1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Frustrating Game, but we are still OK. Here is my assessment

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mort159, Dec 20, 2011.

1. mort159

mort159 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Poorly played and coached game by the Steelers tonight. Especially Ben! Ben played horrible and his ankle is not an excuse. Four turnovers is way too many.

-First was a good thrown ball to David Johnson, but bad decision. Johnson is not the type of TE to be throwing a deep pass a tight window to. In fact he should not be even put in that position to be running that route in that situation.
    -Second got away from him.
    -Third was from holding on to the ball. Why can't he just throw it away at some point?
    -Last, didn't really matter, but not a good decision at all.

We have seen this before from Ben. Hopefully this was the last one like this for awhile.

I thought the defense played ok. Only 7 points came from not off of a turnover. Not what we expect from our defense but not terrible. Although i didn't see a lot of our normal blitz looks and too much off coverage in 3rd down situations. I though that hurt, because i don't think the 49ers offense is very good and we basically game them a lot of easy throws.

Tomlin needs to let Lebeau coach more and put more input on the offensive side of the ball. He need to reign Arrians and Ben in a bit because right now they are out of control and very greedy. Always going for the big play. I would like to see more Redman. It seems like Mendenhall is running scared as of late. I think we need more play action passes and screens, something we have gotten away from the last couple of years. It seems like a very predictable run on 1st down and then spread them out after that. We need to play some more small ball similar to what the 49ers did to us. That will open up the big plays we are trying to force.

Anyway, we have seen all of this before so hopefully they learn and come back stronger for the playoff run. Too bad this cost us homefield throught the playoffs though.

2. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Re: Frustrating Game, but we are still OK. Here is my assess

I think we can still beat everyone on the road if we get our guys healthy....if not could be a quick exit from the playoffs

3. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011

My assessment is that Ben should not have played. Those throws where way off and it was obvious he could not step into his throws.
    The oline is terrible. Starks is ok even though he got manhandled tonight. I chalk it up as a bad game because he handle Terrell Suggs the last time we played them. Essex needs to be cut. Legursky is a career backup center. Foster is a career backup and Gilbert gets a pass because he is a rookie. If we don't draft at least two guards during the draft or signed one free agent guard, i don't know what the front office is thinking about.

We need some defensive lineman with pass rush ability. Any one remember Bruce Smith for the Buffalo Bills? 3-4 defensive end that can rush the passer. We need one. But since we invested in Heyward and Hood, get Bruce Smith on the phone and have him teach them some pass rushing moves. And while you got him on the phone, go two-way, and get Greg Lloyd on the other other line to teach Woodley, Harrison, Carter, Worilds the same moves from the outside linebacker.

We need a kicker.

4. Spinnin' Mendenhall

Spinnin' Mendenhall Member

Nov 2, 2011

We never seem to tackle for a loss much if any. It always appears 2nd n 8-6, never 2nd n 10-12. No matter the situation, RBs always seem to fall forward for 2-3yrds...even when it appears nothing is there. And for the life of me i can't figure out why William Gaye is playing 10yrds off the ball in every situation. How many comeback, out, in , slant routes can one receiver run without him coming up hard and breaking up the pass. #10 i believe for San Fran was putting in work last night. Oh, compared to San Frans LBs (young and fast) especially inside...we have to upgrade or trust what we have in our young LBs. The OL goes without saying, help is sorely needed. With that said if we get healthy (big if) i'll take our chances against anyone.

5. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

This has always been something that Lebeau seems to favour, and it's always frustrating. However, remember the Ravens game? We tried to play bump and run, and seemed to get flagged on every play. Or simply manhandled. The key is not so much playing off the recevier, the key is to wrap them up straight away, which we weren't doing last night with the exception of Clark.

6. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Don't you think that some of these teams are just hungrier than the steelers and want it more?

7. ballhair

ballhair Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011

Don't you think that some of these teams are just hungrier than the steelers and want it more?