1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Safety position

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by turtle, Jul 22, 2018.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Just been thinking about this spot because I'm tired of the Bell and JH92 talk. Is anyone else concerned about Sean Davis being the only real candidate for the spot? I think Morgan Burnett mans the SS spot and Edmunds is worked in slowly as that S/LB spot.

Who is challenging Davis at FS? Cam Sutton is the only candidate on the roster in my eyes that could do it. And don't give me this Brian Allen b.s., dude is way too raw, let alone the CB designation on the team website. Sutton has the intelligence and athleticism, but they seem to want him to be that swiss army knife DB. I hope he gets a legit chance to unseat Davis. I was a fan of the Davis pick but his performance at SS is leaving me pessimistic. I hope he can turn it around at FS.

Not gonna happen but a guy can wish scenario - FS Tre Boston is still available and has been in the media a lot about the FA market for Safeties. AZ offered him 3-4mil supposedly and he was disrespected in his words. I wonder if Pitts could coax him into camp with a 5-6mil offer? Especially if training camps get under way and he is still looking for a home. Some cuts would need to be made.

DHB - 1.3
    Coty Sensabaugh - 1.6
    McCullers - 720K
    Ridley or Touissant - 630K
    Dangerfield - 555K

That gets you darn close. DHB would be the biggest loss imo. Especially on STs but Brian Allen has proved to be a good understudy there. Hopefully one other guy steps up.

Boring time of year so just spitballing some ideas. I just am not trusting Davis all the way right now and having Boston and Burnett would be huge for the secondary.

2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Burnett but that is about it regarding the Free Safety spot.

Should he move to Strong Safety and underachieve there... the hope then becomes that Terrell Edmunds is ready by then.

Regarding him, hope he signs soon. If it is not the guaranteed money up front, the offset language is the likely culprit here.

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Don’t forget Nat Berhe. He’s listed as a FS on some sites.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Tom Bradley.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  5. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I didn't forget about "the Missile" but for the most part he's been a special teamer in NY and Pitts only inked him to a one year deal I believe, which hints at them not being sure of his abilities. I haven't seen the guy play so I don't know what kind of FS candidate he will be. He's not giving me the warm n fuzzies either though at this point. All I know is he is a very physical guy so I'm hoping we are not just adding a guy that wants highlight hits.

6. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    He's going to earn his paycheck teaching Davis and I hope he is the difference maker because Davis has the speed to cover some ground.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think they are both up to the task. :cool:

8. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I think we are doing hybrid safeties. Meaning we don't have a free safety or a strong safety. just 2 safeties that can do either FS or SS and also LB. I hear they might rotate the defensive line and CB's to confuse defenses. You laugh but you all saw Tuitt chasing that player yards way down when Mitchell wouldn't even chase them 2 yards lol.

9. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    As far as hybrid players I think they will rotate:

Edmunds = safety/LB
    Sutton = CB/Safety
    TJ watt = LB/DE
    Vince = MLB/DE
    Dupree = Bench/PUP
    Hargrave = NT/DE

I am pretty excited in all honesty

10. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You answered your own question....it's right there in front of your face.....DHB........Obviously.....:hehehe:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    These guys don't need pigeonholed into a certain position and that will be the best part of this defense. It will be hard for qbs to distinguish of who is playing what position and who is covering what and where. Call it smoke and mirrors but these opposing offenses better be able to distinguish between a fire and and a good looking suit real quick.:cool:

12. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
  13. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    After some worrisome things have come to light....I just hope our guys know who is playing what position...

14. Watt Wack

Watt Wack Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2017
    Yea, and the team most confused will be us, judging by the performance of these geniuses the last 2 years.

15. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    We don't even need free safeties; we will fill the field with mini ILBs all game long. No one will be able to figure it out...
    ...if it were in the 70's.

16. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

If it was the same players and coaches of the last two years and the same injuries yea maybe. :cool:

17. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    I really don't see the concern with Sean Davis. Even if he had a bad year, it doesn't mean the guy is out for the count.

They are switching him from strong to free safety, so my guess is that is in their mind the better fit for him. We are stacked in the safety department currently with a bunch of different guys with different skill sets which could be cool to watch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Davis will be fine. I think he had a pretty good year actually, with a great deal of confusion around him and our defense in his second year. There were a lot of different faces around him too and no consistency from the group. Year 3 is usually a big season for a player to get it. Going through camp with the same group and a new and better coach will work wonders. Look for good things from this defense if they can stay healthy.:cool:

19. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I'm very concerned about free safety, turtle. There is no true free safety on the roster, no center fielder-type guy who can play single high. In years past Burnett was a competent deep half pass defender so I'm hopeful that he pans out. Davis struggles in deep half so I have no faith in him at free.

20. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    I think we are fitting the linebackers and safeties as hybrids so both positions can do each others.

21. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    We've sold our soul to beat Brady this offseason, but we'll get ran over by teams with good RBs.... Jax, KC and NO.

22. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    turtle: FS Tre Boston is still available and has been in the media a lot about the FA market for Safeties.

The cards signed him to a 1 year deal yesterday, with camps opening he wanted to get in this year and get a payday next year, he had 5 picks last year and surprisingly nobody gave him a multi year deal...

23. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I'll have to keep an eye on him this year and see how he does for Steelers West. He has a good partner there in Budda Baker.

24. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Boston got a raw deal because he should have been signed before this because he does have game:

And Mike Mitchell tweeted this to us fans for bad mouthing him:

Couldn’t be the Superman like years prior BC my foot was broke. Never once did I complain or make excuses. Most y’all talkin s**t wouldn’t even have gone out there. You’re too soft.

7:32 AM - May 5, 2018

25. Watt Wack

Jul 29, 2017
    They're different positions for a reason: LBs need more size to take on ball carriers around the LOS, safeties need to be faster than LBs because they need to play receivers in coverage. You can get cute here and there, but if you try to have LBs and Ss in each others' positions more than a few times, you will be served. If the Steelers think they can play this game on any kind of consistent basis, they are gonna get run all over, or passed on. This hybrid game is NOT a panacea, and if they think it is, they are going to get embarrassed, big time.