1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Nobody does much with Lamar Jackson.....he's had what.....one 1000 yard wrs since he's played. There is a reason people ....that the Ravens have to pay through the nose to bring in Wrs.

2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    If we haven't traded for a WR, I don't think we will. Unless it's the second day of the draft

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Somebody needs to remind Khan free agency isn't over, he still hasn't signed a center or slot CB :rolleyes:.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
  5. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Michael Thomas on a prove it deal?

• Like Like x 1
  6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Trade: Chiefs are finalizing a deal to send franchise CB L’Jarius Snead to the Titans, per league sources.
    Chiefs are expected to receive a 2025 3rd-round pick, in addition to a 2024 7th-round pick flop, while Snead will sign a new contract. Trade is pending a Sneed physcal

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    He's probably washed at this point.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That seems cheap for a cornerback as good as Sneed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    It is, until you consider what it would cost to keep him. The Titans are rumored to be signing him to the richest CB deal in history. Currently that's Jaire Alexander, whose contract was worth $84M total, with $30M guaranteed (35.7%), and a $21M AAV.

The Titans are still $45.7M under their cap and don't have many players that carry a significant hit - including a franchise QB. The Chiefs, on the other hand, have over $60M assigned just to their QB, TE, and DE in 2024. And that number currently doubles to $120M next year, or about 45% of their entire 2025 cap.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    And a pain in the ass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

excited about these 3.
    :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Some of those safeties and CB’s must be looking for big bucks, surprised they’re still available.

The WR options are bare, Boyd probably the best one. Going to either have to address that with a trade or draft. Maybe it won’t cost as much as people think to get Aiyuk here.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Agreed. Maybe the Chiefs know something :shrug:

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This could be it.....I didn't think about that.:thumbs_up:

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Here's what the Chiefs know- they could not possibly sign Sneed for the money he wanted. He's expected to become the highest paid cornerback in the league.

16. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Sneed's contract with the Titans is 4year/$76million ($55million guarenteed)

• Like Like x 1
  17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The
    Or maybe the Chiefs don't want to pay him 55 million guaranteed like the Titans are going to.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Those are insane numbers for 3 players. IDK specifics, and likely Kelce retires after this year, but the 'great mad manageable, contract Mahomes signed, which they have restructured several times does and will be a problem at some point. Not saying it was bad for anyone, they have 3 rings, but the money becomes due one day. That contract to Jones can also be a backbreaker, the market is the market, but he turns 30 this year and the decline usually starts then and can come quickly. He can still be great, but statistically it rarely pays off.

19. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Not a single center on that list. They damn sure better draft a center in the 2nd round, or even the 1st

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I think they bring back Mason Cole and draft someone early.

Connor Williams is a C, but he had a pretty bad knee injury last season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    This is a possibility

They are letting Cole find his market value

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    You can drop the apparently, he is a confirmed idiot.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Connor Williams is a center, and in terms of play was considered the best in the FA class this year. But an ACL tear in December has stunted his value for 2024. I haven't been able to find any updates or projections on his recovery, but the injury and its timing really put a hitch in things. He was expected to sign a contract with an AAV north of $13M (Cushenberry's was $12.5M) prior to going down.

24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    There’s not a lot at positions of need:

C: Cole may be our best remaining FA center option - god help us. I feel like we are locked into a center in the 1st or 2nd, and it has to be a guy who plays CENTER, not a guard who took a few snaps at center. Whoever it is needs to be ready to step in early.

CB: The remaining corners are a bunch of has-beens, never-beens or guys coming off of major injuries. I have a little bit of hope that Rush can develop at least into a competent backup outside corner, but that’s a long way from a certainty. Jackson is a legit mid-tier starter. He’s not a stud, but he’s at least better than what we had across from JP Jr last season. Still, he’s on a 1 year deal.

WR: Right now we need at least 1 more receiver who will play significant snaps. I like CA3, but he’s really a slot guy. We currently lack a true #2. Jefferson could surprise us and recapture his 2021 form, but it would be a surprise (to me anyway). I guess there are a few declining former stars still available who can maybe play, but it just seems to rarely work out when a team signs a declining star WR. I love Roman Wilson in the 2nd if we do nothing else to address WR.

T: I know that conventional wisdom has us taking a T early. I don’t know. I think we’re locked into Jones and Moore as the starters in camp, and in a draft with so much talent at tackle we may find a good one in the 3rd round who can be ready in 2025.

DL: We need help, but may be Ok in 2025 if the room stays healthy (a definite risk). I didn’t see much there at DT.

LB: If Kwon can pass a physical, I’d like to bring him back into the rotation.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

i think the options already here can be as good as cole. mccollum, herbig, anderson. i think we go for one within the first 3 rounds minimum.

cream rises to the top with these corners and i expect we go early to get a good one. if rush and trice do anything it will be a plus. josiah scott did start 4 games in 2022 for the eagles. 8 passes defended and two picks. that aint bad. maybe he works into the dime or slot. he's got 4 years in the league. have to see what happens.

again i think they may draft a tackle after the first but may just see what anderson and cook bring. rookie won't be ready.

LB i agree if kwan can come back healthy yes but it's time for robinson to take the next step as well. roberts and queen could hold down the fort. holcomb i hope is healthy by camp. it will be close probably. they have been working out and meeting with some inside guys.

DL, we have a few that need to step up. we do need to draft but this draft has limits for the type we look for. maybe a DT and adams and benton move outside some. they both can play there too. :cool:

• Like Like x 1