1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Full Game Videos - Sean Spence

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel_Elvis, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    If you only watch highlights, you won't get the full view of the player. Here are 4 full games of Sean Spence vs. various opponents. If you can invest 20 minutes into watching these videos, you'll see some interesting highlights and lowlights.

1. Compilation vs. KSU & FSU in 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhu1SAboTwU

2. Vs. Ohio State in 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5cvshec56A

3. Vs. Clemson in 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVS2Ej5ZPDk

What is see is as follows:

Strengths:
    1. Is very instinctive and rarely takes missteps. He is around the football all the time, and even when his lack of strength prevents him from making the play, he creates a disruption by being there.
    2. Is very good in coverage for a LB. I think he looks about as good in coverage as new Vikings safety Harrison Smith. In the Ohio State game, he was burned for a TD on a wheel route, but he closed the gap quickly and it was only the fact that Pryor threw an absolutely perfect pass that allowed the TD. Spence actually got into position to where he could have challenged for a pick if the ball were not perfectly thrown.
    3. He strips the football and is always seeking the turnover - we need more of that.

Weaknesses:
    1. Is very WEAK physically. You see this in some of his missed tackles (you'll see some tough misses against Pryor in the OSU game). He gets washed out when a blocker gets ahold of him. Another spot where you'll see it is in a completion to Dwayne Allen in the Clemson game. Allen was able to put out an arm when he made his break and toss Spence away like a 190 lb. DB to create 3-4 yards of separation.
    2. Does a lot of drag-down tackling when he isn't able to square up to the ball carrier. Too often, he gets dragged an extra 2 yards when making the tackle from the side (again, physical weakness).

My take is that he is a project for the strength coach. His 12 reps at 225 do not lie. He also shows the lower body strength of a DB, not a LB. If our strength coach can get him focused on building strength, he could be a quality ILB in 2-3 years. Otherwise, I fear that we are looking at a special teamer and final LB roster spot who rarely plays on defense. The good news is that he should be a terrific special teamer right away. He strips the football, and reacts really well to the play unfolding around him.

I would not have made this pick in the 3rd round. As a Will in a 4-3, his lack of strength would have been less of a problem. In our scheme, I don't think he can survive as more than a backup unless he builds up. You don't spend a 3rd rounder on a guy who can really only contribute on special teams for the 1st 2 years of his career while he builds up strength. Unfortunately I find this to be reminiscent of the Bruce Davis pick. In Davis' case, the tape showed a really great football player who was able to cover for his lack of athleticism at the college level by being instinctive and skilled. Once he got to the NFL, he couldn't do that because the level of competition was too high. Spence was able to cover for his lack of strength at the college level by being instinctive and skilled, but I doubt that it will be enough at the NFL level. I hope I'm wrong.

2. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Good work, think that's the consensus

3. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    He has already put on a bunch of muscle since then tough. He played at 218 at miami and is 231 now. He was 225 at the combine so to me it seems like he knew what he was lacking and is working on fixing it on his own which to me is huge. Anybody that can step back and say this is what I need to do and does it is somebody I want on my team. I don't care about reps I care about on the field and dude is very good on the field.

4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I hope you're right. If he can get stronger, he can be solid. Maybe even exceptional. I also don't care about the reps, but the game tape clearly shows that in his case the reps match the play. My eyes tell me that he is not anywhere near strong enough to play ILB in the NFL at this time. Also, as someone who has a bit of experience weight training, I can tell you that it's pretty rare for a guy to bulk up from 218 to 231 in a handful of months unless 1) it's not all muscle; or 2) he's using "supplements." My guess is that part of his weight gain is added body fat from not being in game shape the way that he was during the season. I don't really care if he plays at 220 or 240. It's about strength (not just benching reps, but all over). I care about whether he is strong enough to tackle someone like Gronk without being dragged another 3 yards. I care about whether he is strong enough to not automatically be taken out of a play if a TE or FB is able to get a blocking angle on him. I think that he is clearly not there right now, and it's going to take more than 1 year of strength training to get there. I hope he does it.

5. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Yeah i agree there but the good part is we dont need him this year footed and sly will be fine. and important sure some of it is body fat but i like the pick i hated at first but the more i see and read on him he really reminds me of farrior.

6. Nah85

Nah85 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    What are the chances of him staying at that weight and playing at safety?

7. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    he will be fine. his short area quickness will amaze you. he doesn't need to take on blocks head on he's quick and smart enough to be in position before the blockers get there. your gonna like spence, believe it. he's a 4 yera starter on miami's defense that is known for speed. that's something our defense needed badly. makes more tackles a year then hightower ever did. :thumbs_up: :cool:

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He needs to gain at least 10 pounds while he sits the bench this season, he was a tackling machine at Miami.