1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And Mahomes and his agent seem to be able to work with the Chiefs to surround him with a quality team????

2. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Maybe in the 2030s,but the chiefs don't care about that right now....You can keep the windows wide open for a long time with all the void year contract and thing like that

3. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    When you draft well,like the chiefs did with their defense,the windows can be very long as long they have Mahomes,etc

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    They’ve drafted well, especially on defense, and have gotten good performance out of low-mid tier free agents. Better than just about anyone. They have had to lose top talent because they couldn’t afford them. Tyreek Hill. Snead this year. If they hadn’t been drafting well, they wouldn’t have been able to stay on top.

It also helps that Mahomes is just that much better than any other QB in the NFL right now and is at his best when the stakes are the highest.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    If You had bothered to read on....I already agreed with someone....already saying this, and said so....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::shrug:

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah.... @Thor already covered that, and I agree with him

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    For sure, the structure of the entire GM (and crew), Reid, and Mahomes make the window open and extended for a long period. Look at the seasons stats on O, nothing really glares out, except Kelce and a WR (both had under 1000 yards, another who had 500. No exceptional running game, and for a period throughout the year the most dropped passes in the league. Having the lowest (or near lowest) draft picks the last 5 years, yet they still win. Mahome, Reid, a GM and staff who know how to draft and develop.

8. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016
    And I don't think next year,their WRs will be as bad as they were last year in the regular season

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I'm not even including the WR they let go, the ones they brought in via trade or FA and moved on from. One thing is Reid is not stuck on personal and is not afraid to take risks to get better. Heck the one RB who was so great in the last 2 years is no longer on the team. I agree the young WR will likely improve, but that does not stop either Reid or Mohomes, they find a way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It's not only the cost in draft, which no doubt his production would warrant, but the long term is not going to be cheap. Not saying it is good or bad, just saying if that is the direction they go, then others in the next year or two won't be in their plans.

11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    No :poopy: Sherlock :lolol:

12. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Right. People would be hard pressed to name one of their WRs from last year. Outside of Kelce, everyone is a role player. Mahomes just make them look good. This year, their splash signing is “Hollywood” Brown. A WR that has been rejected by two teams. Yet, I’m sure Mahomes will squeeze out the best from him

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Maybe Steve Young got it right when he signed his $40 million contract for 43 years.

In today's market it would be like a 50 year contract for $6 million per year to keep the cap hit down. :)

14. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Bonilla, 60, hasn’t played a baseball game since 2001, but he continues to be paid until he’s 72

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd trade him. :smiley1::cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The Steelers added some depth today by signing wide receiver Quez Watkins, quarterback Kyle Allen, and defensive end Dean Lowry. I hope they end up being too good for any but Allen to make the team.

17. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

They do.

An elite pass rush can aide the coverage in a big way. Remember that the Chiefs were ranked second in the NFL in sacks and third in sack percentage. In addition, Kansas City ranked second in points given up; behind Baltimore.

Chris Jones has been money in the playoffs, L'Jarius Sneed was a very good player but elite IDL like Jones are quite rare. Add the fact that the team has Trent McDuffie and the Chiefs could afford to let Sneed go via a trade. Besides, given the ammunition that the Chiefs now possess coupled with both a legendary WR Class along with a tremendous OT class?!... peg the Chiefs to select either or in Round One; a trade up being not out of the question as well.

All I know is that should the Chiefs get the likes of Brian Thomas Jr or Adonai Mitchell.... oof.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    In addition to signing Allen, the Steelers have also acquired defensive end Dean Lowry. Lowry appeared in nine games for the Vikings last year, starting in four of them.

19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i liked lowry when he was drafted. he was pretty good at north western. allen ain't a bad #3 to have. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Kyle Allen. Big QB with a little mobility. I knew him during his time in Washington. He had a decent year in Carolina but a bit like Mason, just didn't take it up a notch.
    He's a good guy to have at that #3 spot and can elevate to #2.

Dean Lowery is to me more of a run defender that can pick up sacks along the way. He keeps nice containment on the edge. Good depth upgrade that can start.

Watkins - He's a speedy guy and probably upgrades our depth a notch. Add in a feature WR in the draft, you got something.

So far not spectacular, but decent signings. Center and OT still loom large for me... along with some lesser....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Some of the signings now are just helping us to get to 90

• Agree Agree x 5
  22. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019

Our need at C might be the worst kept secret in the league.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Former Falcons RB Cordarrelle Patterson reached agreement on a two-year deal with the Pittsburgh Steelers, per sources. Patterson reunites with his former HC Arthur Smith.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I like Patterson but there's no way he can play Center.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  25. NDsteelerfan

NDsteelerfan Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    have the steelers even spent $20 mill combined in free agencecy yet?

• Like Like x 1