1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now do their Qbs.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The Seahawks announced that Geno is still their starter. They gave up a 3rd and 5th but are also getting back a 4th and 6th.

3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Nap time

Oct 26, 2011
    I did my homework

You do yours

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Definitely an interesting trade. 3 and a 5 alone would be expensive for a backup but they got a 4 and 6 back. Howell has had some good moments. Is Geno in his last contract year? Pickett doesn't carry much value at all right now.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Now Ridder to Cardinals for Rondale Moore.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I would take Williams on a one year prove it deal for 5 million or less.

7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I thought the Steelers should've been in on Samuel, they're probably looking to sign a WR that's a lot cheaper.

8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    re-signed montravious adams. not a bad move. he played pretty well last year. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Lambert

Jun 5, 2015
    Thought I saw 3/24 (not 3/30) for Samuel. I'd have done that no problem.

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    No, but the rumors started because Wilson and Beckham are close and supposedly, they have said they always wanted to play together.

11. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Wow. Good trade for Seattle. I really think Howell has a chance to develop into a decent NFL caliber QB.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Chargers traded Keenan Allen to the Bears for a fourth-round draft pick. To be fair, if I'm reading it right, they are taking on a $5 million roster bonus and $18 million base salary for 2024.

13. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Wow! Herbert loses Williams and Allen in the same week. I have a feeling the Chargers are going to be a run-first team going forward given their coaching staff.

My first reaction was that it's a shame the Steelers did not get Allen, but he is 32, has a history of injuries, and costs a lot. I trust Khan has a plan for the receiver room, but I do think we need to sign somebody and draft a wideout as well.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The Chiefs signed Hollywood Brown to a one-year deal. This seems disturbingly like what happened with the centers, the Steelers sitting on their hands while every decent option goes elsewhere. (Spare me the nonsense they put out there about making a push to get Morse. He signed a relatively cheap deal. If they tried, it wasn't very hard.)

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    We will almost certainly have to go wide receiver early in the draft now. There are still a few guys out there who can fill roles, but there aren't many difference makers left in free agency.

16. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    Yeah, but I think you're overlooking the push they made to sign Morse.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think the Steelers were a little Sticker shocked on how much all those centers signed for on Monday. They saved $3.955 million by releasing Mason Cole, they probably thought they could find another starting center for around double that.
    upload_2024-3-14_23-20-39.png

18. Thor

Thor

Mar 20, 2014
    I don't know about that. The only one to sign significantly over that was Cushenberry, but the four-year deal/$12.5M AAV he signed was considered his market. Biadasz was also signed for what was projected, a three-year deal deal with a $9.75M AAV. The rest have thus far been offered contracts at or below $8M AAV.

The last remaining non-stopgap option is Connor Williams, who was largely considered the best of the group, but is recovering from an ACL tear in December. I haven't been able to find any estimates of a return date for him, but it has (predictably) slowed his signing. His market was originally in the $13M range, but depending on his recovery and adjusted value I still like him as an option. They needed to take some pressure off of the draft, especially since WR is now in the mix early.

19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I have a hard time looking at this depth chart and not seeing the obvious.
    WR is really shallow. Calvin and Marquez are ok as depth players.
    Center - Just blows... No way would I go into the season with those two. Both are players you only want to see in the final preseason game.
    LT doesn't give me any confidence at all.

I subscribe to Free Agency as 'Buyer Beware' as there will be players overpaid. But smart shopping can get you some depth players, and it can still get you starters for a good wage. As I've stated a few times, there were some good centers that got signed that would have fit in as #1 or #2 that are far better than the two that are on the roster.
    I would have liked to see a Center and a WR picked up, then draft a Center after OT and then WR's.

We can't have Russell Wilson running for his like every snap and we can't have him tossing long passes to only have them dropped.
    upload_2024-3-15_7-47-41.png

20. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They could have signed another center for double that. Morse less than double that per year.

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Exactly. Right now, they have left themselves gaping holes at center and wide receiver. Going into the draft without addressing those would be idiotic, but it doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility at this point. They blew it by not going higher to get Morse. He signed for a reasonable amount.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Which makes it even more evident a center will be drafted in the 1st or 2nd round. I believe they were going to do the whole time. 10.5 mill for 2 years was nothing really but they must have low balled him which never has happened before :rolleyes: Or they offed him a one year flyer.

Nate Herbig can man the center position but he is NOT the long term solution. May start the season depending on who they draft.

23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They cannot go into the season with their current players. McCollum isn't good. Daniels hasn't played center in years. Herbig is not a viable option there full time. My understanding is that he has problems with his shotgun snaps. Do we really need to see that sort of issue again?

I have no doubt that they tried to lowball Morse and that he and his agent responded by taking the other deal. I am a big fan of what Khan has done so far, but I think he has dropped the ball on this one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

MUCH cheaper - Boyd.

and then #2 or 3rd round draft pick

most of you have given up / forgotten about Austin. I have not nor do I think that the Steelers have. and Boynkin. He is not a great WR, BUT he is bigger - can block - AS may see him as more valuable than was previously seen.

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    denzel mims formerly with the jets was signed in the off-season too. 6-3 from baylor in the second round by the jets. never really panned out there but look at their qb situation from the time he got there. maybe he can be get back to his 2nd round stature.:shrug: maybe not. he and callaway and pickens are on the bigger side. :cool:

• Like Like x 1