1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Gameplan

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by DDinAZsteel1, Nov 7, 2011.

1. DDinAZsteel1

DDinAZsteel1 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I believe LeBeau when he says that the gameplan on D was to stop Ray Rice...at all costs. They did that for the most part. What he didn't say publicly is that to do that would require our best player (43) and our fastest cover LB (94) to basically both shadow Rice. Doing so exposed the safety help (43 was at the LOS all day) and really put our avg (or below avg) CB's on an island against a huge and very talented WR in Boldin and a much speedier WR in SMith. Essentially LeBeau was saying w/out doing so publicly, "Hey Flacco, you really haven't had much success against us in the past and I think game #1 this yr was a fluke. I don't believe you can beat us."

Unfortunately, he did. Them singing Boldin was the biggest free agent move they have made in the last 5 yrs, easily. I suspected he would kill us when they got him and he has. Ike can't and doesn't physically match up. Boldin is a bad ass and he pretty much owns our secondary. When we see them again at their place in January we had better have a way to keep secondary help over the top AND be able to control Rice at the line. Tuff task for anyone but this is exaclty why Harbaugh has said for the past 18 months that they believe they now have the right personnel in Balt to consistenly beat the Steelers. They do and is sucks.

2. nitrous12

nitrous12 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    We have had their number for the most part over the past few years. We have never always beaten them, but luckily we have beaten them in the big games that really count in recent playoff matchups. They are built to compete with any team and for some reason always find a way to play well against us. In other words, much like our year has gone they have shown inconsistancy...but that never seems to rear its head in games against us where...well recall week 1 :eek:
    They beat us at home last year much like they did last night and they could have easily won the other two games, but we somehow found a way in those. This rivalry looks poised to remain a back and forth chess match for years to come.

3. freakfontana

freakfontana

Oct 19, 2011
    dennis pitta was a nightmare too :blackeye:

4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Their TE's and #3 and #4 receivers were really open on their last few drives. I think on that last drive you need to take the emphasis off Rice and let TImmons try to pick off an underneath pass.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers did what most organizations would do. They did shut
    down Baltimores best players. Ray Rice and T. Suggs and Nata. They made
    Joe Flacco beat us and he did. I will take my chances everytime doing this.

6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    :this!:
    I'll be honest, I hadn't really heard of Pitta before this game...

7. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I would not get too worried about this loss. We are missing some key players (esp. Woodley and Sanders, and even Farrior). Take away the terrible INT down in the redzone and we very likely have a much different game. If we get a TD there, who knows, and even a FG really changes things at that time.

Harrison was a monster on D all day and if you put Woodley in there as well, I see Flacco getting pressured much more and proablay 2 more sacks.

I also really liked the way our Oline played. It was obvious to me that Ben was not used to this in the first half -- he seemed jittery and wanting to peak over his shoulder alot and rushed things a few times unnecessarily. Starks and Gilbert kept Suggs off Ben and Ngata was kept in check as well. Good job there. Ben looked much better once he realized the line was actually protecing him.

Flacco played one of his best games again -- but he will not always do that. Rice was kept in check. Overall Ben had better stats than Flacco, Mendy had better stats than Rice (I think he was running well and should have had a few more carriess), Brown had better stats than Boldin, and Harrison had the best defensive effort.

Boldin is a super physical big receiver who creates a matchup problem for any DB in the league. I am fairly certain that the Ravens have adopted a new plan to try and take advantage of the way the officials call PI now-a-days. Their entire comback last week was predicated on the PI call and their 2 TDs this game were also due to PI calls (though the last on he caught it anyway). They have figured that the long ball towad the corner on either side is a very safe play that OFTEN results in PI and they are employing that. I really think that is what Hairball meant when he said at the half something to the effect that they were going to test our corners.

8. RobVos

RobVos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I was annoyed at the beginning when we did not take the ball first. In past years when our D was totally carrying the team, yea. But our Offense can be very good and I would have taken the ball first. especially since often in the first half you will get it at the end as well.

9. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Torey Smith is a real deal deep ball threat. If Lebeau didn't scheme for it than it was an oversight on his part.

10. harristotle

harristotle Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Wallace is a real deal deep threat. Smith has a little ways to go. He dropped a couple deep balls, and I've seen him drop those same balls in other games as well.