1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

forced retirement of Polamalu killed the 2ndary

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by fbsketcher, Dec 3, 2018.

1. fbsketcher

fbsketcher Active Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Ever since the Steelers forced our greatest legend into retirement our secondary has been awful. We have no threat to stop anything that gets a head of steam or 10yard plus throw. We need a Polamalu junior . Blitzburgh is fantastic, but if the opponent gets past the oncoming first wave their gone.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  2. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Polamalu was awful at the end of his career. Him being forced into retirement was a mercy killing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    I'm guessing you are a young person since your claiming Troy was our greatist legend... but yea our 2ndary scks and has for a long time

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Stop smoking crack dude........... Troy was ranked last in his position in the entire league his last year............ He was brutal to watch............

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Surely your not suggesting that had he stayed on the secondary would have been better?

Polamalu was great, but he wasn't at the end.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. fbsketcher

fbsketcher Active Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Nope been a fan since 75 , yea the true steel curtain era. I know and am fan of the 70's terror that roamed the hallowed 3 rivers.

The agents and $$$$ would slice the achilles of the Lamberts , Hams and Greenes if they played today.

But Polamalu was and always will be a legend , an anomaly .

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. tyler christopher

tyler christopher Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Thats great..... him and Ike taylor are the sole reason we lost to friggin tim tebow in denver.... He should not have been on the field.......

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Um, the secondary sucked with/without him in his final couple of seasons. Had nothing to do with him leaving. He was just that question mark that opposing offenses had to account for when game planning (not as much as earlier in his career).

Or are we forgetting Stone Hands Ike "Big Swaggin When the QB overthrows my man" Taylor?

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    43 was brutal the last two seasons. He was always the most instinctual player I'd ever seen and those instincts betrayed him once he lost a step due to age and nagging injuries. He took angles that in his younger days led to the ball carrier, but in his last season led to ball carrier blowing by him. Hell, in the last season the staff had him playing more like a LB just to close the distance.

All-time great player and class act who stayed a year or two too long.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Iowasteeljim

Iowasteeljim

Oct 26, 2011
    All-time great player and class act who stayed a year or two too long.

This is something my wife has said to me a few times lately!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    No, I'd say pushing out a legend like LeBeau for this clueless clown, Butler killed this defense and a lot of peoples respect for this team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Yeah.... no.

What is killing the Steelers secondary right now is the decisions made by Butler. He is the one responsible for calling the shots on defense if I recall.

Even if Troy was in his absolute prime, Keith would likely have fumbled his abilities as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. BobbyBiz

BobbyBiz Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I disagree. I think it was the forcing out of Levon Kirkland. That's when they started the downhill skid.

14. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    He was shot to pieces. Steelers did him a favor and saved him damage. He needs to stop being butt hurt and get over it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Troy was done, when they released him.

16. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    What's killing our secondary happens every year at the draft.

17. AFranco

AFranco Member

Dec 3, 2018
    You must have not seen his last season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    And what happens shortly thereafter when our DB coach gets hold of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DukeDukeDaDaDa

DukeDukeDaDaDa Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Please. Lebeau's defenses got picked apart just the same as Butler's. If anything Butler's defense sucks because he learned under him. They need to divorce themselves from that regime entirely.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I thought Tomlin was a calling the defense. He's supposed to be a defensive guru which got him hired. I don't know what our defensive stats are but I think they are not all that bad overall. What the D has is situational failure that includes: failing to get a turnover or splash plays, stopping the run in the 2nd qtr, preventing big plays, preventing teams from scoring on every offensive possession in the second half, running into each other in the end zone giving teams a TD. You know, things like that. In other words, when you really need them to step up, they can't/don't/ won't/ etc.

21. mcam

mcam Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2017
    Most players at their position have 8 to 10 years tops. You have to be able to replace the talent of players lost.

I think Terrell Edmunds will prove to be a good player in time. Not sure what happened to Artie, but he's been having a terrible year. That was a gamble of a pick that didn't work out.

22. fbsketcher

fbsketcher Active Member

Aug 25, 2015
    OK, well how about this have we seen a secondary as good as when Troy was in his prime? no. its a big gaping wasteland back there.

Yes, coaching , yes players all to blame. but who has stepped up to match 770 tackles, 12 sacks and 32 intercepts , 3 returns for td.

Can we disagree that this is perhaps our weakest part of the team right now.

23. TheTerribleOwl

TheTerribleOwl Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2017
    They were suffering from not having prime Polamalu even when old Polamalu was still on the team. He was done and needed replacing even if he had hung on another year.

24. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    secondary has been the weakest link for years now

25. sjromano

Nov 3, 2011
    Troy in his prime was the only reason the secondary wasn't torched every week. Our secondary has been bad for quite some time, he was just a freak that had a knack for being a game changer.