1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Foster on the roughing of Bell...

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Lizard72, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2016
    This is the crap that should get unsportsmanlike calls, not a safety lighting up a receiver coming across the middle.

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I absolutely LOVED what Foster did here! Jack Lambert would be proud.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I agree, some of the crap the NFL lets go just blows my mind. Just watch when a runner gets stopped how many people are in the pile. I see so many times guys jump on top and never get flagged. They are starting to get the guys coming in and "cleaning up" the piles but so much more could be called like what we saw with Bell. Also you listen to some of the former players and nobody has anything good to say about what happens on the bottom of the pile. Nobody sees that so the NFL don't care

5. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Or a receiver pumping his hips three times instead of twice.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  6. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I don't disagree with the sentiment. But what would you say in a tight game to determine the division and playoff berth that draws a penalty and costs the steelers the game?

7. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It's a good point. I guess Foster's thinking that it's making a statement for the rest of the season (particularly thinking of certain teams left to play) that they shouldn't try that ****.

Play-offs aren't the time for statements, though, they're times for wins. Hopefully Foster has the experience to know that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm glad they are sticking up for Bell and getting a nasty edge when someone roughs up a teammate bug how about channeling some of that into regular game play. You rip holes in the defensive line and get up field to block than you don't have to worry so much about Bell getting cheap shots in the pile. Play with a chip on your shoulder and beat the guy across from you so much he needs a breather. Show me that and I'm with you Foster.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. BigSteel

BigSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2011
    So you're saying a lineman should run faster than Bell and stay ahead of him to block? That's a hell of a chip

10. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    I really was not a fan of Foster for many years. But I have to say that under the tutelage of Munch he's really come into his own as a player. He's one of the most solidly consistent players on the line. I am all for sticking up for his players. I just kind of wish others would have had Bell's back too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Nope I'm saying make your block and slide into the next level and get another. They don't have to pull a Pouncey and run 30 yards down field with Bell but they also don't have to be a Kemo from a few years ago where they sell out to make a block on a tiny SS and then sit there admiring their handiwork . Play the game beat your man and then look for the next block., best way to defend your teammate isn't to fight the other team but dominate them. force your will upon them, let Bell destroy them running the ball through gaping holes you have opened .

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. bigsteelerfaninky

bigsteelerfaninky Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    You've got to stand up for your guy
    If it costs you a playoff spot
    That's ok you can get that next year (if one flag costs U a spot u probably don't deserve it anyway)
    Now way do you let a brother get treated like that at the bottom of a pile

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NY STEELERFAN

NY STEELERFAN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Wow I am not really sure how to respond. I get what your saying or at least meaning but if you think for one second Foster isn't trying your wrong. I also don't think any of this has to do with how good or bad a lineman is playing. This is about sticking up for your guy when he is getting cheap shotted in a pile. I think the line play has been pretty good and lets not forget if the guy across from him is playing with a chip on his shoulder Foster may need a break. We are talking about NFL players not High School or pee wee's these guys on the field have talent it isn't as easy as playing with a chip.......

14. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I understand your point, but a lot of the chippiness started towards the end of the game when the Giants realized they were getting dominated. Cheap shots were the only way they could retaliate. Dirty players will always play dirty too, so there's that. I thought defending their teammate was the right thing to do under the circumstances and the whole thing is a non-issue to me because Foster did step in. Why there was no flag is a good question though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    [February 5, 2017: Associated Press] In an unprecedented move, the NFL has declined to award the Pittsburgh Steelers the Lombardi Trophy after their victory over the Dallas Cowboys in Super Bowl LI earlier this evening because they sucked early in the season in inexcusable losses to Philadelphia and Miami. Instead, the Lombardi Trophy will be awarded to the 1-15 Cleveland Browns for exceeding all expectations by winning a single game in their Week 14 upset win over the Cincinnati Bengals. When asked to comment, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said "yeah... ___ the Steelers. I can't stand those guys. And I'm telling you, I WILL catch James Harrison one of these days. I mean, the guy is almost as old as I am and he can take my head right off my shoulders with his pinky. There's something seriously ___ed up going on there." Speaking from New England Patriots HQ in Foxboro, MA, Goodell further commented that in the future the NFL will use a BCS-style ranking system to determine Super Bowl participants. "If we leave it to the players on the field, strange things can happen. We have to take the outcome out of the players hands' to ensure that we get the Super Bowl out of their hands and ensure that we always get the best matchup. The fans were unfairly denied the angry Brady redemption story they so deserved."

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. blountforcetrauma

blountforcetrauma Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    I would say "Dang it Mike Mitchell!!!" LOL!

17. pellynch14

pellynch14 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    That is the crap the NFL needs to cut down on and get out of the game. What Foster did is what I would want every player doing. That is a guy who plays for his team and that is the kind of guy who wins you championships

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I loved what Foster did. That's what good teammates do for one another. Sometimes you have to stick up for your friends. I don't mind wven if it is a playoff game. Basically any scenario outside of a final drive in a playoff game/super bowl you need to stick up for him. 15 yards isn't the end of the world

19. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    You sound like Danny Smith.
    :hehehe:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Guest

Guest Guest

Good on Foster. It's nice seeing someone stepping up with unselfishness, integrity and morals.

21. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Foster did the right thing. Now his teammates should pinch in to help pay his fine from the NFL. The fine is totally a shame in comparison to what some others do. The fine should be on the Giants player trying to turn Bells head around in the pile.

22. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    I am totally with Foster. There is a fine line here though. You cannot retaliate after the fact or lose your cool; but absolutely you intervene when they are actively doing that to your guy and deal with the ramifications despite the stakes.

In my opinion why even have bell in the game during that situation

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Rambro

Rambro Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I agree, stand up move by Foster. I remember a few years back when Richard Seymore punched Ben in the head after a td pass. I was in disbelief when everyone just stood around after it happened. Never want to see anything like that again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Nice copy/paste

• Like Like x 1
  25. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011
    Foster should have got a flag for that move lol. I was shocked the refs missed it or they saw it and felt like throwing him down was deserving lol