1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

For those who think we have a shot at Bell next year....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by jamboxmusic, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Wasn't it all hung up on gaurentees?

This value is way more important then total contract in the NFL because they are not fully guaranteed but let's not get into that issue.

Edit: my B didn't read down the page far enough. Point made by others

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    Too bad his mission wasn't to win a a title....

As for everyone justifying what Bell is doing by using guaranteed money as legitimate proof that Bell is right, you are all missing one very common sense issue, albeit one the NFL and other sports groups have been making for years. Why guarantee any player anything without results? No other occupation except maybe actor guarantees salary without results. We all get a salary but are expected to meet certain expectations and if we don't we get fired. And before anyone says that athletes can get fired too, real world people don't deal in the sums that athletes do. With the kind of money athletes deal in, there is no way I guarantee any of them anything unless they produce on the field, otherwise where is the incentive to perform? Since winning is no longer a concern for many of today's athletes, I would eliminate all guarantees and say you make money when you perform. The stars that this would effect are already making more in one year than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes, I don't think it too much to ask that a few of those millions be based on in-season performance.

This is vaguely reminiscent of how rookie contracts used to work where every year the top pick got paid more and more without ever proving himself while proven veterans were making less. I know I am in the minority, as most people have, for some reason, bought into believing that the players deserve all this money no matter what. I'm all for paying Bell what he wants in terms of numbers, but I would always make that money contingent upon meeting performance goals. In the real world, bonuses and extra pay comes from doing the work not on the potential of the work.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't know what profession you work in, but in the corporate and medical world ... salaries and guaranteed money is negotiated all the time. Even when fired, we either get a corporate buyout or incentive package. Both are paid of the remaining contract monies

4. Jares

Jares Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2016
    So you are saying that in the corporate and medical world that you get paid guaranteed money upfront for work you may never do? Sign me up for that.

Look, I am not saying the guy shouldn't get paid, I just don't like guaranteed money, not in the amounts we are talking about. That's not even considering that Bell could retire at the end of this year and the money he made on the two-years he was tagged alone would set anybody up for life. He's not going to be hurting even if he never receives another paycheck so let's quit buying into the "this is about long-term security" line. If you can't live comfortably on what he's already been paid then he is wasting money. But, like I said, pay him what he wants...if he produces.

5. SteelHaven

SteelHaven Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Who cares..

Let him go. Good riddance

• Like Like x 1
  6. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012
    Your buyout or incentive package pales in comparison to the dead money teams lose in these players mega million guarantees if they get injured or released....

7. Cobalt7

Cobalt7 Active Member

Jul 27, 2018
    The disconnect is centered at Adisa Bakari. Our Kevin Colbert carries the Rooney's trust into negotiations and they allow him great latitude. Bakari likes splashy interviews and ESPN attention, but I doubt he cares about Le'Veon Bell. If he did, a Steeler Deal would have been sealed.

8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Just stop. This makes no sense. They don't have enough at running back without him and there is nowhere else to spend the money for this season.

9. pjgruden

pjgruden

Oct 16, 2011
    Okay, I've read multiple threads and pages on the Bell situation. What I don't understand/can't wrap my head around are the people that think that Bell should get a large portion of the future contract guaranteed. Why would any team guarantee a contract of a player who is one drug infraction away from a mandatory minimum year suspension? Maybe Bell has turned his life around and will be on the straight and narrow for the rest of his career. But, maybe he won't. And if I'm a GM, I can't in good conscience tie up that much money on a player who might be gone for the entire season due to their own stupidity.
    Now, if the player wanted to sign something that waived all guarantees if they're suspended for off the field activities, that's a different story. I just don't think that Bell would sign that deal.
    Do I think ultimately Bell will find someone to pay more than what the Steelers have offered? Yes. It'll probably be the Jets. And I suspect that his yards per carry/reception will sink even more because he has no one else to take the heat off of him on offense.

10. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Ben turned his life around and he had a motorcycle accident, two or more rape allegations, countless injuries, and a suspension. Hmmm .... and got the big contract. Look, I'm not the one to go trick for tack with my fellow steelernation family ... but, with all that you have mentioned bad about Bell. Ask yourself this question ... did he produce on the field? If you don't want to pay the man then fine. He will find the contract that he seeks elsewhere. I think as steeler fans, we have become so spoiled that .... we think that any position or player is replaceable. This type of player doesn't come along that often. Take your personal feelings out of the situation and understand ....business. Because, when it's all said and done, it's none our money that is being dished out anyway... lol

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  11. lamberts lunatic

lamberts lunatic Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I could be wrong but isn't Gurley 24 and Bell 27 yeas old? Makes sense for the Rams. We will run Bell's butt of this year then send him away at 28 years old. He will probably get his money elsewhere with some team with a bad O line. Will probably go into obscurity. He will miss out on being a Steeler icon which we all know is gold in Pittsburgh.

12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Ben’s contract was the going rate at the time. He wasn’t asking for almost double what any other quarterback was making. He also wasn’t making rap songs complaining about his contract situation. I don’t remember Ben skipping training camp either. He also didn’t have a drug problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You're missing the point .... he didn't have to do any of that because he was giving top dollar inspite of injuries and a tainted past. Smh ... is there any fairness in this world anymore?! I'm done with this topic ... wow. We wish bad things to happened to our own players ...wow

14. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    No you’re missing the point.
    What Bell wants is very unreasonable.

• Agree Agree x 2