1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Garrett and Allen On The Same Team? It Is Possible.

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by AskQuestionsLater, Jan 13, 2017.

1. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    I understand that, currently, Cleveland definitely needs pieces to fix a severely broken puzzle. One of those fixes is Myles Garrett. Widely viewed to be what Jadeveon Clowney should have been, this guy has the makings of an All Pro, multi year Pro Bowler.

As for Johnathan Allen on the interior, his mere presence alone solves a bevy of issues for their front seven. From run defense to boosted pass rush along the inside, Johnathan Allen truly brings his own set of problems.

However guys, today I wanted to talk about a possibility that is seemingly more likely to me by the day; a possible trade for Cleveland to nab the top two picks in the draft. Most will say this is crazy talk but here is a closer look at Cleveland's draft capital.

Two first round picks (their own and Phillys one at 12).

Two second round picks (their own and Titans one at 52).

Two second round picks in 2018 (their own and Philidelphia's).

Again, this is quite important for a bevy of reasons. One, this gives someone like Paul DePodesta, a man who loves using "Moneyball" analytics, to weigh in his options. Given the fact that he can acquire a "Can't Miss Propsect" and the safest player in the draft in one fell swoop, I would not be surprised if DePodesta went this route. Maximizing your team on one side of the field can prove useful should all the tools be in place.

Besides, it is not like Cleveland still cannot get their future signal caller in the draft. Whomever that may be could be good enough for Cleveland to be competitive should Allen and Garrett live up to their draft billing. Now clearly this is quite a risky investment. Given the circumstances however, due to Cleveland's futility, it should not be foreclosed that such an idea would be non existent.

Either way, thoughts guys? Would Cleveland sell the barn to acquire two top shelf talents and boost their defense?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  2. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to do it, but I'd be shocked if they went through with it. They've got tons of holes and are probably going to stick with the "quantity" approach to draft picks.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i could see them going for garrett and hooker. this would help fix a defense quickly. :cool:

4. chitown steeler3

chitown steeler3 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2013
    Could this happen/work..... yes. Wouldn't be a bad move pending what they really had to give up.

Don't think San Fran is on the page of giving up a top pick though in this class unless they get a bounty like the Rams got way back when. Considering you already know that Cleveland already applies the "moneyball" approach I would give the odds of it happening less than 1%.

5. steel1031

steel1031 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I don't fear garrett. let him go there. he takes way to many plays off for me. allen on the other hand, I want him to either come to us or go far away to the nfc.

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Intriguing statement. You also state that Garrett takes plays off? Mind you Dan Skipper of Arkansas had committed a cheap-shot on his ankle. Prior to that, he was a demon to deal with.

I will agree with you on this one though. Johnathan Allen may be one spot lower on my draft board but that is to change should he blow up the combine like I believe he will.

7. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    I saw Garrett in person. Once the game was out of hand not in a&m favor, he was getting handled. I don't mean he is gonna be a complete bust or anything. I just don't see a dominating player

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    It doesn't matter if the Browns get both of them, they don't have a QB. Where was Jonathan Allen when Deshaun Watson was winning the game for Clemson?

9. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    gased. I mean 99 plays and allen was out there for 70 of them. that loss was on the offense not the defense. they couldn't block him in the first half when Watson was getting hammered

10. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Well Bama has all that depth, maybe Saban should've been substituting his players on defense :shrug:.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Perhaps getting double teamed considering he commands so much attention?

12. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    not on dllne. they were thin there this year.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Read my post above.

Johnathan Allen commands attention.

14. steel1031

Oct 16, 2011
    well I was responding to steelersrule, but he does get doubled some but not much. its hard to double him with tim Williams and ryan Anderson who also will be first rounders.

15. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

You are right. You cannot commit all your resources and man power on one player.

However, a defensive tackle like Johnathan is the key for a successful 4-3 defense. Even superb pass rushers like Danielle Hunter need to have some form of assistance. If a player like Linval Joseph does not command attention the way he does, Danielle may not get as many sacks.

Some people have the counter-argument of using teams like Jacksonville due to their pass rushers getting production. I find such claims false as Fowler Jr. was essentially singled out in almost every game he played; Yannick Ngakoue the same. Malik Jackson is good but Allen is a game altering level player.

If anything, of the teams that would benefit from Allen's presence, Jacksonville is by far and away the best case option. With him, Fowler Jr. and Ngakoue, that line is going to cause fits and that is not even including Malik Jackson either.

16. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    As others said, they still wouldn't have a QB :roflmao:

17. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Considering that Paul DePodesta now accounts heavily for "Moneyball" analytics in addition to the fact that Cleveland's QB success has truly been abysmal, Trading for two high end talents is not that cynical as some would believe.

Even now, as it stands currently, there really is no quarterback worthy of reaching with either of Cleveland's picks. If Cleveland wants to remain competitive, as I see it, nabbing to "CMP" talents is a sure fire foot on the right path.

18. SC Gamecock

SC Gamecock

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh I agree...just saying, regardless, they still won't have one...lol