1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Game of Thrones (HBO) - Time to jump on board

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Ray D, Jan 18, 2012.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Going with Ray here. I'm really debating giving this show any more time. Really getting sick of the killing of innocent children and raping this show seems to want to go to when it's not necessary. The plot devices are right there in the source material without having to go where these guys are taking it. I'm starting to feel like the fan fiction element as well.

Drogon was way too small as well. The way he was pictured here is about the same as her other dragons.

Where did these Harpies get all this hand to hand combat training? They took out Selmy for this interpretation? I'm not getting the sense of what's really happening the way they've played this out.

2. TerribleTowelFlying

TerribleTowelFlying Staff Member Site Admin Mod Team

Oct 12, 2011
    I knew this was the spoiler you were referring to. I was shaking my head in disappointment, but wasn't surprised. I have no idea why they had Selyst act so upset. It was as out of character as Stannis burning his daughter at the stake.

Drogon was small. I'm not sure what that was about, other than perhaps getting a discount on a smaller CG dragon. Kidding. I assumed they made him smaller so Dany could get on his back in under 3 minutes, or to fit him in the shots of harpies throwing spears at him, and those spears meaning anything.

I've accepted that this is a fanfic adaption, but it doesn't stop me from looking over at my wife and frequently anger whispering "WTF?!"

3. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Actually same here. It is what it is.

But when they go way out of bounds, I'm still going to rant about it. ;)

Can't wait for the internet explosion next week... if they leave it as a cliff hanger. Otherwise, spoilers.

4. niterider

niterider Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2012
    I had not read the book, but I knew it was so against Stanis's character to burn his own daughter. I couldn't believe it. Then I figured melisandra had finally got to him and had turned him into an evil man similar to when anakin had turned into Darth Vader. ;) But now you guys confirmed it for me that this was not intended in the books. smh

5. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Oh, hell yeah. :)

6. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'm almost willing to believe she gets taken out later in the books. I'm not giving that with his troops stranded in a snowstorm and a guerrilla attack, he's done a complete 180 and decided...burn her! I can see if the Bolton's letter were true and he went back to where they were stashed and did it or his fanatic wife that keeps babies in jars decided to do it and he wasn't in time to stop it.

I just feel there's a little more story-telling that could be done instead of attempting to go for shock value scene to shock value scene. Some of the podcasts and blogs I read have decided not to continue covering the show. Feels like a dumbing down of the source material just for shock value sake!

7. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Meh, knew that had to happen as it only makes sense with Stanis and the "book spoiler".

Knew Jon was going to happen.....

Cersei was inevitable....

Arya, yep that's par for the course...

Why did they have to kill another young girl that isn't dead in the books? And why did we get that whole farce in Dorne for this crap? Hell, they could have had a few better characters in the riverlands over that and had all that crap happen offscreen! Someone on this writing staff is obsessed with killing young girls and babies.

8. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    My grandfather smoked almost 3 packs a day his entire life.

Even in his 80s, he didn't HACK as hard as these writers.

But onto the wrap up...

So, I guess the book's Pink Letter was... true? Or not and Stannis survives even book 6. But since these <HACK> er, excuse me... these writers are desperate to cut to the chase and end the show in 2 more seasons, they're killing people off willy nilly now. Either way, they admitted all the way back to season 2 that they didn't like Stannis as a character - and went to great lengths to ruin all that made him interesting in the books. Their coups de gras was the utter destruction of his character and a laugh out loud way of killing him off.

Why did they even include the Bland Fakes.... er, <HACK> excuse me. Why even include the Sand Snakes, or even Dorne for that matter if you're going to mess the story up THAT DAMNED BAD?!?!?! Kill Myrcella off? Ok, fine. Whatever. Don't really care and if the prophecy was correct, her days were numbered anyway. But what a cheesy way to do it. Tread carefully here... this will open plot holes up big enough to swallow an aurochs whole.

Arya? I'm cool with it. Odd how the closer they stay to the spirit of the books, the better the story plays out, huh?

Sansa and Theon are dead. I mean, they're not. Of course they're not. But would it kill them to show snow drifts 20 feet deep around the walls? That drop is DEATH! Hell, Myranda fell half that height! ROFL

Cersei... again, the closer you stay to the books, the better it plays out. Totally NOT Lena Heady's body, but good use of a double I suppose. (Come on, guys. We've all seen The 300. We know what her body looks like. LOL)

Dany. WTF? Just stick to the damned book!!!! Is it really that hard?

Elsewhere in off the rails Mereen... Nice to see you again, Varys. Shouldn't you be in King's Landing cranking up a crossbow??? ;) The rest? Meh.

And finally, For the Watch. We knew it was coming. The only question was how badly did they water it down? Par for the course. Weak sauce. And the most hilarious part is the full court press the show runners and even Kit Harrington are undertaking trying to convince us that's it. Dead is dead....

Right...

In the books, Selyse, Shireen and Melisandre STAY at the wall. You had them travel with Stannis anyway to unnecessarily kill 2 of them off way early. Fine, you're trying to whittle things down. Badly, but I get it. But you made damned sure to get Melisandre BACK to the wall ASAFP. What's more, you had her BOLT out of Stannis' camp like a shot as soon as she realized she was wrong the whole time. Sheesh! You even gave her a magic jetpack to make the SEVERAL HUNDRED MILE JOURNEY in what seems like an afternoon!

Obviously, you needed her in place. We know what Red Priests can do. Melisandre has no need to be at the Wall otherwise. Bad, cheap cliff hanger is bad.

This entire season has been dark and full of errors.

9. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ray, I'm with you with all those points. One thing, did it feel like they just took characters out just for shock value to mess with book readers, before getting around to semi-righting the timeline before shifting us to the Greyjoy's next season?

Love how it plays out that the best storyline is the one they played pretty close to the book as well. Hmm, you mean the source material had some really thought out character arcs and motivations? How does that happen?

Listening to some podcasts right now with people bringing up the jump as well. Why would it have been hard to just throw in a one liner so people would know what was happening in that scene?

10. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    I don't really know what to say about all of it. Your scathing recaps are more entertaining than the show itself, Ray.:lolol:

Funny tidbit...I sat on the remote right as Jaime was hugging Myrcella, and it changed the input to Bluray. By the time I fumbled around and got it switched back, the sand snakes were walking away. I'm like, 'hmm, Ok...' and my wife says, "Myrcella's dead". I asked her how she knew, and she said it was just predictable. We switched on HBO Go when it was over to watch the scene, and obviously she called it.

I'd like to hear everyone's take on the final moments shown of Jon Snow..without any possible book spoilers.

11. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Yeah, that scene was well done and coincidentally kept close to the book. I've never seen The 300, but I knew it wasn't her body. Good use of a body double and CGI.

12. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    There aren't any books spoilers for that now. It's all speculation at this point. ;)

13. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    True, true. :)

14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Ollie was child acting being child acting....moment was too drawn out for a tertiary character with Jon. Stab him already and say some crap about "for the watch" when you haven't taken any vows yet. Might as well have just said "for my family and the watch". That would have been more powerful and telling in his motivations.

Jon Snow is as good as resurrected. Like Ray said, it's in the ham-fisted way they had her show up at the wall right before this all happens. Books, she's already there, so it makes sense. Also, see how they made sure to introduce the new Kings Guard member in the same episode. There's no way to build to that conclusion since they cut out most of the river-lands stuff, but remember the outlaws Arya ran into in season 1-2? The show runners/writers are so full of themselves.

They linger on the eyes, probably because they had an argument on whether to show him connecting with Ghost or not, but that's all book speculation.

15. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    So, my take on the final two episodes:

:bscow::bscow::bscow::bscow::bscow::bscow:

I read the books. I'm not a book purist, and I didn't mind some of the deviations earlier this season. However, it's gone completely off the rails for me. As the ending credits started to roll I looked over at my wife and said "I may not even watch it next season" and I meant it. Perhaps by the time next season rolls around I'll be ready to give it a shot again, but I'm not going to miss it one bit between now and then.

16. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    I'm thinking I may not watch it either.

But if TWOW comes out first, maybe.

We'll see how bad I'm Jonesing by then. ;)

17. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Well that was a load of crap! What's with all the death cut scenes? They have never been shy to show someone killed yet they did it to Stanis, whose character they murdered. Can someone explain to me what the whole point of Dorne and the Sand Snakes was about? Nothing of substance came from that. What the hell happened to this show? At some moments you feel the tremendous amount of detail to the plot, and at other times (which seems to have picked up this season) they have become predictable and gearing their shows to the ADD masses. The only thing I didn't see coming was Jon Snow getting axed. But like a typical soap opera, Melisandra show sup at the perfect time. C'mon now, give me a break. I'm not 12.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
  19. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    OMG OMG OMG

[​IMG]

(I kinda <3 Ian McShane.)

Who was he in POTC? I don't even remember him in that. :eek:

20. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The last PoC movie. He was Black Beard.

I'm a huge fan of his too. With all of the remake craze going on in Hollywood, I often thought that sooner or later, they'd remake Jaws - which I'm firmly AGAINST. BUT, if they did, I'd be very ok with McShane playing Quint.

21. TerribleTowelFlying

Oct 12, 2011
    Ahh, thanks. I forgot all about that one. I never actually even saw the whole thing.

22. niterider

Jan 19, 2012
    Love McShane. Sucked that the show Kings was cancelled. He was pretty bad ass in that.

23. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Interesting tidbit is that Ned Stark is going to be in season 6 in some capacity. Makes no sense to go over what I think they will if someone is "dead" dead.

24. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    The kid they cast as young Ned is only 13 or 14. He actually looks like he could be Bran's younger brother. So don't expect a ToJ flashback. Or, at least, don't expect it with this particular "young Ned."

That said, one of their new filming locations is here:

http://lossietereinos.com/el-castil...legria-y-girona-podria-ser-antigua-y-braavos/

And looks really, REALLY ToJish to me. ;)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  25. Xoon

Xoon New Member

Aug 31, 2015