1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Food for thought if Wallace leaves...

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by SteelByDesign, Feb 21, 2012.

1. SteelByDesign

SteelByDesign Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2011
    So I'm starting to read more and more about a team taking a chance on signing Mike Wallace away from us. That would really suck, but the more I've thought about it, the more I think it wouldn't be a devastation blow. Lets look at the possibilities...

The Bengals have a ton of cap room, need a #2 WR, and would be weakening a division rival. If they signed Wallace away from us we'd receive the 21st pick in the draft.

That gives us Brown, Sanders, and Cotch/Hines at WR... Plus probably a later draft pick (or maybe Gresham), and the 21st and 24th picks. This could do a lot for us... We could fill two big holes by taking a combo of any of these guys (Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Dontario Poe, Donte Hightower, Alshon Jeffrey, Michael Floyd).

OR we could trade one or both of those picks. According to Draft Countdown's trade chart those picks are worth 800 and 740 points... Combined that get's us into the 6th or 7th pick (Matt Kalil, Riley Reiff, Trent Richardson, Morris Claiborne).

OR (and this is my personal favorite), I think 12th to the cards is the highest DeCastro will go, the 10th pick costs us 1300 points. We package the 24th, 56th, and a late rounder for the pick and take DeCastro, then use the 21st pick on Poe or Hightower.

Now the Bengals are the best case scenario (if we have to lose him), but you get the idea. I've heard the Ravens, Pats, and Niners as well. I don't see it though. The Ravens are trying to re-sign Flacco and Ray Rice right now and both want top 5 money at their position. The Pats will probably get a discount on Brandon Lloyd b/c he wants to play with McDaniels.

2. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    Man I thought this was an intriguing topic... guess not haha

3. rmorphy

rmorphy Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    If Wallace goes to the Bengals, we will never beat them again. ThereĀ“s no way that our secondary can cover AJ Green AND Wallace. No way!!

4. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    This is a very intriging topic. One that deserves its due research. I can do some of it Wednesday nite thursday morning.

We must 1st determine other team needs and isolate those that have a need for WR. Cross reference that with the teams with cap space and teams willing to lose a 1st rd pick-- ( this rules out indy )-- and we should get a narrowed down list of teams we could lose Wallace to. This would give us an idea of the pick we'd get and how we could use it in a varying degree of ways.

We could lose Wallace but I think only a couple teams will valuse him more than the pick they'll be loosing. Cincy could be one of those teams.

Cajun-

5. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I place Cincinnati at the top of that list because I think Wallace would mean even more to a division rival than anyone else, because they'd be sticking it to us in the process... I just think the Ravens have higher priorities.

6. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Don't forget Cleveland. They have room, two 1st rd picks and a need at WR. Also a div. Rival.

San Fran has room and could use a top WR to get them over the hump. Some say N.E. but I doubt it. They may have the room and 2 1st rd picks and a need for an outside WR threat but I think they concentrate on defense since they already have a potent offense.

Cajun-

7. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    You can rule out Cleveland. They'd have to give us their first round pick (number 4). If they could get away with giving us number 22, think they'd be in serious play for him.

High needs teams for receivers, per Draftek- Highest need- San Francisco. Major Need- Carolina, Chicago, Cincinati, Cleveland, Jacksonville, Minnisota, Oakland, St. Louis, Washington.

I could see San Fran taking a shot. Wallace is more of a sure thing than anyone they're likely to get at that point in the draft. Cinci has the triple whammy of two first rounders, cap space, and dealing a blow to us. New England has the same as Cinci, plus dropping a first rounder ten spaces lower to us. Only other team that can try without giving up a top ten pick is Chicago. If he has to go to someone, please God let it be Chicago.

8. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    And even worse with the Cheatriots is that if they do get Wallace and resign Welker, that gives them three picks in the first two rounds to build their defense.

9. thesteeldeal

thesteeldeal Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    What do you guys think of Joe Adams or Jarius Wright in the 3rd or 4th.....or later, if we lose Wallace.

10. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    If we lose wallace not all is bad. We do get a 1st round pick. two first round picks can do wonders for our OL & DL.

Plus, we won a super bowl with Cedrick Wilson, Antwon Randle El and Hines Ward. I know Brown, Sanders, Ward & Cothery are better.

11. Emerald Steel

Emerald Steel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Letting Wallace go in trade of a first round pick wouldn't be so bad. If we got Dont'a Hightower and Dontari Poe in the first and a LG in the second my head would implode.

Plus we have depth at WR and we'll need to resign Brown and Sanders next year as well.

12. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    This is a good point. If we do keep Wallace we need to get him a long term deal... otherwise we'll be dealing with this same issue next offseason with all 3 of them.

Another thing is what if we sign Wallace to a fat contract and then Brown outplays him again this season... My guess is Brown's going to want more than him.

13. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yeah...with these guys playing so well..they could end up potentially facing having a ton of money going to WRs just like the LBs right now. I know Sanders hasnt been 100% solid due to injuries...but when he's healthy he's a good player. They could loose Wallace this year...and use a mid round or so pick on another WR this year, re-do Hines' deal...resign Cotchery for a few years and the team will be good. I actually like Brown as much...if not more than Wallace right now.

14. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    I love Wallace's ability to take the top off the coverage... I think he and Brown could be a deadly combo... But we've seen this before. The front office had to re-sign Plaxico and Hines, and they couldn't afford both. I think they made the right decision.

If you think you can only keep one, then you might as well choose to let Wallace go since you'd be getting a 1st rounder in return.

15. gpguy

gpguy Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Yep! But who knows...I still have a gut feeling they will work out a long term deal.

16. HugeSnack

HugeSnack Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Wallace is WAY better than Plaxico ever was. Plax was never the deep threat Mike is, couldn't get open like Mike, couldn't run with the ball like Mike, and had no hands. People complain about Mike's 4 drops this year. I remember when Burress had 20. And we weren't even a passing offense!

17. SteelByDesign

Oct 20, 2011
    lol nobody was comparing Plax to Wallace. I was saying the situation is similar in that we have two good receivers and may have to make a tough decision like we did with Plax and Hines.