1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Future #1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel4Blood, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Steel4Blood

Steel4Blood Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2017
    Next year Antonio Brown will be 30 yrs old. Studies show that age 30 is the age when Wide Receivers like Running Backs start to decline.
    AB does have an incredible work ethic and great route running so i think his decline will be a lot later than 30 years old.
    But, For the sake of the thread, when AB does start to decline who do you see becoming the number 1 receiver? JuJu or Bryant?
    I leave Eli Rogers off this because i believe eventually AB might move to Slot to continue his career when he is on the downside, therefore rendering Eli out of this because i believe Eli can only be a slot receiver.
    Thoughts?

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Kind of a difficult thing to answer. Marvin Harrison played until he was 36, a Pro Bowler until age 34. We don't even know who's going to be on the team at that point. A little early to debate imo.

3. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think AB's replacement is on the roster at this point - MB is more Randy Moss-like and will always be the post/fly receiver and not necessarily the over the middle tough in coverage receiver. JuJu is more Hines Ward-like (hopefully) with toughness over the middle. Not saying the Steelers wouldn't do well if MB and JuJu excel at their strengths and abilities but neither are AB-like - in actuality, who is?

4. mgsmooth

mgsmooth Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2016
    With Ben retiring in the next 1-3 years, I see AB, Eli, & JuJu being the mainstay of the passing game. We need a top notch TE safety valve moving forward.

Continued focus on a strong O-line and getting that top 5 swarming D will be more important than ever while another QB is being groomed.

I'd have to answer JuJu and a TE that's not on the roster.

5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Let's cross that bridge when we get to it.

6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    One of the things that makes AB so great is his route running, attention to detail, and his ability to make contested grabs. Those things age really well. He doesn't rely solely on speed or anything like that. I don't think he sees a drastic downturn in production in his early 30s. Eventually he will slow down and be more of a slot guy, but he definitely has 2-3 more years after this one to be at the top of his game.

7. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    AB's game actually translates well to aging. Realistically, he'll be a dominant receiver until he's 32-33 if he's not injury prone. The fact that he's not a speed-first guy works in our favor and probably part of why he got the long contract.

But for me, as you can see by my avatar, I think Bryant is the generation. Dude is LEGIT.

He's athletic, strong, fast and almost impossible to cover when he times his routes perfect. We also put time, reputation and resources into the guy so I don't think he'd up and leave for the money.

Nonetheless, we're blessed. lol

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Right, Can't we just win the super bowl first

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    If I had to pick i would pick JuJu. Obviously he has a lot to learn, but I don't know if he could ever be a deep threat. I think you have to be a good at every aspect of receiving to be a number 1.

10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    eli is getting better every year to me. i think he has very good hands. juju brings some toughness but this kid is just 20 years old, he's got a lot of future to show us that hasn't been realized yet. hunter hasn't played but i think this year with mann will still improve him too. tucker has looked good to so far and could take that next step at some point. :cool:

11. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I've been saying it for a while. Bryant is worth the risk and should get a 2nd contract with the Steelers. When this guy gets into game shape... the sky is the limit. I still don't think he's quite acclimated to the game yet after taking a year off. It will take a few games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    So they just gave AB all that money for 1 year and to completely fall off next year?

13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree we need to get him that second contract, sooner rather than later. stay clean and be a star is all he needs to do. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Jerry Rice is 54, and I'm convinced that guy could still run routes today. He keeps himself in amazing shape. I watched the Football Life episode on that guy, utterly insane his workouts were and still are.

Deep down I think AB strives to be like him. Jerry Rice even says that AB reminds him of himself with his work ethic.

Barring a major slew of injuries. AB could play into his late 30's. I have no doubt he will finish his current contract which goes through the 2021 season. I think he will finish that contract. After that point will he still be a Steeler? Maybe not. But don't forget Jerry Rice was with 3 teams after he left the 49ers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Yep. Bryant has his whole life to smoke weed after football. He can move to Washington state or Colorado and smoke until his heart is content AFTER he is done with the Steelers career.

16. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Future #1 should be a stud Free Safety

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    They usually aren't available when drafting at 32.

• Like Like x 1
  18. SteelCity_NB

SteelCity_NB Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 23, 2011
    Your point is accurate but Budda Baker lasted until pick #36. Safeties, more so than some positions, seem to be drafted later than they should.

19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As I was reading through this thread, Jerry Rice also popped into my mind as a comparison with AB. I think AB will be special for at least a few more years barring major injury.

20. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Ye, too early to say. I have a feeling the new #1 after AB isn't even on the team yet. Also, whenever AB is done, so will be Ben by then. We might be back to a Mark Malone/Brister/tomczak/Kordell QB at that point.

21. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

yup lol.. I really do not expect AB to drop off that much .. He has a fantastic work ethic similar to how Silverback defies age..

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Pass rushers, running backs, cornerbacks, offensive tackles and quarterbacks usually are more considered unless there are extreme circumstances, such as Derwin James and a lesser extent in Jamal Adams.

23. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Marvin Harrsion was pretty good until 33 I believe.

24. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Well... all of those QBs led the Steelers to the playoffs. Yes, they are no Bradshaw or Roethlisberger, but they were good enough to get their teams to the post season which is a lot more than most of the QBs in their respective time periods.

25. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think we have AB until his contract is up, then comes the time when the market will pay him more than we would. At that time, we can only hope we have already found the next #1 receiver in the draft by then. Seems to me we have done fairly well in that category.