1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

You mean $35 Million a year. JaMarr can command that easily. Cincinnati is at his mercy. Why?! Even with the likes of Higgins, Joe Burrow wasn't going to compete with the likes of Mahomes and Jackson. Giving him Chase will ensure that he can.

As you said though, once that is done, sayonara to Tee Higgins.

3. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

So... tag em then trade em then?!

Otherwise, best of luck to Higgins. He will need it.

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Its going to be interesting to watch how this market develops. Unlike QB's, there are quite a few WR's that develop and have some very decent years. Are they all like Tyrek, Jefferson, or Chase..no, but for now a lot are getting massive contracts. Problem is when Cee Dee Lamb, Dak, and Parsons come up at the same time and all want the richest contract how can a team do it, let alone a team trying to keep Chase with their QB and Higgins wanting his share, or the 9's with those signed and those waiting in the wings.

I am not one saying guys should not try and get what they can, but in reality there is only so much to go around...not sure the WR market can sustain this level with that much talent out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The market itself is going to course correct soon anyways. As you said, only so much to go around as far as WR's go. Unlike RBs, minus two or potentially three if Josh Jacbos is accounted for, the value of a WR has skyrocketed thanks in part to the modern NFL. Problem is, only so many great WRs can exist at one time yet the ones that are not even close to that level find themselves being paid close to the top value at the time of their signing (Christian Kirk being the prime example circa 2022). I suspect that Higgins, while him being a Number One, will command money roughly equivalent or surpassing what the likes of Justin Jefferson or presumably CeeDee Lamb will have in time.

EDGE is another can of worms all together. Micah definitely will be the highest paid non QB in Football no question. The question now becomes is he going to break $40 Million or potentially go even beyond that?! Time will tell for certain.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    No disputing that, the market itself is set by a number of things. Owners and GM's go after who they want and will pay the price. The issue will be how to build a team around those you have paid. Minnesota has a rookie QB, hard not to justify surrounding him with a proven WR who is one of the best. What complicates things is what Miami will face, you are paying one WR, resigned another to a massive contract, and now do you try and pay Tua? Jury might still be out, signing years and bonus structures can keep certain guys in play for a year or 2, but ultimately it all comes due.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 78steelers

78steelers Active Member

Nov 15, 2023
    Russell Gage? What do you think as a free agent for steelers

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    We have to many #3. We need a real #2 or #1

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
  12. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't know if that is a win or a loss. I kind of liked Mims who last about 30 seconds on the open market before the Jets snagged him.

I am still hoping for WR Michael Thomas to block all the 1st round trade talk for Aiyuka, Metcalf, and Higgins.

And did Trenton Thompson just open up a slot for a Safety? I still believe Justin Simmons would be a great addition to the DBs this year.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I was surprised by this cut. Maybe the neck injury was too risky to keep around. Thompson looked pretty decent last year.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    My hopes are running high now. Dulac has been more wrong than right this year, hope the trend continues.

Gerry Dulac's Steelers chat transcript: 06.19.24 | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    SMF: Hi Gerry: Thanks for the chats. Michael Thomas seems to be the perfect fit for WR2. Do you think the Steelers know his actual Medical Status and have passed; have they worked him out? If not, why not?
    Gerry Dulac: They have not, to be my knowledge. And I also have been told he is not their type of receiver.

The same Dulac that reported the Steelers would not trade DJ, a week before they traded DJ
    The same Dulac that reported the Steelers had no interest in Russell Wilson a week before they signed Russell Wilson

17. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i had heard some talk of tyler lockett. i wouldn't mind that for the right price. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Dirty Red is back.....

upload_2024-7-17_19-23-35.png

• Like Like x 1