1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Running out of chairs. Newton, Winston,
    We're 2-3 years from eating **** for a season, whenever Ben is officially gone. Probably have a new GM then, and possibly a new HC. They are basically all in right now.

2. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    Brees vs Brady twice a year should be interesting

3. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Lost BJ to the Seahawks which seems really strange since he loved it here and was a dream come true and blah blah blah. The deal he got was well with in the Steelers wheelhouse not sure what soured things here.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I would imagine not starting was a big issue. Yes, I do believe that BJ loved playing for the team he grew up loving. That said, loyalty does have limits.

Finney's likely came last season when the team decided to stick with Ramon Foster as the starter. Personally, I would have moved on from Ramon myself mid season as his play was deteriorating rapidly. Then again, perhaps that, had the team moved on from Foster last season, BJ becoming the starter and possibly getting hurt, Fred Johnson would likely still be here.

Either way, I wish him all the best. Really wanted him to take over for Ramon the same. I suppose that either the Interior Offensive Lineman, Offensive Tackle or Wide Receiver really are in play for Round Two.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That one really made no sense to me, but maybe they just didn't like what they saw of him on the field in 2019. He really wasn't good when he had to fill in at center and the whole line struggled in every combination much of the season. If they really wanted him, it seems like they could have matched or beaten the $8 million for two years he got from the Seahawks.

The Steelers actually gave more money to Derek Watt today. They signed the fullback to a 3-year, $9.75 million deal. I'm guessing this means Rosie Nix is gone. Watt is a fine replacement and the lack of a fullback certainly hurt in 2019. Maybe having his brother around will help the Steelers lock up T.J. at some point, too.

They also re-signed Banner to a one-year deal and offered a second-round tender to Mike Hilton today.

I don't have a huge issue with all of that put together, but the offensive line is a serious problem right now. I'm guessing the plan is Feiler at left guard and Chucks at right tackle?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That makes sense, but I think it may have also been a matter of the Steelers not being that interested in keeping him. I'm just not sure what the plan is now because they have a hole at left guard or right tackle, whichever Feiler doesn't play, and no sure thing to step up in either spot. They also don't really have any depth up front.

7. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Hilton and Feiler tendered... 2nd rd'ers

• Like Like x 1
  8. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    @Formerscribe i think you are spot on, Feiler at LG and Chuks / Banner at RT, draft and UDFA for depth. Risky

9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Guess that does it for Free Agency then for Pittsburgh. Never expected them to be big players in it anyway. Much of the talent will have to come in the 2020 Draft.

One positive note though is that the team has painted a much clearer picture. Offensive Weapons and depth abound. BPA of course but I would beef up the trenches as a good start if that BPA is there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm guessing that is it as well, but I hope I'm wrong and they at least add a veteran backup on the offensive line.

I'd feel a hell of a lot better about all of it with the exact same moves, but keeping Finney.

11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Interesting....

I know some do not like him but he does possess greater knowledge of what is going on within the team than any of us do. That would telegraph Pittsburghs main draft option even more but leave an even bigger hole.

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Very interesting

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. I doubt Bouchette is just throwing that out there. He's got a source telling him that is an option.

15. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I'm actually hoping somebody bites on that 2nd round tender on Hilton...I like Sutton, and that 2nd rounder would be huge

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    In that 2017 draft I wanted them to draft Godwin over JuJu

17. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Hilton needs to improve in coverage

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    Doubtful anybody will give up a second for him when Chris Harris and others are available. The secondary was actually good last season, I say keep it together if possible.

19. SteelersFanIrl

Mar 3, 2019
    @AskQuestionsLater in relation to comp picks does the Watt signing not effectively cancel out losing Finney? I hope they get a third for Hargrave and maybe a much later one for Vannett but I don’t expect a big haul of comp picks

20. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Derwin Gray is good depth. LT capable. Pretty good feet with some nasty in the run game. Pretty good college tape on him if you have never seen it. The biggest problem is interior backup that can play guard and center. That is needed for game day. :cool:

21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Not likely.

I believe that signing Derek Watt has no bearing on whatever comp we receive in 2021. Too early to speculate of course. However, the numbers currently floating out there around wise is a 3rd and a 5th.

22. uncblue012

uncblue012 Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2017
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I keep hearing talk about Antonio Brown going to the Bucs to play with Tom Brady. Supposedly, Brady actually wants to play with him. I don't think any team needs that headache, but if he can get the league to allow him to play, that could get interesting. I wouldn't be shocked to see Bruce Arians give it a shot.

I checked on the timing and Brown's first two seasons in the league were Arians' last two as Steelers' offensive coordinator.

24. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    Arians also called AB a diva when all the drama was going on with the Steelers, maybe Brady can talk him into signing AB.

25. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Pretty sure Brady is gonna get whatever he wants within reason... or he wouldn’t of signed there.