1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

general draft talk 2013-14 addition

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by mac daddyo, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I have to believe our pass blocking will be settled next year. Beachum is at least serviceable at LT. I think a real issue is run blocking. I would love a road grader at LG to get the run game going though.

Steelers have a lot of holes, especially if they can't afford to keep our UFA's.

• I would like a Derrick Johnson type ILB.
    • We need another Safety.
    • I would love a tall WR or TE that causes mismatches.
    • Mclendon is good, but if a future Casey Hampton is in the draft you have to take him.
    • If Worlids, Keisel, and Ziggy aren't resigned we will need replacements for them.

2. GB_Steel

GB_Steel Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    I'd be stoked if we ended up with Joyner. I think he's an impact defender at he DB spot.

If Greg Robinson comes out, I think he's my new #1 (LT, Auburn). Possibly the best run blocker in the country. One way to increase pass protection is to get better running the ball. He dominated Mizzou. One thing is for certain, if we seriously want to upgrade our LT spot for good, this is our year to do it with A LOT of quality players coming out.

3. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I have heard he will declare. at least us bama fans hope so.lol your right this is a deep year for lt. that is why I hope we can get one in round 2

4. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    Really warming to the idea of Kelvin Benjamin or Eric Ebron with our first pick. For some reason I don't think we invest another 1st into the OL, and the top-tier offensive juggernauts should be off the board by the time we pick (Watkins and Evans). I would love to go defense again but I am certain that we go offense. These two guys could be special, although I still like Greg Robinson.

5. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    do you prefer hebron than amaro ?

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have 2-2nd round picks at tackle and the late 7th rounder is starting at LT.
    we have an injured center back for one year. a 2nd injured center is a FA. the 3rd is also a FA. the other two C/G players (snow and olsen) are also FA's.
    the LG is fat and slow.
    the RG will be going into his 3rd year.
    the UDFA G. from last year is also coming off of a knee injury.

maybe they do draft a lineman? there are some good ones in this draft. maybe one of the tops in awhile. david yankey and travis swansen are very good players, that can play multiple positions very well. I see them weighing future and now money spending. if the draft pick is less than re-signing velasco or Wallace or even pouncey, they may take one of these top interior guys instead of a tackle in the first. yankey can play tackle too. if we could trade down, they would still be there. we need the picks.

with the way heath is coming back and spaeth healthy now, I'm not so certain we will draft one that high.

brown, wheaton, moye, brown in house, I guess wr could be a possibility, but I'm thinking later. it's a fairly deep talent pool at wr.

we could use another RB too. bell and nobody else under contract after the season. with him out we are not near as good. we also have to replace kick returners too. not sure how high they will draft for one of these. carlos would be awesome. never gonna happen. LOL. we have holes though on offense. I agree it's the O's turn. :cool:

7. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    At this point, I do. I think Ebron is more Hernandez while Amaro is more Gronk. Both would be fine choices but I think Ebron could bring more to the offensive scheme.

8. GB_Steel

Oct 20, 2011
    I do think they will pick OL, but probably not with their first. There are so many talented OL this year that we could get a guy in the 2nd that may have gone in the 1st last year.

I think a WR/TE in the first would be an immediate luxury pick, but someone we can build our offense around, along with Bell, Decastro, and Brown as the aging vet of the bunch. I would be fine heading into the season as Brown, Brown, Moye, and Wheaton as our WR core, but would not cause a stir if we upgraded. Ben can make average WR's look better than they really are. I think WR might be nearly as deep as OL.

TE is a spot where right now I see few prospects, so if we want one this year we probably have to invest a high pick for him. Not sure what the 2015 draft class looks like.

As for RB, we should be able to bring back our FA's without much fuss and I'd be ok with that. So many holes everywhere else I'd hate to spend a pick on a depth position when we should have a cheap solution in place.

I think the only positions that we don't target are QB, RB and DL.

9. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    those BYU guys are having a good night in the bowl game. I sure like van noy. I like Sorensen the safety too. van noy makes things happen. he can play the right side or inside.:cool:

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I knew you'd be watching. :-D

I've liked what I've seen from him. I saw him playing some inside, which was nice.

11. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    i like van noy i saw he was sliding on some draft board i don't know why , which round do you think he will go ? we probably have to wait the combine

12. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    If the draft were tomorrow I'd guess late first to mid second.

13. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    My early wish list for our first three picks.

1st- Eric Ebron TE UNC
    - Athletic with soft hands and good body control. Would improve our passing game immediately IMO.

2nd- Kyle Van Noy LB BYU
    - Can play in or out. Extremely instinctive and closes with a burst. He'd be an excellent blitzer from anywhere at the LB position. Excellent in coverage.

3rd- Jordan Matthews WR Vandy
    - Just the type of big, strong WR we need. Compete's for the ball and uses his big frame to out-muscle DB's. Great hands.

14. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Matthews is one of my favorite WR prospects, though, I'd be surprised if he's around when we pick in the 3rd. May is a long way away, though.

15. numbah58

numbah58 Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Agreed.
    Although, I have a hunch he'll be running in the 4.65 range and will be somewhere in the top 70-85 prospects.

If he runs in the 4.5's he'll be long gone..

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that big TE from Washington looked pretty good too, freak. that's about the first I've paid attention to him.

yea I agree with you guys Matthews was on my radar last year. I thought he would come out. if he played anywhere else he would be right at the top of the list. I think he'll come in somewhere around van noy in the draft.

there are a lot of players I like near the end of the first and early to mid 2nd. that seems like the meat of the order. that's why I want to trade down and pick up draft picks. :cool:

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I saw bullough was suspended for the rose bowl. nothing has come out about what he did yet. I'd still take him though. I was reading that he's like a computer and he corrects the coaches in practice.

give me van noy, roby, bullough and tre boston in the draft somehow and I would be very happy adding that to this defense and making it better, smarter and faster.:cool:

18. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Now that would be a good draft, I like Van Noy he makes plays and Matthews is kind of underrated I think he's the all time leader in receptions in the SEC. Ebron is probably the top rated TE in the draft.

19. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011

20. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Remember guys we don't have a 3rd unless we get a comp pick for Wallace,but even then it would be at the end....

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    that's why I'm all for moving down if we can and gathering picks.:cool:

22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't gotten too far into my draft research, but I'm pretty sure that if rounds 1-3 end up this way, I'd be giving our draft an A regardless of what happens in rounds 4-7. All 3 of these guys can help as rookies.

23. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    trade down a few spots.
    break tradition since we are hurting on defense

van noy - gives you a playmaker at OLB able to play the right side. is also capable of moving inside at the same high level.
    roby - gives us speed and decent size as a corner
    fiedorowicz - big TE that is good in both receiving and blocking and a big target
    Wesley saunders - do it all lineman that's mobile and has started at C/G and tackle but is money at LT from the SEC.
    belue - good solid cb and we need depth. also an SEC corner from a good bama squad.
    exum - gives us that cb/s type guy that can go at a high level at either spot.
    ladarius perkins - a good solid RB to back up bell with some speed.

we could definitely mix and match and upgrade several spots but man we will be young at a few spots moving forward. something like this would fill a lot of holes.:cool:

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Mac, I agree that this would be a good year to trade down if the opportunity arises. However, I wouldn't want to make a move until we're on the clock. You never know who may drop into our laps. For example, based on what little study I've done to date I would rather take either Evans or Ebron (or any one of 3 or 4 tackles) instead of trading down. However, my guess is that those guys all go off the board before we pick.

25. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    if they extend heath, which I think they have already done, I just don't see TE in the first, to play 2nd fiddle to a 1st already here for several more years.

we have a 6-5 TE. a 6-7 TE. a 6-3 WR. a 6-5 WR. all of which are still with us and should be healthy going into next season and beyond. TE is fairly deep this year and I don't think ebron is that much better than some of the others later. they are all fairly at the same level.:cool: