1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Food for Thought

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by PWP, Aug 8, 2016.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Just a little info on a former Steelers WR who has made the switch to CB...I thought it would be a good share as he was on this roster trying to make it as a WR ...As I stated this is going to start happening more and more as Teams get stacked at the WR and have WR'S with DB type skills..

Does this mean that every WR with size and speed can be a DB ?No it certainly does not...What it does mean is if you think he has no shot of making the 53 as a WR then it is prudent to at least take a glance at him as a DB ....

WR'S know the routes if the have the physical tools and a nasty enough mentality they can switch to DB and be fruitful in most cases ....I do not want to switch my boy now as he has carved out a role as a WR , but I still stand behind the fact that he could play FS in the NFL ,,,esp. in what was a very weak Steelers secondary ...

Here is the link...http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/former-steelers-wr-c-j-goodwin-now-impressing-falcons-cb/

I seen this very thing happen in HS ball when Teams left the power running game and went to spread multiple WR looks,what happens is a shortage of talent playing at the DB spots and a abundance of talent playing at the WR spots ....Some of those WR'S are better suited to play DB'S , but if you want to go 5 wide then you need more WR'S which usually forces a skilled player to play a position that maybe is not his true position....And yes a lot of those will be College WR'S as well....

2. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    You know what the first response other than mine is going to be PWP is that he just started playing wr so it wasn't a huge jump for him to switch to CB.

3. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not sure what you mean ? He played his HS ball as a WR and his College ball as a WR ...How is that different than any other College WR switching to DB from WR ?

Another main point was our staff needs to be open to such things as well ..Do you not agree with that ? As a Steeler fan I wished we would have tried him at CB..

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    These things are one in a million. It's not everyday guys just switch positions and thrive. I don't mind that we never tried him at CB. There's no guarantee he even makes the roster as a CB. At the end of the day we could invest our time in a guy that's never played CB or a guy who has his whole life.... We need to be smart about who we invest our time in. If we did this for every failed WR we could miss out on a UDFA or a late round kid who we could've had instead.

5. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    In the article he says he has only been a WR recently I assumed that meant that he didn't have a long established career of playing ball at the WR position. Many of those who opposed the idea when you brought it up the first time talked about the difficulty that would be inherent in going from one to the other if all you have ever played is one position. This article seems to suggest that he hadn't been at one position long so switching was no big deal so my point was that your theory would meet resistance based on that.

6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not a waste if he is on the practice squad as a WR and we have no depth at CB or the depth we have lacks the skills to play the position..Or a guy like Sweed who was faster than most got open all the time , but couldn't make the Catch..That is the type of player to check out as a DB ...

If we had stellar DB'S then yes it might be a waste of time , but when they are average at best why not take some reps from them and see if another guy looks any better ?

I predict that CJ will start at CB and will probably play better than any of our CB'S ..If that happens or anything close to that then we missed the boat ...

Also I will add not just any WR ..Just guys that show they like contact, they can run fast, they can jump high, they understand routes and route combos, they check their ego at the door, guys that give 110 percent effort on every play esp. when blocking away from the play,,they run every route at full speed and run back to the huddle, they are willing to do anything that the Coach ask of them..

This will eliminate most potential converts as most will never measure up ,but if you find 1 that does it's Great Coaching to try and find a spot he fits....Not a waste of time at all...It's called Coaching.....

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As far as I know WR is the only position he has played in his Football career...

8. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Troy Brown beeches
    i know BFT is only going to chalk it up to the brilliance of bellicheat
    but
    it did happen
    i seent it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Man, if only we had seen the brilliance in putting Ike in at WR....

I can't change font from an iPad hahahahaha

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
  10. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    If this was food for thought, I'm still hungry

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I'll give you this, when you get on something you don't get off of it.

13. tangofoxwhiskey

tangofoxwhiskey Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Maybe take a big, strong, fast guy on the roster that we can't currently use, and:

Get him a wig, fake tats, prosthetic nose, fake diploma from Timbuktu Community College, and a photo shopped image of their team with him as a 7th string DB, and a quick name change. I give you rookie DB Bryant Martavis, Pittsburgh Steelers.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think DHB needs to go on a 25,000 calorie per day diet and become the fastest 325 lb. nose tackle in NFL history. But that's just me....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. turtle

turtle

Jan 14, 2015
    I think the Steelers are not opposed to try players out at new positions. Look at AV and on a smaller scale Arthur Moats (IIRC he was an inside backer at Buffalo??) Probably just a case by case situation. If you have a young developmental guy you'd probably want to give him all the coaching you could at their present position unless something really stood out to you.

16. darcrav

darcrav Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2012
    we already have Ben who plays punter not bad

but when we went the other way Berry trying to be Ben AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH.

17. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    You're right. If you have a player who shows he's more than capable of excelling at another position then yeah. But it shouldn't be a formula you use as PWP wants it to be.

Side note: AV played part of his sophomore and entire junior year of college at left tackle.

18. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    guys change positions all the time. AV, the kid thats the backup tackle from BC was a DE. heck heath was a HS QB. alot of these guys are athletes and if they have the brains they can play many positions if we had the time to work with them at it but thats the problem. time and limited numbers of players on a team in the NFL.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly..TY Mac ..And all I am saying is maybe we should make time if need be....We have not proved that we can draft great CB'S/Safeties lately so missing on CJ is a bit of a mistake if he pans out...All I am really saying is don't leave any stone unturned to find talent esp. if the group you have at a position is not playing like they have talent...

20. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Tony Dungy was a college QB. You never know till you try.

21. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Maybe Eli Rogers can play CB :shrug:

22. GoalLine

GoalLine

Oct 16, 2011
    Is it steak? I really hope it is steak although ribs would be acceptable too.

23. Diamond

Diamond Well-Known Member

May 26, 2012

They all need to step up their game against the eagles this week, AV had a bad game and I know he can do better this week, I expect Ben and the starters to get a series or two this week, the two backup QBs need to show improvement and I expect Coates to get an emphasis on holding on to the ball in practice this week as well; the secondary has got to improve nuff said there, we as fans expect and deserve to see improvement in this teams over all play at every position in this game and anything less is unacceptable............

24. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think Ben and the boyz are playing in this game neither

25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    each week we need to see some improvement from the guys that start to the guys that are the next man up and i expect we will. we also need to see groups improve ( db's), (OL), (TE's), (OLB's). the DB's need this preseason to gel together and with time they should. people forget that it takes time even for vets to gel when new parts are added. these guys are fairly new to the league, to playing time and to playing with each other. it will come but camp and preseason isn't the time for folks to expect midseason vet form from these guys.:cool: