1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Without restructures or releases, there's money to sign one more solid FA and there are a few left. That, and let's say the first two picks (1st, 2nd) gets us three good players. They need C, WR, CB desperately with OT and, I'd argue, DL also being pressing needs. To say nothing of general depth everywhere; another QB, another RB, maybe FB, another WR, is Holcomb coming back?, another S, etc. Those 3rd, 4th, 4th picks are somewhat critical if this team wants to contend. Hopefully, the two 6ths and UDFAs find a keeper or two as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
    I REALLY would not worry about WR. The Steelers haven't had any issues finding quality receivers in a while now. They'll likely grab a solid guy in FA and then nab someone we don't expect in the draft and that person becomes a start. I'm more worried about the line. Not as much as last season, but they badly need a quality center.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Agree. The '24 draft is loaded with WR talent. Steelers can get a good WR in round 3 or 4. But... I can see them spending a 2nd round pick on WR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Steelers can certainly find them in the draft ... depends on what is out there in Free Agency.

Allen Robinson came in last year and didn't do much.

5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    As far as WR - I'd like to see a Vet added, a 1-year deal maybe loaded with incentives.
    Mike Williams is out there. A 6-foot-4 wideout is a big-play generator.
    I don't know where he is as far as that ACL goes, but he would help a lot in stretching the field for those bombs from Wilson.... he's ranked the 5th rated deep pass receiver.

It might be a little bit of a cost, but I think the Steelers could fit him. Then draft WR(s) as mentioned several times.

Michael Thomas will costs us ~$9mil... he catches everything. But Williams, I think might come at a better price.

In the economy signing, I wonder if Hunter Renfrow might be a decent addition. He had some highlights with the Raiders but never really anything special. He's just a vet to me that might bolster our WR's.

Brian Allen, Center would seem like a good addition along with a drafted Center.. Zach Frasier would be my ideal guy.

6. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

He didn't have much to work with......

7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

yep - depending on the REST OF FA, Rd 2 looks like where we take one, unless the draft is REALLY DEEP in WR's, which I don't know.

It appears that we are starting down the barrel at the best C in Rd. 1 - as of now.

one of those top 3 should be there. Still would love to see us ink the guy that snapped for Russ last year - if that could be a good value contract. and STILL DRAFT the best C at #1.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We keep hearing that Smith's system utilizes bigger receivers, so I'm not sure if Austin fits. He didn't light it up when Johnson was out this past season, but maybe he still has a step forward in him. The guy was a hell of a receiver in college, not just a gimmick guy.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like Austin.. but I would like to free him up to stretch the field.
    If they could pick up a solid Vet like Williams (at a good price) I could see that 3WR set causing issues for defenses.
    I still want to draft WR but after getting an OT and then a Center.

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

"The deal preserved the Vikings' own first-round pick, No. 11 overall, which they could in theory package with the No. 23 pick to move up in the round."

#3 pick is the only one I could see them dealing for.
    The #1`pick by Chicago is an interesting spot. I think they would trade but it would be costly.
    The # 2 pick by Washington is not up for grabs. They traded away their QB and they are going for a QB.
    The #3 pick by New England, they like draft picks... they could gamble on a QB later.

I could be totally wrong... that just seems like some possibility.
    The Market doesn't seem to be perking up for Fields.

11. Born2Steel

Born2Steel Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2023
    I am interested to see what the Patriots do with the #3pick. If BB were still in charge of the draft I would give a 99% probability of trading back. And possibly trading back a second time. I wonder if the same philosophy still applies. While BB was good at acquiring picks, he wasn’t very good using them overall.
    If I only had Zappe and Rourke in my QB room, I would be drafting a QB at #3.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I can't see NE not demanding at least both 1sts and Minn's 2nd this year to drop that far. At that point, they can trade Minn's #11 and their #34 to Zona for #4, get the Michigan QB, and still have #23 and #42. Or #11 and #42 for the Giants at #6, if they're sure Zona and LAC are going WR.

13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is an interesting situation there.
    But I have read some reports saying they will pursue Harrison at #3.
    That is the only tidbit that causes me some pause.

I agree.... New England's GM role went downhill. I think Scott Pioli is missed.

14. We need a change

We need a change Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Herbert had a team with no coach.

15. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Like that attitude!

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Incorrect. This will now be His 4th HC.

17. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I am a bit worried since Pickens and Austin are the only current options. Austin is talented, but unproven. Pickens is a budding star, but hasn't ascended past a guy who has flashed that big play/big time receiver qualities. I completely understand that Pickett limited them both, but they still aren't totally perfect options.

I know we are going to address the position both in FA and in the draft, but until those players are added it is hard to feel great. Boyd is a pretty similar caliber player to Robinson at this point of his career, and no matter how good we are at drafting WR's we are still in danger of picking a Claypool or Washington just as likely as we are grabbing a Pickens, DJ, or JuJu. Pickens/Boyd/Austin/Bad pick looks AWFUL compared to Pickens/DJ/Austin/Robinson. Now, all of this gets alleviated if we pick a good WR in the draft, but it is definitely a cause for some level of concern.

18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Another thing Boykin (I believe the first 'n' is meant to be silent and invisible in print) is not is under contract. Still a member of the FA marketplace.

So that was Cushenberry, who already signed with the Titans on Monday for 4yr/$50M.

19. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  20. BluegrassSteel

BluegrassSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2022
    Time to bring back Josh Dobbs!

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    As 3rd string, maybe. We need a better 2nd string option, maybe via the draft.

22. BluegrassSteel

BluegrassSteel Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2022
    Yeah, I agree! Maybe go after Rattler in round 3, or who knows. I am not rulling anything out with the "Khan Artist" in charge!

23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He’d be a fine but still need to draft someone. There should be a few mid rd guys to choose from. Hope you get lucky.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's pretty much all they can do. I don't mind the idea of signing Dobbs, but last season proved that if he has to play significant time, the team is thoroughly screwed.

If they were going to do this, they should have traded for Howell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Omar is Kahn-stantly making moves. An interesting offseason.