1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Free agency 2020 thread

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Mar 16, 2020.

1. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    QB Case Keenum signed by the Brownies

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm beginning to think that Kirk Cousins is

A. Has the best agent in sports
    B. Is a financial wizard
    C. Has Jedi powers/or is the antichrist
    D. A silver tongued devil capable of bending space/time.

I mean he parleys two consecutive franchise tags into like 40 million from the Redskins, gets the Vikings to give him 84million all guaranteed and then some how gets them to offer him a 2 year extension with 66 million in new money. Plus he has never advanced his team to a conference championship. WTF.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    You like that!!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Sam Bradford had acquired over $200 Million lifetime when he played in total money. All of which guaranteed. Kirk has done wonders though. That said, he is no Sam Bradford.

Sam Bradford is on another level of unreal.

Correction: $130 Million.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Yes but Bradford benefited from the last great pre rookie salary cap contract. He made some great money before he even stepped on the field but you are right he still managed salary magic even after that. Smokes and mirrors all over the place

6. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

My mistake. Read above.

7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Byron Jones is now going to be the highest paid DB. I would imagine 19 to 20 a year at that. That said, someone like Gilmore is more deserving of that money but that is what happens when the market value of a premium position is so high.

8. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Steelers are going to make some FA moves in the coming weeks. The telltale signs are there. Tagging Dupree, restructuring VM, cutting Chick and Holt the day after the CBA, they're clearing up some NFL cash. Look for them to restructure another biggee [SIC], Hayward and even Ben, then bring one or two in in the 2nd wave (coming weeks).

9. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I really hope they don’t restructure Ben. If he comes back and is done they will be married to him for another year. He would be the last restructure I’d do.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Ben is likely to get restructured at this point. That said, I would hope that Cameron Heyward gets his contract restructured before Ben. Either way, have to free up some money.

11. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    What are the Cards doing? They now have Drake, Hopkins, Fitzgerald & Kirk. We'll find out if Murray is for real.

12. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

They also have a top 10 pick. Better spend that on an Offensive Tackle. If I had to pick one, take Jedrick Willis and do not look back. Jedrick Willis is the most technically sound tackle in the class.

13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016
    Looks like @mac daddyo and @steelersrule6 had a point.

That said, I would rather have Terrell Edmunds in that hybrid role considering he cannot cover to save his life. If not him, it would seem that the Pro Day Dinner with Tanner Muse hinted at something more. For that matter, Jeremy Chinn looks like a possibility also.

That said, it is difficult, if not impossible to tell. Most Pro Days are cancelled and Pittsburgh has suspended operations regarding those Pro Day visits. Who knows what is higher on the priority list defensive wise?!

All that said, I still would opt to go offense in Round 2. Either an Offensive Tackle or Tee Higgins. Either or works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Roonatic

Roonatic Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2017
    I'd like offense in round 2 also. Defense has to be 1st rounders in Tomlin's system.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Mind boggling, then you have Deshaun Watson getting his butt whipped weekly and 'dufass' O'brien trades a top tier WR for a 2nd round pick, and picks up what appears to be an equal monetary contract for a beat up RB.

The Vikes Stephan Diggs made what appeared to be a snide reaction to that extension. He was unhappy last year as well, see how this translate. I know the market sets the price, but sooner or later team mates are going to get sick of all that cap money going to a mediocre QB, and they getting the left overs.

16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Not sexy, but if it works you are set for 10 years. Not bad for a 2nd rounder.

17. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    They still need to have cash for any tender's, and try at least to sign one of their OL.

18. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Gravedigger an iggle

19. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'd prefer offense in round two as well, but I wouldn't be sad in the least if we picked up Antoine Winfield Jr. and paired him with Minkah while moving Edmunds into Barron's old role. I think there would still be some very good interior line talent for us in the third round in that scenario (although Ruiz, whom I really like, would be gone I would imagine).

• Like Like x 1
  20. BuckeyeBucco

BuckeyeBucco Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    My magic 8 ball isn't so hazy, and here is why. They actually learned from their mistakes last year. Most of my coworkers are Browns fans, and I told them all along that the organization should have hired Williams and kept Kitchens as their offensive coordinator, but they fell in love with Freddie's hype. Now they've corrected course and brought in a head coach who loves to run the football, which they'll be able to do very effectively with a stable of Chubb and Hunt and a revamped line featuring a very good tackle in Conklin and what will likely be a top-ten pick playing the other tackle position. This improved line and running game will also open up more opportunities for Mayfield to get the ball to his now more potent array of weapons in Landry, Beckham, and Hooper. Meanwhile, it will be more difficult for our defense to attack Baker on the edge because of their upgrades at tackle while our interior d-line got weaker today by losing Hargrave.

Like I said, if Ben isn't fully healthy, I don't think we're likely to stay ahead of them in the division. We may not be able to even if he is.

21. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They absolutely have to go offence in round two, BPA at offensive line or running back probably gives you the best chance of finding a starter / impact player for 2020. Tight ends and receivers can take more time, although we have seen some really good receivers make an impact year one lately.

22. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I've been waiting for over a decade to have the Browns get better and make the rivalry games more like during the 90's when the Browns could actually win and every year its they corrected mistakes, they got some great talent and the needle is pointing up then they clean house with the staff and start all over. If Stefanski goes power run OBJ and Landry will put, Mayfield wasn't drafted to hand the ball off 40 times and they didn't waste money on Hooper and Conklin to be ripping holes in the line. Too many egos on that team to run an unselfish run first offense. I'm thinking that Keenum will be playing by midseason

As for Conklin and Hubbard slowing down Watt, Heyward and hopefully a healthy Tuitt as will as Bush and Vwill while trying to keep Nelson, Haden and Minkah from feasting on his throws I'll believe it when it happens. But yes a healthy Ben or a new approach at QB for MR is needed to be competitive in the division as well.

Edit: The Browns gonna Brown and the Bungels will Bungel. Just Ravens and Steelers slugging it out same as always

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    You know what's eerie? No word about Artie Burns. Is he done, is he visiting with teams, is it going to be a draft bust that guys on the board throw out every time there is a debate on Tomlin and KC?

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Diggs to the Bills. Bills building a real good team but Vikes got a haul for it:

1st
    5th
    6th
    4th in 2021

• Informative Informative x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Ravens get Brockers and Calais Campbell, they also have like 5 picks in the first 2 rounds :facepalm:.