1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones, part 2??

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by steel machine, Jun 1, 2022.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I hated them taking Jamies hand in the book , and show. I would tell You more about the red wedding, but if You are reading it....I don't want 2 spoil it for You.

2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I think the new Queen is turning me on. That chick got balls.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    I mean... if that's what you're into... :whistley:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Can't get ever the fact that the smoking, drinking kicker in The Replacements is the Hand Of The King.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I watched the 1st three episodes....:shrug:
    In all My readings I've never heard of a black Valyrian.....not a big deal for a non fan of the books, but it took Me by surprise.
    My biggest problem is if You were going back in time to show earlier history.....I would have liked it way before this.....Like maybe the doom of Valyria

6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm still hoping we may one day get a show or movie set during the Age of Dragons, or the Doom.

As for, shall we say, darker skinned Valyrians. Judging by geography, I'm surprised there's any white ones. ;) At the very least, you'd expected them to be medium bronzed.

I'm being tongue in cheek there. Clearly, Valyria is inspired by the legends of Atlantis (Greek/Mediterranean/possibly North African or Middle East). And based on it's being pretty much on the equator in southern Essos, you could reasonably expect darker tones. Black? Who knows? Other than silver hair and purple eyes, GRRM never really describes Valyrians other than the Targaryans. So anything is possible.

But for practical purposes, having POC play the Valaryons gives the casual viewer an easy way to distinguish who is who. There's enough characters already without trying to figure out which ones are House Targaryan and which are House Valaryon (since otherwise they'd look largely alike). Especially as they keep replacing characters with the time jumps. You and I could. But the average viewer? At least until we get the Greens and Blacks and different lines are drawn. It also will make certain parentage glaringly obvious.

It doesn't bother me. I'm more bothered that NONE OF THEM HAVE PURPLE EYES!!!! ;)

He's killing it. And, well,
    he's no longer Hand now...

I can't believe the goofiest looking Dr. Who ever is Daemon.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  7. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Are you one of those people that got their panties in a wad over Halle Berry playing The Little Mermaid?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. No .....I never seen it. LoL.
    Although I'm a person that reads every single day, and If something I read is described by the Author one way.....especially something I really like.....I want them to be that way.
    Example: I was a huge fan of Blade the Vampire hunter.....so if they'd cast Him as anything other than a Black Man .....I'd have been Highly pissed, but luckily W. Snipes got the role.
    I have No problem with any people playing any roles......, but if I read, and enjoy something for many years, and all of a sudden the character is not who I grew 2 enjoy.....Yes it bothers Me. LoL :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    See the purple eyes also still bothers Me.
    I just like people 2 be how they are described in the books, and not once did I hear of a dark skin, and non purple eye Valyrian. That's all....nothing more.....there were plenty of darker skin people in the books all over the kingdom....just never a Valyrian. Hell I was also pissed about the Lannister House in GOT didn't look like I expected from the books description .....LoL.

10. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I didn’t even realize that was him. Damn he’s good!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Just got caught up tonight. This show is getting good.:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    (Leaving everything intentionally vague as hell)

A friend of mine that knows nothing about Westeros history, or this specific story is telling me about how much he likes this character. Thinks that character is a good person. And another character is probably going to <insert theory>.

And my response was :sneak::bitetongue::whistley:

He's like, what? What part am I wrong about?

Ummmm... almost all of it. Rule #1: there ARE NO "good guys." Oh, there may be characters you'll root for, or even like. But they won't be "good." (Like, say, Daemon. GREAT character. Fun character even. So easy to get behind. But chaotic neutral at best, to downright evil at worst) They're all horrible people in one way or another. And many of them are sympathetic or even heroic at other times. But if you're looking for a Saint, you're not going to find one.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    :lolol:
    Loving Daemon’s character. Dude needs a stand alone series.

The green Hightower beacon was an interesting twist. Looks like we’re about to get a huge time jump next week.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am waiting on the Big Dragon episode that will answer all my questions. Where are they kept, how are they fed, is their 1 master Momma Dragon producing all the eggs, and how long do they live. Do they belong to any one person, and that person passes them down from generation to generation? And finally how many are there of them? Did they go the way of the 2 Hump Camels and become extinct slowly, or were they all killed off in the coming Civil War?

I read the Dunk and Egg adventures which take place after House of Dragon, so I know there is a major Civil War coming as everyone always identifies themselves as to what side of the war they were on.

Keep in mind that Dunk and Egg takes place roughly 90 years before Games of Thrones and 100 year after House of Dragon.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Was that worth reading, and I don't mean because it part of the world, but was it as good as the other books???

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Dunk and Egg stories are good. More short story format than novel. And they give you just enough background color to put later events into perspective.

"Egg? Egg? I dreamed I was old!" Maester Aemon's last words. Same Egg. ;) Aemon's younger brother, Aegon V. (Aemon really was OLD)

Dunk is Ser Duncan the Tall. Eventually Lord Commander of the King's Guard, but not yet in the stories. Starts out as a no name hedge knight (who wasn't even actually knighted). One of Bran's favorite heroes ("You always liked my stories of Ser Duncan the Tall"). And popular fan theories have him as Hodor and/or Brienne's grandfather or great grandfather.

The Civil War Brice is talking about is the Blackfyre Rebellion. Not the Dance of Dragons (which the show will be about). The Blackfyre Rebellion came later.

Most of them are kept in the Dragon Pit in King's Landing. Some roam free. They're fed livestock, or whatever they prey on when roaming... and the bodies of fallen enemies.

From what I understand, most of the (female?) dragons can lay eggs. They can live for centuries. The large dragon skull you keep seeing? Notice there's still flesh on it the rats chew on? He died relatively recently. He was Viserys' dragon, Balerion the Black Dread. The oldest and largest of all the Targaryan dragons. He was already centuries old when Aegon the Conqueror first came to Westeros. Note: he isn't the largest known dragon. Some in the days of Valyria were much larger, and older. You may even see a wild one eventually on the show who's older and bigger. ;) No one knows how old they can get. What we do know is they never stop growing.

Dragons will only accept one rider at a time. Once they bond to a rider, they won't accept another until after that rider dies. There's currently one of the original 3 dragons that came with Aegon a century ago still alive. Vhagar, who is the largest the Targaryans currently possess. You'll see Vhagar soon enough. There's no rider at this time for Vhagar... yet. Not everyone with Valyrian (or even Targaryan) blood can ride a dragon. But no one without that blood can.

I'm not sure how many are alive at the time of where the show is now. More than you've seen, but not sure the number. Right now, there's only 4 known dragon riders though. That will soon change. And there'll be a good number of dragons born over the next few years.

By the time of Game of Thrones, the dragons are thought to be extinct. Everywhere in the world (although there's rumors some still live in Asshai). Yes, a good number of them will die in the upcoming conflict. And something mysterious happens after because they don't seem to grow as large, nor seem as healthy. Their numbers and strength slowly decline until they're all gone. The last of the dragons were little bigger than dogs. There's a lot of theories as to why that happened, and HOTD may or may not add fuel to those theories.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Thanks. I will definitely get it then. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Wow thanks for all the information.

I enjoyed the Dunk and Egg short stories in the "A knight of the Seven Kingdoms" Kindle book. It is a fun read and puts you back in the A Song of Ice and Fire world. Dunk and Egg are nice characters who you want to root for. I read this on my phone which is something I never do, preferring the old paper editions, but it was a light read and I enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 3
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is going out to anyone that reads this type of stuff. Includes You also @Ray D
    You Guys should checkout David Gemmell. Many authors have borrowed from this Guy. I also got into GRRM through Him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Love his Influences: How can it get any better than those 3 people?

Do you recommend starting with the Legend book?

upload_2022-9-23_10-53-19.png

21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    No definitely No.
    Most people would say Yes since that was His 1st book, but in order of the Drenai saga I would start at Waylander. I believe He didn't know the success of Legend which is good, but it puts You about the in the middle of the Drenai Saga. You could always try a stand alone book like Dark Moon, or Morning Star.....just 2 see if You like Him before starting one of His series.

• Like Like x 1
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Show is OK. The guy that plays the King is tough for me to wrap my head around. Thinking along the lines of G.O.T he's a wimp. Love me some Princess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Then he's nailing his role. Viserys is SUPPOSED to be an indecisive, milquetoast, oaf. Nice guy. Terrible king.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have 2 say Doctor Who is the driving force of the show for Me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Kind of a difficult episode to watch. Not that it was bad, but it was almost like starting a completely different series with all the recasting and different characters.

• Agree Agree x 3