1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Haha! New hearts being broken every day. :roflmao:

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
  3. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    Anyone in the process of reading the books? I'm about halfway through book 4, and I gotta say... it's a snoozefest so far compared to the first 3 (mostly because none of my favorite characters appear in it).

4. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I have about 2 chapters left in book 5. Book 4 is very different from the first few books, and from book 5. It was somewhat difficult to get through at times earlier on, because there's a disconnect from the first few books, and the style is a little different as well. If your halfway through, it should start picking up soon. :thumbs_up:

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Book 4 is the weakest of the 5.

I take that back. It's really not. It just doesn't have the driving force the other 4 have. It's more of a narrative.

When you re-read the books (and you will ;)), you'll find book 4 is much better when you factor book 5 into it. The first 40% or so of book 5 runs concurrent with the time-line of book 4 and sews the threads together. It no longer feels so disjointed.

A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons were intended to be one book. But they couldn't possibly publish a book 1800 pages long or longer. So they had to break it in half. GRRM made the choice to split it up by characters rather than just ending the book mid-way because some of the characters left out of book 4 weren't done to his liking. He also didn't want to leave fans hanging in a way he didn't intend (cliffhangers are ok if you intend them. Not so much if it just stops).

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Here's an extended season 3 trailer. It's the same one Ray posted, but has a little more added.

[video=youtube;C1pbtBX9Kok]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=C1pbtBX9Kok[/video]

7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The Bear and the Maiden Fair! :D

(And if I'm not mistaken, I think we saw a glimpse of Ygritte receiving "The Lord's Kiss." Ick to the euphimism, but yay! to the scene.)

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    This was too awesome not to share.

[video=youtube;dXjcJGGmJ9A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXjcJGGmJ9A[/video]

9. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I only recognized 3, maybe 4 of those clips. Apparently, he's been in many more films than I was aware of...

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    New trailer. Nothing Earth shattering, but a few extra glimpses of things to come...

[video=youtube;wfSXhMzWoA4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfSXhMzWoA4[/video]

11. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    ROFL! This is brilliant. :lolol:

[video=youtube;AFOXCfoKO1k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFOXCfoKO1k&feature=player_embedded[/video]

That last line takes on a whole new meaning. :innocent:

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I can't wait for 3/31!

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    That was great. :applaud: :-D

Only two more weeks...

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    And yet another new trailer. This one with new glimpses of quite a few things. Our first look at Daario Nahaeris. Tormund speaks. The direwolves look great. Beric v Hound. Jorah going into badass mode.

Someone getting thumb screws. A longer look at a hooded man chained to a cross from previous trailers?. I wonder who this could be? ...rhymes with weak? ;)

Dany looking extra gorgeous this year. I do believe that last shot is after her next use of the word "Dracarys." (geekgasm)

Not sure who that lovely young thing is having her dress (corset? from the front?) laced up they show briefly. A certain Frey girl? Kyra? (that would be hard to watch) Jeyne Poole?

Anyway, here it is:

[video=youtube;R4XSeW4B5Rg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4XSeW4B5Rg[/video]

15. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    OK. First, let me get this out of the way....

[​IMG]

16. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    The first trailers I saw, I was foolishly thinking the man with the hood was at Dragonstone, but that wouldn't make sense. I think you must be right that it rhymes with squeak.

I think that could very well be a Frey girl getting disrobed. I saw a brief glimpse of Bran, Hodor, and co. in the castle kitchen, too. :rawk:

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We have a House of our own. :D

[​IMG]

18. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    LOL, that's awesome! Raise the banners...:herewego:

19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hard for me to discuss without going into book spoilers. They made quite a few alterations (ALREADY) to the book. Most of them I can live with and understand. 1 or 2 of them really irritate me.

And for Rh'llor's sake! Can they PLEASE explain to the viewing audience for ONCE the difference between a wight and a White Walker? Non-readers are really being left out to dry with this lack of explanation, and they'll only be more confused in the future if this isn't made clear soon.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh, and this being the internet and all, the obligatory...

[​IMG]

22. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Has the show ever referred to "The Others" as The Others?

I'm going to shoot you a pm, because I'd like to hear the one or two things that really irritate you. :popcorn::-D

23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    No. They have used the expression "Other's take..." but no explanation of who the "Others" are.

Another lack of explanation there.

I could talk about my beefs here, but I'm refraining for now just in case they use what was missing later.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Totally. However, I did read that it was also announced that Val Kilmer will be taking over the role of Jaime Lannister.

[​IMG]