1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

for all u who want 3 yards and a cloud of dust read this

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by lersgofor7, Feb 8, 2012.

1. 12to88

12to88 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Re: for all u who want 3 yards and a cloud of dust read thi

Thats right its all about "mindset" doesnt matter if we are averaging lets say 1.6 yds per carry...as long as we show we are tougher than the other team and show them the "steeler way" thats the right thing to do...while the other team is throwing for 300+ yds a game...as long as we impose our will on them thats all that matters?? that doesnt get it done in the NFL anymore sorry....

mindset alone doesnt win football games.... some people just cant get over that...[/quote:2ybaclog]

1. Nobody is talking about mindset "alone"
    2. I'm pretty sure the NY Giants had a pretty good "impose our will" attitude during the playoffs and that is why they're the champs
    3. Running the ball is still pretty damn important in this league
    4. Ask yourself why the godfathers of the modern NFL offense, the Houston Oilers of the 1990s, couldn't win jack. In Fact, ask yourself how they lost a 32-point halftime lead in the playoffs.
    5. I'd argue that the Steeler way ought to be 30 rushes for 130 yards and 35 pass attempts for 270 yards and a 34-26 TOP advantage...NOT 15 rushes for 30 yards and 50 pass attempts for 300 yards.[/quote:2ybaclog]

Steelers Off. Averages

27 rushes for 120 ydpg 33 att for 253 ydpg[/quote:2ybaclog]

Part of that statement was hyperbole. But regardless, you can't go off of averages. Instead, look at the stats in individual games and the results. In the Steelers 5 losses:

16-66 / 41-280
    22-118 / 30-206
    20-70 / 37-330
    19-84 / 44-330
    23-156 / 40-289

In each of these losses, the Steelers failed to run the ball more than 25 times. Now, circumstances dictate this. But the Baltimore loss, which I have boldfaced, is the most telling in terms of NOT being committed to the run, contributing to a loss.

I would argue that the Steelers' three most impressive wins were vs. Tennessee, at Arizona, and vs, New England. Here are those numbers:

28-174 / 35-261
    28-91 / 39-361
    23-98 / 50-365

With the exception of the Pats game, the Steelers were more committed to running the ball in these games. The Steelers BEST game of the year was vs. Tennessee: those numbers have been boldfaced. Throw in the very good home wins vs Seattle, Cincy, and St. Louis (without Ben) and you'll see similar numbers.

2. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

Thats right its all about "mindset" doesnt matter if we are averaging lets say 1.6 yds per carry...as long as we show we are tougher than the other team and show them the "steeler way" thats the right thing to do...while the other team is throwing for 300+ yds a game...as long as we impose our will on them thats all that matters?? that doesnt get it done in the NFL anymore sorry....

mindset alone doesnt win football games.... some people just cant get over that...[/quote:2pfqlnqr]

2. I'm pretty sure the NY Giants had a pretty good "impose our will" attitude during the playoffs and that is why they're the champs
    4. Ask yourself why the godfathers of the modern NFL offense, the Houston Oilers of the 1990s, couldn't win jack. In Fact, ask yourself how they lost a 32-point halftime lead in the playoffs.
    5. I'd argue that the Steeler way ought to be 30 rushes for 130 yards and 35 pass attempts for 270 yards and a 34-26 TOP advantage...NOT 15 rushes for 30 yards and 50 pass attempts for 300 yards.[/quote:2pfqlnqr]

Steelers Off. Averages

27 rushes for 120 ydpg 33 att for 253 ydpg[/quote:2pfqlnqr]

Part of that statement was hyperbole. But regardless, you can't go off of averages. Instead, look at the stats in individual games and the results. In the Steelers 5 losses:

16-66 / 41-280
    22-118 / 30-206
    20-70 / 37-330
    19-84 / 44-330
    23-156 / 40-289

In each of these losses, the Steelers failed to run the ball more than 25 times. Now, circumstances dictate this. But the Baltimore loss, which I have boldfaced, is the most telling in terms of NOT being committed to the run, contributing to a loss.

I would argue that the Steelers' three most impressive wins were vs. Tennessee, at Arizona, and vs, New England. Here are those numbers:

28-174 / 35-261
    28-91 / 39-361
    23-98 / 50-365

With the exception of the Pats game, the Steelers were more committed to running the ball in these games. The Steelers BEST game of the year was vs. Tennessee: those numbers have been boldfaced. Throw in the very good home wins vs Seattle, Cincy, and St. Louis (without Ben) and you'll see similar numbers.[/quote:2pfqlnqr]

there is probebly alot more that goes into certain games too as far as what linemen were injured and who was playing what position up front into deciding how much a team plans to run or pass. with no confidence in pass blocking abilities of some guys we could have seen more runs as opposed to passes. even against teams that defend one or the other better. i know he spews the standard is the standard, i'm not sure, but i would think this plays into some of it. alot of the reason we need to get some players in here that do both equally well to eliminate us having to factor this into our offense game to game. :cool:

3. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011

I agree, Mac. Our line has for two or three seasons now been the proverbial revolving door with injuries. Jeez, I think even Phil Simms mentioned it once. And if Simms has noticed it, it must be very, very obvious.

No matter what "mindset" or gameplan you have, if the line isn't there, there won't be any consistency.

4. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

they had 2 total rushing TDs in the playoffs....one was when they were up 30-20 against GB
    the other was the bradshaw TD

ppl need to do their HW before posting[/quote:mvx8nvig]

generally the giants are an efficient running team. jacobs was injured a good bit. gilbride was smart enough to know most teams were going to try and stop them from running and went to a passing game that caught alot of teams off guard so to speak. it worked effectively. they still ran the ball effectively enough and have a reputation of running it effectively, to open up the passing game. bradshaw is a good all around back that they did use in the passing game too over the last couple of years, again they made teams cheat up to watch for him in either the passing game or the run game and went over their heads with the ball. it worked well.

that's what i'm hoping we can start doing, keeping other teams guessing as to what we will do. it makes it very difficult to defense. you have to be efficent enough at doing both to make it work, something we didn't do enough of with BA. that's why he's gone. talking about balance isn't always about 50-50. it's more of like our 70's teams. we can beat you however we need to, because we can do both and show it to teams. :cool:[/quote:mvx8nvig]

they were last in the league?? thats not very efficient...

efficient = Achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense...

5. lersgofor7

lersgofor7 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011

mindset alone doesnt win football games.... some people just cant get over that...[/quote:3bqadk10]

5. I'd argue that the Steeler way ought to be 30 rushes for 130 yards and 35 pass attempts for 270 yards and a 34-26 TOP advantage...NOT 15 rushes for 30 yards and 50 pass attempts for 300 yards.[/quote:3bqadk10]

Steelers Off. Averages

27 rushes for 120 ydpg 33 att for 253 ydpg[/quote:3bqadk10]

16-66 / 41-280
    22-118 / 30-206
    20-70 / 37-330
    19-84 / 44-330
    23-156 / 40-289

28-174 / 35-261
    28-91 / 39-361
    23-98 / 50-365

With the exception of the Pats game, the Steelers were more committed to running the ball in these games. The Steelers BEST game of the year was vs. Tennessee: those numbers have been boldfaced. Throw in the very good home wins vs Seattle, Cincy, and St. Louis (without Ben) and you'll see similar numbers.[/quote:3bqadk10]

good point, but what specific games were the ones you mentioned....were they down early? did they have to throw a lot to get back in them?

you could break it down even further that way...

6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

generally the giants are an efficient running team. jacobs was injured a good bit. gilbride was smart enough to know most teams were going to try and stop them from running and went to a passing game that caught alot of teams off guard so to speak. it worked effectively. they still ran the ball effectively enough and have a reputation of running it effectively, to open up the passing game. bradshaw is a good all around back that they did use in the passing game too over the last couple of years, again they made teams cheat up to watch for him in either the passing game or the run game and went over their heads with the ball. it worked well.

that's what i'm hoping we can start doing, keeping other teams guessing as to what we will do. it makes it very difficult to defense. you have to be efficent enough at doing both to make it work, something we didn't do enough of with BA. that's why he's gone. talking about balance isn't always about 50-50. it's more of like our 70's teams. we can beat you however we need to, because we can do both and show it to teams. :cool:[/quote:29au5gl3]

they were last in the league?? thats not very efficient...

efficient = Achieving maximum productivity with minimum wasted effort or expense...[/quote:29au5gl3]
    i'm not just talking about this one season. they have been a good running team for several years. they ran less this year. they had injuries. they were behind alot during one stretch. yes they were last in the league, right below our new OC's team by less then half a yard. they were however 6th in rushing TD's though. they ran more in the PO's. :cool:

7. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012

they had 2 total rushing TDs in the playoffs....one was when they were up 30-20 against GB
    the other was the bradshaw TD

ppl need to do their HW before posting[/quote:md3ntvo0]

It's not about the amount of TDs scored directly from the run, rather it's about how the run complements and assist in the pass too! When Bradshaw's healthy you can't ignore him and just go all in against the pass. He was hurt a large part of the season, but still when in helped their total scoring ability tons.