1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free Agency Thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Mar 5, 2024.

1. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/sXNnYIBcncg

2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I know plenty of Jets fans who would say good riddance to Whitehead. He made some great plays against Josh Allen in the 2023 opener, but didn't do all that much the rest of the way. He isn't bad, but he isn't an upgrade. He is more durable than Kazee, but that's about it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I want our 3rd RB to be a FB.

I just don't know if Conor Heyward is capable of being Arthur Smith's FB.

I loved watching the 49ers run out of the old I-Formation this year.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I want Baker Mayfly in black and gold. I really believe with him and our two RB's we'd be an above average offense.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    3/13/24 Free Agency talks begin.
    9 players thus far have been tagged, no surprises there. All are good and I can see their respective teams not at all comfortable with the idea of them leaving via Free Agency without compensation (aside from a comp. pick.)

My thoughts
    I see some talk about Baker. Baker Mayfield falls into that category of surprises that I think this Free Agency will reveal.
    Tampa had said they were going to bring him back, but their actions haven't supported their claims.
    If Mayfield walks, Tampa has no real QB and pick 13th in the upcoming draft.
    They could be on the market for a Mason Rudolph to fill in while they look for a franchise QB. It's a good fit as Mason probably would start there in 2024 and probably 2025 if he plays well enough.

Seattle is jettisoning some contracts, hard hitting Safety Jamal Anderson is on the market now.
    As far as the Steelers go, Anderson has been unable to stay on the playing field, so I can't see that being a fit.

The dolphins released LB Jerome Baker. I think the Dolphins are calling his bluff, thinking he over values himself after they tried to negotiate a new contract to clear some cap space.
    He's a 3-4 LB with 6 years of starting experience. He could be a fit in the Steelers defense.

One of the more interesting teams to watch is Harbaugh's Chargers, where some decisions have to be made. They released 3-4 LB Eric Kendricks. Khalil Mack is one to keep an eye on too as the team was built to contend last season and fell far short.

The Steelers could fill Center and LB fairly easy during Free Agency to take some pressure off the Draft.
    I think there will be some surprise releases in the upcoming days as well but the thing for me is "Buyer Beware" They are free agents for a reason.

7. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011

sometimes karl those reasons are not bad ones. sometimes it's a money thing. having a franchise qb and his payday can force teams to free up guys they normally wouldn't want too.

as i have said above, yes to jarome baker. kendricks as well would be nice. i think either would be a nice fit here. we can find the money for sure. there are a few centers out there plus we have some in house options if it comes down to it. that's not ideal but it could be done. we will have to decide on cole holcomb. allen robinson. maybe even loudermilk. denzel mims. these guys free up a little money but don't give us a ton of dead money to do it. holcomb with the injury could have to be done differently. we need a backup qb for sure. i have mentioned logan woodside as a possibility. should come cheap but knows smiths system inside and out. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    The Chargers are almost $20 million over the cap. Their 4 highest paid players (Bosa and Mack, DE's, and Allen and Williams, both WRs) total $142 million, and their dead cap hit is $27 million. Why hasn't their GM been fired yet?

9. jeh1856

jeh1856 I care what dogs think of me. That’s about it.

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok

There have to be a certain number of special teams members and they are going to have to be able to play some other position

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

No doubt and there will be some of those players on the market.
    But I think "Buyer Beware" still applies.

Additionally, Washington used to be really bad at this, targeting a player whose skills do not match the needs. Example: A Zone CB and expect him to play Man:Man.

11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

They were supposed to be a dominant team last season, they were built to be so.
    In doing that, they are in a mess as you describe.
    But they did fire the GM (Tom Telesco) that did that as well as the coach.
    Joe Hortiz was named GM 1/2024. He is cleaning that mess up and the reason why I mention them as a very interesting team as they are going to have cap casualties.
    Some will not fit Harbaugh's style.
    Some are over paid.
    Some just suck.

12. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    we did that for years here too. dick lebeau used to complain about that. they wanted him to play more man coverage since he was a zone blitz guy and they wouldn't get him man cover corners. he went to tenn and played more man then any other team when they let him go. with good results i might add. the skins were quite foolish with money and free agents back then for sure and it netted then very poor results. who was the NT they signed that they paid an enormous amount of money to at the time? :cool:

13. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Albert "The Worm" Haynesworth.... at the time was a record breaking contract.

14. steelersrock151

Nov 18, 2011
    You're right, I just saw that they did fire the GM. And their first cap casualty is LB Eric Hendricks, so that's good news for us. Add him to Jerome Baker of the Phins that was cut yesterday, and the ILB market is looking better. And the more options drives the price down. ($6.5 million down, $13 million to go).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Their GM has been fired at the same time that Brandon Staley...He is now the raiders GM!

16. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Who

17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Glenn?

18. jeh1856

Oct 26, 2011
    Glemm

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They usually play special teams. Can't have a 3rd Rb that won't, or can't play special teams, or you won't be able to carry him on game day.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And yet somehow...someone on here tried saying Justin Herbert has no team around him. LoL :lolol:

21. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Thats right where I thought it would be.

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Yes. :cool:

23. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    are any QB going to be siigned

24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    About on the money.
    I'm not sure anyone will offer more.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

well, of course - you can't have just 1 on the roster and they won't just go w Kenny and a rookie draft pick, so yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1