could be that guy or someone similar flying under the radar. I don't see a TE being a priority just yet. If we do end up with a 3rd for Wallace I could see us using that pick for a TE. If you're going to go with a receiving TE,we might as well go after one of the big bodied WRs instead. I think that's a greater need and would provide more of a impact. We need someone to protect AB.

Also my opinion is that we need both secondary and LB help. We are gonna have to wait and see how our OLB situation plays out. Also the future health of Spence and how they really feel about our other young ILB prospects may steer our draft direction. We can definitely use better depth at both LB positions. CJ Mosley may be too hard to pass up on if he is there at 15.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

how about tre boston? bryn renner?:cool:

10. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I put mosley and van noy very close. shazier is a little behind them but still talented. I think he would take longer to learn the defense than the first two. these are players that 1. we need for the position 2. they can play at any of the LB spots. 3. and maybe most important, they can play the right side that requires a little different skill set. these guys are not just role players, they are playmakers.

if they pick one, I think there is a good possibility that JJ could play in the middle or left side at a higher level. though I will say vince Williams was getting better every game. garvin too, could make some noise.

I think the worst thing they could do is bring foote back to start. if butler goes , I'd make him a coach.

we will have to wait and see what the higher ups decide to do with our current group of players. I don't think they were at a championship level even by the end of the year, but some parts are in place I'd like to think.

it's the O's turn to pick, but if there is a year to change that, and two of those 3 LB'ers are there, I'd have no problem with them going 1-2 with those guys. could you imagine JJ,timmons,mosely,van noy? Williams,garvin,spence,carter as the backups? I'd be all in.:cool:

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would like for them to find a TE later in the draft not in the first round. In the first round I would like the best LT, big WR, or CB.

12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am Liking it

13. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I'm really unsure about Van Noy. His highlights are awesome. However, I just watched 2 of his games on youtube - the 2013 Virginia and Utah State games - and he misses quite a few tackles. We gave up a bunch of big plays this year because of missed tackles, and I'm leery of bringing in someone else who has a tendency to lunge and miss. For some guys, bad tackling can be fixed with good coaching. Other guys never get it. Which type is he? One thing for sure, if his tacking can be improved, he brings a lot of other ability to the game. I personally see him as an ILB, not an OLB, in a 3-4 defense. I think he's a guy who can be used outside to rush the passer in some packages, but I don't see a guy who I think would hold up well rushing against an OT for 4 quarters. I have not watched Mosely in isolation yet, but I have been impressed with him when watching games.

14. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Rose Bowl starting. Some guys that I'm watching as potential high round picks:
    1) Trent Murphy, DE, Stanford. I love this guy's play, but can he bulk up enough to be a DE in our system?
    2) Shane Skov, ILB, Stanford. This guy is a tough, physical linebacker. I like his run defense. I want to watch him on coverage a bit more.
    3) Darqueze Dennard, CB, MSU. It's early, but so far I've noted him as a top 2 or 3 corner who I think fits our system and what we look for in a CB.

15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    dennard may very well be gone when we pick.

skov has been surrounded with a lot of talent, but I've never seen him be a big play game changer or a guy that takes over. he's more of a role player to me.

murphy, I'm unsure about. he has some good moments but how will he do against NFL players?

I wish bullough would have played. he's as solid as they come, and as smart as they come. well except when he did what he did. whatever it was.

I also want to see both safeties for mich.st..:cool:

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    I was pretty impressed with the MSU defense across the board. After the 1st quarter, their defensive front dominated a really good Stanford O-line. However, at this point I don't even know who ant of those guys are, or if any of them are coming out. That middle was clogged up all game though. Some research will be needed.

I do like Murphy, but not in the OLB role that Stanford was using him in extensively today. He's OK in that role, and actually shows some skill in coverage, but I like him best with his hand in the dirt. I think he can be a special player lined up over the OT in a 3-4. He plays the run very stout for a guy who's listed a bit over 260, and he clearly has way more short area quickness than just about any 3-4 DE out there. If he can get to 280, I think he'd dominate in that kind of role.

Skov is a leader. I know he's had talent around him, but he's a really good player in his own right. I need to review more tape and watch him in isolation more.

17. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I think Boston is completely over-rated. His angles and willingness to put his hat in the pile come into question for me.

18. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    I'm not so sure that we do covet that type of TE anymore..

19. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I just saw how we struggled without a good blocking TE when heath was out. Paulson is more of a receiving TE and so was palmer. the O clicked better when heath was back and playing healthier then the first few weeks he came back. it took another step forward when spaeth came back. let's face it we are going to use bell and that requires a blocking TE and usually 2 in Haley's offense. whomever has the best combo game would be my guy.

saf-Jenkins is used a lot in the run game blocking for sankey. they use him like another tackle at times. he also is pretty smooth for a guy his size in pass routes. he's to much of a body catcher though.

grimble is also a very good one if he comes out. I just think it's a pretty deep group this draft.:cool:

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The Sugar Bowl is starting. Players to watch:
    C.J. Mosley, ILB, Alabama, #32,
    HaHa Clinton-Dix, Safety, Alabama, #6,
    Cyrus Kouandjio, OT, Alabama, #71 as first round prospects.
    Kevin Norwood, WR, Alabama, #83 as a late round prospect.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Speaking of Norwood, that was some great effort right there.

22. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Thanks for putting their position/school (for those of us who don't know everyone).

23. numbah58

Oct 16, 2011
    My thoughts on it mac is that if we land a true receiving TE (Ebron, Amaro), it could allow Heath some serious mismatches in the passing game as well as reduce the impact it makes when he stays in to help the O-line. Right now Heath is the best blocker and receiver at TE. His receiving skills are diminishing but he could still be very effective with another weapon at TE. I still feel that he's the best blocking TE in the game and could play another 5-7 years if asked to do just a little bit less. It's almost unfair what we ask of him in this offense. He needs some help IMO.

24. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I think the "don't use a pick on an athletic pass-catching TE because we wouldn't use him" argument is a myth. Are some of you saying that if Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, Gronk, etc where on this team that they wouldn't get utilized properly? I don't buy it. When we have had capable TE's we have always used them in the passing game (except maybe during the BA tenure). The problem has always been that we draft small OT's instead of large WR's to play TE! Other than Eric Green and Heath Miller, who else have we had at the position that could move, find holes in zones, and catch the ball consistently? I can't think of anyone. If we draft Amaro or Ebron, we will use them. It's just a matter of who else is on the board at the time that can provide more impact.

25. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    I didn't pay that close attention, but Aaron Colvin, CB #14 Oklahoma looked like he's got wheels. Had a great angle but showed what looked like amazing catch up speed on a long catch & run (I think 2nd quarter maybe). Projected as a possible 3rd round CB. I didn't pay close enough attention the rest of the game though as I was tired.