1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

fox

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Mar 3, 2012.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    would fox be a good pickup in free agency? he knows the system here. he doesn't have alot of wear and tear on him even at 30 and he's a decent ST's player. i thought he did quite well when asked to play while he was here. yea, he had one brain cramp in his last game with the personal foul but other then that he was pretty decent , even in coverage. i don't think he would cost all that much. thoughts? :cool:

2. CANTON STEEL

CANTON STEEL Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I thought he was rather good on ST's

3. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Only if you drop Foote, or don't draft an ILB early in the draft.

HACK

4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd have no problem dropping foote. :thumbs_up: :cool:

5. TheWanderer

TheWanderer Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    fox was an enigma to me. he absolutely shined each preseason while here and then played well when called upon during the regular season. the win over favre's vikings at heinz stands out. he seemed like he was being groomed to take over one of the ILB spots and then, next thing you know, he just kind of disappeared. i don't get it. i always liked him so, yeah, i'd be up for bringing him back. i just wish i understood why we got rid of him in the first place.

6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i agree with ya. it surely wasen't that one play at the end of the season. i'm not sure if evrytime they thought about keeping him farrior picked up his game enough to scratch another year out of him , or foote played better then he had ever before for a couple of games, or sylvester looked like he was going to take over soon. just not sure but i would like to see him back. with timmons, fox,sylvester and ivy, or a draft pick , i could see this spot not as much of a problem. :cool:

7. black hat

black hat Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fox was always a gamer. I'd love to see him back.

8. TheSteelHurtin2188

TheSteelHurtin2188 Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Remember when timmons was hurt and we played at Tennessee fox had 11 tackles that game. He seems to much like kemo a lot of talent but nothing upstairs

9. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Fox had a multiple personal foul/penalty game.....The fans were in an uproar (just like with Kemo).....it was assumed that the Coaches were tired of their ST captain making multiple mistakes.

Plus word was he wanted more playing time....that was a few years ago...he might be more than willing to come back in at his backup/ST role

HACK

10. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Fox > Foote

He played so well in relief of Timmons in '09 that people (wrongly) wanted him to keep the job. Foote has never had that effect on anyone. Fox had that killer penalty in the SB, but other than that I don't remember him being a problem. Nothing like Kemo. I'd like us to draft an ILB early, cut Foote, and sign Fox. Fox is a good #3 and could ease the transition to the rookie if necessary. And he's got to come cheaper than Foote, and is better on ST.

Won't happen though. Without Farrior, the coaches will insist on keeping Foote for some consistency/leadership.

11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    People were high on Fox, but he is not even good enough to be a starter for the Redskins, he was a starter, but then was quickly demoted.

To me it is a wash:
    Fox=Foote

They both play the run well enough, but that is about it....

12. Boomer

Boomer Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    I was surprised when the Steelers released him. I thought he was a decent enough player to keep around and he seemed to want to stay in Pitsburgh.

13. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Does anyone know what's he been doing since he was released?

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    As far as I know he plays for the Redskins and will be a Free agent come March 13th.

15. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    I didn't mind Fox as a player here, he played a great role for us, but I think the FO needs to wait until AFTER the draft to make to many more decisions.

First, if you draft a ILB, I would much rather Foote be there to teach him the D, not Fox. Fox was a good special team guy, but Foote has been a starter for this D and he knows when and where to go. He may not have the skill that the new draftee has, but he knows the mental part of the D.

Second, the same could be said about bringing in a UFA ILB. Whoever that player is Foote knows more about the D than Fox does.

Third, if you don't end up drafting a guy, you may look to Fox to be Foote's backup. He knows more about the D than most other UFA ILBs would and he does play well on special teams.

To sum up, if you need someone to teach the D, I would rather have Foote than Fox. Fox is a role player backup.

16. WWW

WWW Writing Team

Oct 24, 2011
    He plays for the Redskins. Not sure what his contract status ir right now.
    I'll be glad to have him back

17. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    He hasn't been good enough to start anywhere. Here, Washington, or KC. The guy is a career backup and ST'er. Not what we need. Fox is highly overrated by some people on this MB and if we were in a position to need Fox to start at ILB at the start of the season, then we are in deep doodoo at ILB.

18. TarheelFlyer

TarheelFlyer Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    If we somehow don't take a ILB in the draft, I would have no problem with Fox coming back for some depth with Sylvester on special teams and Foote and Timmons starting, but ideally we draft a starter. I truly think Hightower is our pick this year. I could be wrong and barking up the wrong tree, but I truly think he is our guy.

19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As some have said he played the run pretty well and was a good ST guy,he just made a lot of mental errors like Hack stated...

I say no to bringing him back and mainly because of the pass catching TE'S he would have to face.....I think we need a faster better coverage type of guy.......I still wished we would have made a move for Taylor Mays IMO he can play LB and the SS spot,,,I think he would be a ideal guy to cover those big strong and fast TE'S........

Anyway I think that is the type of LB the new rules and the skill sets will require....IMO it is time to think outside the Box and look for a big SS who has coverage skills to move into the LB spot.......

20. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Lets give a young guy a chance, Sylvester Stevenson should be
    starting in lieu of Foote right NOW.

21. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    My prediction is that if we get an ILB in the draft, he sits for a year or two whilst Sly, Foote or Fox do a "medium to good" job of it.

22. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i thought fox did a better job in coverage then against the run. :shrug: :cool:

23. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    No thanks ! I seem to remember a couple of very costly penalties on special teams, that he was supposed to be captain of. Time to move forward not back.

24. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    james harrison has had costly penalties too, but we don't get rid of him. making foote the new starter is not moving forward either but back. the question is can he play better than sly and ivy and foote at this point? :shrug: :cool:

25. Thigpen82

Oct 17, 2011
    I completely forgot about Ivy... the guy with the best first name on the team, sounds like he's straight from the Addams family... I thought he played OLB though? The Steelers website just has the backups as "LB", not specific inside or outside.