1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game Planning with Ben

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Jan 20, 2012.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok so now that the FIRE BA era is over we can begin discussions of a different sort and hopefully they will be engaging just like the BA ones. Here is my attempt to get that started.

Judging by Mr. Rooney's comments he would like to see Ben change some of the aspect of his game without actually changing who he is. One of the statements by Bruce Arains with regard to how he game planned for Ben as opposed to say Charlie Batch was to let Ben do what it is he is good at. Right or wrong it often led to the appearance that they were winging it with no real plan. There have been many comments on trying not to change Ben and how many fans love the way he plays. So here is my question for discussion.

Does anyone think it is impossible to develop game plans that are tailored to what Ben does well, such as extending the play, improvising, just being a tough SOB to bring down and still have them work with in the confines of a solid game plan? In other words can you make him see the wisdom of sticking with a plan that will still allow him to create and play his type of game but limits the abuse that he takes year in and year out. Can they get him to look at it as not smothering his talent but trying to improve the team as a whole and by doing so allowing him to create from the plan?

2. bigplaywillygay

bigplaywillygay Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    The answer is yes. Ben is good at extending the play which usually means throwing on the run. He is one of the better Qbs in the league at throwing on the run. Also play action, I'd say in Bens first 2 years they heavily used playaction and the combination of PA and designed rollouts (throwing on the run) is the strongest gameplan you can make for Ben. Of course this means to setup PA you need to run and use RB screens but thats a different topic.

3. DSteelerCT

DSteelerCT Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    And when he can't extend the play, like the last 3 games, well...

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i think ben needs to use that talent he has of making things happen as just a tool in his game and not thinking he has to do it all. let's face it the o-line has thier backs to him and when they take their man one way or another, they don't know where ben is and sometimes he runs into the defender. that's going to happen if he holds the ball and tries to extend plays. that's ok to a limit. we need linemen that can hold their own, create a pocket for him to play from and not be beaten off the snap, walked back into him or chase their man back to the qb. they also have to be good run blockers. if ben has that pocket, he can make the throws, when that pocket breaks down then he can do his thing. his thing can only be done for so long though, before he gets into trouble. that has to be taught to ben. they have to get that count in his head. ben will have to become accurate and trust what he see's quickly. that's the part of his game that needs fixing. use his ability as a tool and not as an offensive scheme. ben has to work and buy into it for it to work. :cool:

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    That is why I prefer a gameplan that doesn't put all the focus on one aspect of the offense such as making Ben the "MAN" because it can backfire if he is hurt or playing bad. However I would like to see him still be allowed the freedom to create play just within the frame work of an overall game plan.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I got ya Thorn....Sorry but it's going to be Groundhog's Day again.....

Use the PA pass....

Design runs that have pass options...

Use the RB'S and TE'S in the passing game...Develop some good RB screens...

Design shorter routes on all pass trees .....Coach Ben to hit those early and often....

Design simple roll the pocket routes off of PA.....Get Ben on the edge against DB'S,with Drag routes coming his way along with using the speed on deep slants and such also coming his way....

Teach Ben the art of the play fake like Brady and Rogers do....Stick the ball in there and look down into the RB'S pocket as if you are really running the ball...Of course off of runs you have already called....

Use more 2 RB sets let them help Ben with the 1st. free blitzers,,,,,,do this both ways by throwing to the RB'S and using both RB'S to potenially attack the LOS.....This gives the D fits and limits the amount of Heat and the type of Heat that can come....One simple play the FB dive combined with the FB fake/pitch can and will stop 2 rushers and give Ben the edge behind the Pitch RB...

I could go on ,but I will save some....The Bottom line is ther is TONS and TONS we can and should have been doing.....Against different Teams and against differnt sets and situations should dictate which way is best.....We will now have a OC who will practice this and develop multiple plans for each game.....I got clowned on the other board when I stated even our HS Team goes into a game with 4 or 5 different plans each week.....From those you have 10 or so diiferent adjustments on each play you can make that you have actually practiced.....So even if you have 5 running plays and 5 passing plays from each different set with 20 built in tweaks,,,thats like having a script of 400 plays, because all can be ran and blocked diffrently....If a HS Team can grasp that knowledge and believe me they do then our O must be willing and able as well....

I know to some who have never coached that seems high ,but it really isn't......Tht's why you have position Coaches to change the schemes from certain positions during the game and to Coach them on recognizing what they are seeing on the field....That's how you make adjustments and most times the players know what adjustments can be made because they had those looks in practice.......

The bottom line is you can't waste valuable time on the scramble drill,,,you must take what you feel you do best and take what the opponents D does best and devise those multiple plans and possible looks that match the Tapes....This is the very reason BA was no good he didn't even try to do it right...

7. mdbates2

mdbates2 Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    I've never understood why they didn't use more designed roll-outs, etc. Those kinds of plays can often help to make up for a shaky offensive line and when Ben is healthy, rollout plays can help receivers to get open. Opposing DBs would have to account for the possibility of Ben taking off with the ball, going deep, throwing underneath, etc. Don't know. Seems like a no-brainer to me. I guess that's why I'm not named Bruce Arians.... errrrrrrr...... Whomever the new guy will be.

8. grahamburgher

grahamburgher Active Member

Nov 9, 2011
    +1 here.. always seemed like an obvious thing to do.
    Play-action would also help.. A LOT.. especially if done properly. In the rare instances where we use play-action, we end up half-assing our fakes anyway, completely eliminating their purpose.
    We should also exploit the TE. Heath could've been Gronkowski/Davis before those guys even came into the league.

9. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I always thought they should do more roll outs too but I'm guessing Ben must not be too comfortable with it since BA tailored the playbook to what Ben likes. Going to be an interesting year next season.

10. Bleedsteel

Bleedsteel

Oct 16, 2011
    PWP... Didjya get that college job you were looking for?
    Not being sarcastic. Honestly. (If I was, I would use all the available emoticons to designate it as such...)
    I just can`t understand, how, when you break it down, and make sense of it all,
    Our head honchos in charge, can`t do the same!
    Hopefully we will next year!
    I would be happy to nominate you, if the postion is still available, and you aren`t currently employed... ;)
    I am extremely optimistic, and excited to see what we can do next season, with a REAL o.c.!!!!

11. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    fIRST YOU FIND A PILE OF DIRT, STICK AND SOME ROCKS,
    AND BEN WILL DIAGRAM IT FROM HERE, IT WORKED IN HIGH SCHOOL, WHY NOT HERE?

JUST KIDDDING, BEN COULD BE SO MUCH MORE WITH THE PROPER
    TUTELIDGE. HE IS AN ELITE QB THAT NEEDS HELP AND GUIDANCE.
    HOPEFULLY THE NEW OC CAN BRING THIS AND SO MUCH MORE. YOU DON'T HAVE
    TO BE A STAT MONGER TO BE SUCCESFUL. WINNING SUPERBOWLS WILL DO JUST FINE.