1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Funny story

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Myronwemissyinz, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Myronwemissyinz

Myronwemissyinz

Oct 17, 2011
    Came across this thought it was funny.

How much respect did "Mean" Joe Green command? This is a excerpt from the new book RUANAIDH by Art Rooney jr. Its in a section talking about Ernie "Fats" Holmes. You know if your talking STEELERS DL Green will soon come up.

To become a functioning part of the Steel Curtain, the Steelers' front four, Fats needed guidance. He got it from Bill Nunn and assistant coach George Perles. They curbed his flamboyant individualism. Fats himself looked to Joe Greene for leadership. One time when his feelings were hurt -- Greene had ordered him off the field for freelancing instead of playing within the defensive scheme -- he refused an order from Perles to go back in. "Not till Joe tells me it's OK." Somehow, Perles got word to Greene, and he came to the sideline. Pointing a finger at Fats, he bellowed, "Get your ass in here!" Did you ever see an elephant fly? The elephantine Holmes fairly flew off the bench.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Man Joe Greene must have been a real man to have other real men act like that

3. SteelMojo

SteelMojo Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    i heard alot of great Joe Green stories him ripping off a Browns players helment took it slamed it down on the Browns sideline and there whole team scattered! another Steelers were losing to some team? and at the half Green stood up and threw his chair and it stuck in the chalk board and said lets win this game in so many words and we did go out and win!!!!!

4. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Bradshaw likes to tell a story where, during Greene's rookie year, when the Bills came to the line of scrimmage, Green had his foot on the ball and said, "I'm gonna teach you boys how to play football." Dude had everyone intimidated.