1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    We're further than the books for almost all of the stories now. The Iron Islands story isn't quite caught up. But they're moving into that soon enough. The Great Northern Conspiracy is lagging behind.. if they even go into it and don't just simplify it into being a Starks thing. (Shame. I was hoping for pie. ;))

Top right. I have ZERO idea what that represents... unless they pulled a Glenn with Stannis too. His eyes are gone. Weird. But that's Selyse's reflection in his blade. Lightbringer and Nisa Nisa? Probably not. No clue.

Bottom left, if not HBO trolling, is about 3 seasons overdue.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    Hmm, I'm not convinced. There's a couple things about them that have me questioning their authenticity. Can I ask where they came from?

3. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    A man does not ask from where these teasers are procured.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Hmmm... upon closer inspection, I think you're right. Why is Jon Snow's fur in every poster?

This came from a fan site who linked to an article from a Spanish magazine. It's not even being discussed on any other site (most notably the 2 biggest: Watchers-on-the Wall and Winter-is-Coming), which indicates it's a fake.

Buzz Killer... :beee:

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, Jon Snow's fur was a tell. I won't get into how closely I inspected them, but there are twitter sigs in a couple of them that don't appear to be related to any official GOT accounts, too.

Whoever made them deserves some applause...just before they get their ass thoroughly kicked for teasing LSH. :club:

6. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
  7. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Starks: Ramsey. Straight from the Pink Letter.

Lannisters: High Sparrow.

Targaryan: I'm guessing Dothraki. Probably the Khalisaar that found Dany.

8. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
  9. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    [​IMG]

10. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Just over one month to go! Get hype!

11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Well, I used to look forward to all of the boobies on Game of Thrones. Now... not so much :shock:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Spoiler alert!

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Good to have GOT back. I'm glad I watched this on HBO Now and caught the writer's comments afterwards. I totally misunderstood what they were doing with Melisandre at the end of the show.

What did everyone think of Davos' long look at the blood stain in the snow? Any significance?

[​IMG]

14. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Was it her necklace that showed her in the form that was familiar to us? Is she going to use her powers/Lord of Light to reincarnate Jon Snow?

15. Fugitive60

Fugitive60 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Not sure you could pay me to watch it.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I doubt it's anything more than just, "that's a lot of blood. They really did a number on him. No one survives that." Maybe a bit of sadness and reflection as he seemed to have some respect and good will for Jon.

Book fans have speculated since ADWD that Melisandre is probably much, MUCH older than she appears. Some even wondered if she was even "alive." I guess the show confirmed it before the books could (which will happen quite frequently now).

The stuff at the wall was good. The Monty Python skit in Dothraki was entertaining.

The rest? Kind of a weak episode. And don't get me started on Dorne...

I contemplated not watching last year after the hatchet job they did to the story. I'm just watching now out of habit and an odd sense of obligation. I'm sure there will be some bits I'll love (Especially looking forward to
    The Tower of Joy
    ). Knowing that D&D know the endgame for the major players, I'll be interested to see where it all goes... if I also know that it'll be a glorified fan-fiction, Reader's Digest Abridged version of events. ;)

Some fearsome hounds Ramsey has... they disappeared at the first hint of struggle. :shrug:

17. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Lol, I wondered about the hounds too, Ray. Scared off by the horses maybe?

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Probably on the first question. Although they did have a continuity error if so as she was naked before without it on. Either way, her appearance is a glamour.

I took that whole scene to be an indication that she has lost her faith. In the books, we get a chance to get inside her head and she is a true believer. But she struggles with interpreting her visions very often. She's not wrong so much as mistaken... if that makes any sense. Even in the last book, she was questioning herself and her faith a little bit.

As to your last question...

That has been the prevailing thinking since ADWD. We know Red Priests can do just that... or maybe not all of them can. But seeing as how the story very often likes to throw curve balls, nothing can be taken for granted. I'll spoiler tag the rest of the answer. Not so much for big spoilers as we're on uncharted ground now. But speculation with a little book info included.

Melisandre, as you know, believes in a messiah prophecy within her religion. In the books, he's called "Azor Ahai." I don't remember if they ever used that name in the show. She truly believes Stannis is Azor Ahai. And the fight to come is VERY real in her mind. In the last book, she never left the Wall when Stannis marched south. She stayed at Castle Black (as did Selyse and Shireen... but that's another nit to pick). She senses something special about Jon Snow. He intrigues her. But she neever really gives it much thought other than a mild curiosity.

Staring into the flames, as she does, she's trying to see Stannis and how he fares on his campaign. She can't see him. She prays to R'hllor (The Lord of Light) for a vision of "him." But only see's a blizzard. She laments, "I ask the Lord of Light to see Azor Ahai, and all he shows me is Snow." ;)

She also has a vision of Jon being in danger and warns him of "daggers in the dark." Which, being Jon Snow, he ignores...

On the show, she says she clearly saw Jon in the flames fighting at Winterfell. But she's now doubting her visions. It's not her visions that are false. she just doesn't understand them. She also saw herself walking Winterfell's battlements with Bolton banners being torn down. Which she figured meant Stannis would win. But Stannis didn't win anything. So who did? ;)

Yeah. Jon's coming back. The how and why is still up for question.

19. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Nice summary Ray!

Yeah, i'm on the show for fan fiction as well. The Dorne scenes really ticked me off! why even introduce these great characters with so much backstory to just end it like that? Sand Snakes might be believable if they had cast them better and actually gave them lines that showed more intelligence than sexual deception. I just can't believe these are the fierce fighters daughters of Oberyn! We're so fierce all we can do is sneak you to win! If he goes that route in the book after what he's set-up, that will be horrible!

There's no way to rectify Littlefinger's plans due to the change in the series. (He's still creepy though)

Whole swaths of the magical happenings are totally left out.

Where's the Tully's? Where's Gendry? Rickon?

The wolves haven't been discussed in any meaningful way for a long time and that's a missed note through the story arcs! (the parallels GRRM makes with them are really good stuff!)

Oh and if she was going to tell them who she was anyway; Why did she drop the damn ring?

20. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Maybe so, and that seems like the logical story line. I actually was thinking that...
    Lady Mel wouldn't be able to do anything for them, and Jon Snow would be burnt on a pyre, where he arises from the flames with his sword of fire.
    Probably so. I can think of some fun Rorschach jokes, but I'll spare everyone.
    Ha, I thought that, too.
    I thought it was to act as a breadcrumb.

At this point we're into fanfic territory and I've come to embrace that. Also, Blood thirsty Lady Brienne is fun to watch.

21. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm always pretty hard on D&D. But here's the one time I'm going to show some sympathy for them:

This story is nearly impossible to adapt. Even with 80-100 hours of TV (whatever it ends up being when all is said and done). Just to make 10 hours a season, they're working year round. Obviously, things were going to have to be cut, or changed, or condensed. It's the nature of the beast. The first few seasons, the alterations were mostly understandable.

And I think when they had their summit with GRRM, and he laid out the long term story plan, they realized they may need 12 years or more to finish at their current rate. And they're just burned out. It's a long time to expect in that industry, especially at their "not a minute to waste" pace for production. So they probably decided, "right. What cuts can we make to get to the end faster and still keep the overall story intact as much as possible?" It's an understandable desire.

But that's where my sympathy ends.

They made some really awful cuts. And maybe to a casual viewer, it won't be noticed as much that elements of the story no longer make sense, or don't fit. But to many of us, it's beyond irritating. It's like ordering a gourmet meal at a 5 star restaurant, and the chef decides he's tired, so he just slaps some spam and eggs on your plate. Filling, sure. But nowhere near the expected experience.

It's like all they cared about was getting to the Red Wedding. And after that, they lost interest.

I always wanted to see Nymeria's wolf pack. I don't know that it's necessary to the ending, but it's a cool element. But doing it also may have been restrictive for special effects reasons.

They have hardly hinted even slightly that ALL of the Stark children (including Jon) have warg abilities.

They cut out Lady Stoneheart altogether.

They killed Barristan Selmy.

They butchered Stannis.

They destroyed Dorne.

Dorne.jpg

I don't have much faith that they'll get the Iron Islanders right. Especially since Victarion is the most interesting of them, and he's cut! Don't even get me started on Asha Yara...

We'll see Rickon again, probably this year. We know from filming they're going back to River Run this year, so the Tully's will be back. No idea if we ever see Gendry again, or if he's still rowing.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  22. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    New Honest Trailer for Game of Thrones (I think this is their 3rd one. Hidden because it kind of skirts the board's rules or edges way too closely to the line anyway):

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    OMG! I just thought of something that fits with what Doran said when he died!

What if they took Quinten away from being burned up in Mireen and made some BS about him being Dario? They were Sellswords in the book.....

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Since you tagged your question, I'll tag my answer. Even though neither is a spoiler. Just speculation.

Nah. I've been hearing for years various theories about Daario. He's secretly a Martell! He's secrectly Jaqen H'agar! He's Euron Greyjoy! He's Syrio! He's Benjen Stark!!! :)roflmao:)

I don't buy into any of them. It WOULD be interesting if he was the Harpy, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.

Despite some fan theories, I believe Quentyn was a dumbass who got himself burned to a crisp. And D&D spoiled us in a way by rendering Dorne moot.

25. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2