1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Book readers after the last few episodes who know what's coming:

277518d.jpg

I'll argue only the first 4 seasons really count:

ea7054a.jpg

2. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    To be clear, the above posts are not out of anger. I'll watch to the end obviously. Why not?

It's more a mood of bewildered amusement.

3. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd argue the office took a turn as well when Carell pulled his off the show stunt. The parade of replacements were cringe worthy.

4. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I mean her dying isn't even a gut punch, because they didn't really make her "that" important in the grand scheme of things. Just a haphazard way of generating motivation for doing something stupid.

Considering how accurate the ship ballistae (apparently that's the plural of Ballista) were, there's no way she can make a dent in the city defenses as it currently stands.

At least they mentioned Dorne in all of this.

How is Euron hiding his massive fleet and surprising everyone? This is literally his go to maneuver!

The Greyjoy fleet doesn't have picket ships or scouts to check the way before committing every ship to a course of action?

She couldn't see masts while flying that high?

They left no force in Dragonstone that could have alerted them to a fleet hiding around a corner?

5. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    If you're looking for logic and consistency, you've come to the wrong place.

88e70e7.png a493980.png

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    c8a2650.jpg b039900.jpg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    That episode was a bit of a hot mess. I have lots of complaints. Not complaints about which direction they've gone or whom they have or haven't included etc, just basic storytelling, directing, and editing complaints. I don't give a **** how much you spend on CGI for dragons, just give me a coherent ****ing episode. They should be embarrassed.

Truly one on every damn corner. :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Yeah, It's clear that DnD are mailing this one in., I still can't over how you can't see ships when you have a 10,000 foot advantage on a clear day. Would it have been too hard to throw some fog in there? I could have swallowed that down a little easier. Also, based on how the ballistas are set on the front of the ship. Why not just circle around and attack them from behind? I mean there are some obviously failures in logic here!

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    Also, the whole episode is making it sound like Danny taking over KL is a foregone conclusion. It's keeping the people alive that will be tricky. How So? From what I am seeing, Cercei clearly has the advantage here. Danny's forces are depleated, tired and are on the wrong side of that wall.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    What a mess that episode was :facepalm:

“I’ll have a Dornish red, and my friend will have a grande no-foam frappamochachino with three splendas, hold the storyline”

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    You would think they'd figure out that his go to move is the ambush.

Why doesn't he pick off all the survivors? He manages to get in and take one semi-important person, but doesn't even blockade them on the island?

I'm pretty sure he's going to figure out that it's not his child she's carrying and he might be the one to kill Cersei as he's also a "Younger Brother" .

12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Aaron Rodgers is apparently in this weeks episode.....as if we didn't need any more disappointment.

13. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Emilia Clark was on Jimmy Kimmel last week. When he said that episode 3 must have been the really big episode considering how long they filmed it and how much was happening, she said nope. Episode 5. He asked her, "really?" And she said "Find the biggest TV you can." She seemed really certain that this was THE episode.

Now, I'm assuming she means in terms of sheer spectacle. The plot is already off the rails. So I'm going to try to just turn my brain off. All bets are off once it's over though. ;)

14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I saw a post on Reddit that I think is the perfect theory as to what's happening with the show, and how to view it without losing your mind.

Paraphrasing somewhat, maybe expanding on the premise (Can't find the quote ATM):

The Books and the show both exist in the same universe. Both are versions of the events that happened as told a couple generations later.

The books are written by Maesters (Sam) with meticulous detail and an effort to get everything as accurate as possible.

The show is the story as told by your alcoholic uncle. He starts telling the story completely sober, but is drinking heavily. Season 4, he's feeling the effects and occasionally stumbles on some points. By season 5, he's drunk. Season 6, he's 3 sheets to the wind. By season 7 he's completely tanked. And season 8, he's drooling, slurring incomprehensibly, half passed out and can't remember what he just said.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    This is absolutely perfect. :applaud:

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I wish I could take credit, but someone more creative than I wrote the original post. I also wish I could give him/ her credit, but I lost the original post. I'll update if I come across it again.

17. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ah. Here it is.

eaa566b.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I guess someone had to do it. LOL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Pre-game! I thought these 2 were fitting for tonight.

I always wondered why they gave the smokiest scotch to House Lannister. But I think that may make sense after Dany torches them tonight. ;) :lolol:

60030426_2781324598576857_2797545403724070912_o.jpg

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Oh. My. Old gods and new...

Every horrible leak I read was true.

And they're coming for Star Wars next... :frustrated:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    It’s funny.... the one thing that feels right to me is probably the thing that’s going to piss everyone else off the most. However, I just think the Dany storyline works. It makes sense to me. The rest was an overblown, over-explody Hollywood CGI fest. The USAF ain’t got nothing on a dragon.

22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'll politely disagree.

Not that Dany shouldn't become mad. That may very well be how she ends up in the books.

But that they EARNED her becoming mad. :bscow:

Dany snapping? Sure. But not this way. And I don't want to hear one person say "hurr durr, she was always showing signs of madness." Dany in the books (and show) has many faults. She's entitled. She's naive. She's easily influenced. But "cray cray?" No.

Every example someone states to prove she was mad the whole time is hypocritical as you can point to any supposed hero on the show and find the same action.

Don't focus on her burning people. She's executing them, and burning is her method. And she's executing them in a world where those executions were EARNED. It's not like she was killing people willy nilly out of paranoia or executing rashly out of a lack of sympathy. Betray her (aka, betray your king or queen) the sentence is death regardless the character. Hell, she showed mercy in instances where a sentence of death should be a foregone conclusion. And if her executing people for offenses that warrant death everywhere in that world is "madness," then they're all mad: Ned Stark, Jon Snow, Sansa, Arya, Stannis (don't get me started), Tyrion, Greyworm, Khal Drogo, Robert Baratheon, etc etc etc...

Yes, yes. She executed the Tarlys. She gave them a choice. She gave them an out. In that world, you don't allow your enemy to live if they won't yield. The one and only criticism here is she should have allowed them the choice to take the black.

She burned an old woman alive in season 1! You mean the witch who killed her baby and Drogo? Also inadvertently possibly helping hatch the dragon eggs?

She burned down the House of the Undying!! Ummm... the ones trying to steal her dragons and imprison her forever?

She killed all the slavers in Astapor! And we all cheered her for it. They had it coming.

Oh, but she crucified other slavers! Yes as retribution for their crucifying children. An eye for an eye, or punishment fitting the crime doesn't = madness.

But.. but.. she wanted to burn the Red Keep as soon as she got to Westeros! Yes. And there would have been far less loss of life than what we ended up getting. Especially since Cersei didn't have time to prepare. Tyrion burnt down half of King's Landing defending it against Stannis. Is he mad?

Until tonight, she always avoided killing innocents as much as possible. She used her dragons sparingly. She took the 3 Slaver's Bay cities with minimal bloodshed.

Not that any of this prevents her from becoming a mad queen. But the descent was too rapid. That whole "coin toss" thing was already mentioned, and decided she came down on the right side in both books and show. Now they throw it out there again to try to justify her going mad? :bscow: The problem is they rushed it and it seems way too forced.

And it's pointless that it ended up this way. They had PLENTY of time to sell it. But they got lazy and wanted to rush to the end. HBO even wanted more episodes (10 seasons).

lolngwa6vvx21.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  23. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    We'll just add Dany to a long list of characters Dumb and Dumber ruined, spit on, handled sloppily, or flat out gave character assassination:

Jaime: what was even his point?

Renly: hurr durr, I'm gay and want to be king.

Loras: LOL, I'm gay too! That's all you need to know.

Stannis: it's a crime how dirty they did him. Show Stannis has nothing in common with book Stannis except his name.

Shae: maybe it was just their choice of actress. But she was all wrong from the jump.

Arianne Martell: The most important character in Dorne, and they didn't even bother to put her in the show.

The Sand Snakes: if you were going to be this bad with them, why even bother including them?

Doran Martell: I sit in a wheelchair. That's my only defining characteristic. Oh, and I'm easily fooled. WTF???

Elaria Sand: maybe the only pacifist in the book turned into a blood thirsty harpy.

Yara Greyjoy: <gag> It's ASHA!!! But I guess it's fine they changed her name since they changed everything else about her. :frustrated:

Lady Stoneheart: New phone, who dis?

Littlefinger: Cunning, scheming, always 3 steps ahead, master manipulator. No one ever knows what he'll do or even what he wants. Instead on the show, announces his intentions to everyone and brags when he fools someone.

Maergery Tyrell: out with a whimper.

Strong Belwas: another new phone. Who dis?

Barristan Selmy: greatest swordsman in the realm. Reduced to fatherly figure who's bested by a couple street thugs with steak knives.

Victarion Greyjoy: oh, we never knew you.

Euron Greyjoy: Dark, sinister, possibly supernatural? Trained to be a Warlock. Reduced to a half baked pirate with a lusty mind.

The White Walkers: incredibly fast. Near impossible to kill. Control a force that can overwhelm the world and create a night that lasts a generation or longer. Suffers Death Star vulnerability.

ah2siue22wx21.jpg tz7mnd493wx21.jpg

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    HOLY @#$!!!!!!!

Please, please, please let this be true!!!! :beg::beg::beg:

(Already queued up to the relevant question. The actor who played Barristan Selmy at a convention just 2 weeks ago. Only takes a minute or 2)

(I swear I'll forgive the long wait, and even this craptacular last season if true)

25. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Agree with all that you said about the other characters Ray, but for Dany I think it makes sense. Did D&D do enough to show what was going on in her mind? Probably not. It needed to be a bit of a surprise for the non-book reading majority to give them their OMG moment. It all makes sense though. Without going into too much typing - all she ever wanted to was to overthrow the usurpers and be the beloved queen like she was in the East. Except, when she got to Westeros nobody loved her. She was just an outside invader with scary dragons. Instead of taking the throne quickly, she did the right thing and fought the threat from the North... and lost a child for it. She found love for the first time since Khal Drogo, but the people who love John never loved her. Hell, even after all of that they were still treating him like a king when he was still a bastard with no claim. At least he loved her, right? Whoops, not anymore. No nookie for auntie, she’s just auntie now. Now he’s the rightful king, and even though he claims he doesn’t want it, it’s going to pushed on him, and she’s going to be pushed out. Everybody is against her. She’s lost two of her three children fighting for these insolent Westerosi, and they don’t @#$&ing care. They love their own “bastard” hero, and she’s still the foreign invader. I knew she was going to go off the rails at the post-battle banquet in Winterfell. It wasn’t sudden to me at all because of all she’s lost, and all she had left to lose. “Let it be fear.”

I agree about everything you said about the other character arcs though.